3D printed 18650 light, playing with the idea.

Looks pretty decent to me. Rough isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

What an amazing effort. Love what your doing. :+1:

Thanks!
On the outer shell the rough print actually does make it pleasant to hold, nicely gripy texture.

Thanks!
You have no idea how much i want the circuit board done and finally be able to push a button and get light.

Some days, you should just stay in bed, i had three boards left, enough to make 9 PCBs.

First one, the mask ripped, unusable.

Second one, not enough pressure, i thought i could get away with it, my own fault.
Slightly splotchy etching on one side, no idea why.
Unusable.

Third board, splotchy etching on one side again, no idea why.
Forgot i did not have a suitable board holder for double sided boards.
Forgot my gloves.
Forgot to turn on the UV lamp, but was unsure, risked double exposure.
Forgot to make new developing solution.
Forgot to top up the water level in the etching tank.
Forgot to check the stir bars before turning it on.
Man…

Lets try to salvage at least one board of the last three.

At least one should be usable, small victories!

http://i.imgur.com/6T1vSDa.jpg

IT IS CHARGING!

http://i.imgur.com/VN7Zgjk.jpg

Tomorrow i should get around to soldering the logic and LED driver, but those are the same as from the previous circuit, so they should work just fine.
After that i only got to make a new heat sink plate.

YAY!

So close. Looking good so far. Thanks for the update.

The pressure was mounting!

We have light, the whole thing seems to be working like intended:

Got to sort out the button situation, misjudged something a bit, got to design and print new ones that work with this.

That is pretty darn neat!!! Good job……… :+1:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

There was a lot of jumping about once the thing was partially together and finally producing some light.

The light output and pattern is OK, it could be more but i am happy with it:

http://i.imgur.com/hWxy1sX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zxzQbof.jpg

I think i want to print the head in transparent plastic as well, there is a lot of spill-light trapped in the head with the red plastic.

Looks very usable. Would make a nice around camp light. Good Job!

Its good to see the light. :slight_smile:

I’d think a small reflector and printed diffuser lens or tir optic would be preferred over back scatter from the head that would tend to affect your eyes more than help you see. Pretty darn cool in any case , mucho kudos! :+1:

Hell yea!

Is is more intended to be a “around the house” light at this moment but yea, that is an additional use i had in mind.
Rev2 should be somewhat water proof, once i get around to that.

Thanks!
The good thing about that is, i can just print a few parts and compare them, problem solved!
Will do that once i get the buttons sorted out.

Congrats. I think we all felt your excitement and frustrations. Well done on sticking with it. Looks good.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

In today’s news, the buttons are in!

The hardware is more of less complete at this point, now the slow and painful process of writing the proper firmware starts.
Writing code is the bane of my existence, i hate it.

Let’s talk functions, how would you use the three buttons the light has?
At the moment it is pretty much just:

Up -> Brightness up
Middle -> Push to toggle on/off
Down -> Brightness down

What i want to do is…

Middle, push and hold to turn on, when released turn off.
Middle, double click to toggle on/off.

Push and hold Up and Down together, lock the light.
Push and hold Up and Down together, unlock the light.

Pretty basic… i can not think of many other features i want, what do you think?

Have not posted in a while, better say something :slight_smile:

I have been using the light for the past weeks for various things and while it is a bit big, i think i am happy with the size.
There has been a bit of tinkering with the software, the voltage reading on the battery works.
It turns off when the battery level gets too low and shows that by blinking the status led.

The power button needs to be recessed, i am a bit unsure if i want to change it to 4-5 preset brightness levels or leave it as is.

Besides that, meanwhile i have started on the proper circuit board and the metal PCBs that should get shipped off to china if i decide i want to spend money on that.

Would someone be interested in an assembled circuit board and LED board?
It is not cheap, but not ludicrously expensive either, i would be willing to make a few if someone is interested.

Besides that, i think i do not like the lens, there are some thoughts about a DIY reflector out of aluminium.

Posted an update here: