3rd annual BLF Scratch Made light Contest - Announced!

Nice weather, calm seas, lots of friends with beer and wine. Yah, good trip. :beer: boat captain speared a 27lb Yellowfin Tuna and sliced some up fresh w/wasabi and soy sauce. Several 400-500lb giant Black Sea Bass were also sighted along with Rays of several kinds plus the usual denizens of the notsodeep. In on spot I counted over 20 7-8” green Abelone in ~5 minutes(can’t take abs on scuba though). Surface temp was around 65F but there was a thermocline ~55’ below which the temp was 55F. We dove off San Clemente, Santa Catalina, and Santa Barbara islands before cruising back up to Santa Barbara. On the crossing between the northern islands and the harbor we saw a large pod of dolphins(~100) and another of Humpback whales(maybe 20).

yes, finally :slight_smile: , I was afraid it wont happen this year.

I’m in. It’ll be my first scratch build. No machinery other than power tools like drill press

As my waste to much time here milestone is about to click over I would like to give to a contestant of my choice here a small gift on the completion of the comp instead of having a giveaway random winner comp. I love what the hand built guys come up with.

Bother, now I must meet the deadline: I'm going to win!!!!

Thanks for providing the extra prize, Steve!

Time is my enemy now-days, but since a piece of work from MRsDNF is in the prizes, will have to find a way to be in 

Some updates on a Prize Light:

- I have managed to round up 70 % of the parts needed to build another near-identical second Stream Pipe Light to offer as one of the prizes for Scratch Build Contest.
All i need to locate/find is the 1/2” inch x 5” long brass thin-wall tube for the 19650 section of the light,( and i have a source from a local plumbing contractor who may have this size i need.
Also i need to find a 30 - 32mm TIR optic for the main light head. All the other Brass parts, electronics, and components i have gathered up.

:Edit: for my own entry in the scratch-Build category, i may build something similar to the Steam Pipe Light but different in the way that it will use many sources of power to create light, using LiIon cells, NiMH cells, Gasoline, Kerosene, Solar, and AA primaries in different ways to produce “Light” using parts, scrap, raw materials, pieces, fittings, parts of appliances, and components from everything dated between the 1950’s to now. (only If the parts and components qualify for the category.

I think I might be able to help with both the brass and the optic. Pm me if you’re interested.

Last year there was two categories, Hand-built and Machine-built.

- Hand built used no “machines” as in no Machine lathes, no mills, no CNC machines, ets. Only basic power tools were allowed. ( ie: hand drill, grindstone, sanders, dremels, etc were ok.)

• Machine-built were allowed to use Lathes, Milling Machines, CNC Machines, etc.

PM sent.

Heh, the thin wall brass I have is 1/64”

[quote=JamesB]

How much you askin’ for the ole lady?

my wheels are turning. It’s gonna be big and ugly

.and unfortunately expensive

big+ugly+expensive sounds good to me! Looking forward to the build :-)

Are finned heatsinks allowed in the hand made category? How about fans? Those are things that I can’t make but need.

fans and fins are strongly encouraged in the handmade category if they result in ridiculously bright flashlights :steve:

I'm have nothing to do with this comp other than to build a light and see no problem with what your asking. I'd say the skys the limit. Its just what you are using to build the light not what is being used in it. It sounds like someones creative juices are starting to escape. I hope some escape in my direction.

Looking forward to seeing the rules this year.

For the hand-made category, the 1st year was real "grass-roots" stuff, & I thought the rules were good (except for the Dremel, because I didn't have one... :| )

The 2nd year was more open, allowing the use of a drill press, which allowed for more complex builds ( & still working within the rules, could be used as a basic lathe or mill).

I'm hoping there will be some 'twist' or variation this year again - I'm sure something is being brewed up.... :beer:

Yeah I pretty much have 1/2 of mine planned out. It’s just a matter of getting the parts. The juices of innovation are definitely flowing.

Bump, just a reminder to get your parts ordered. The inexpensive vendors have the slowest shipping times. It wouldn’t hurt to mention in the comments that it’s for a contest build. Don’t forget RMM and Illum.