3rd Annual DIY Contest - prize light builds, OL and the Duck square off, OL wins!

Welcome to the forum NicoleK, I’m just waiting for the cells to charge.

Beam shots beginning the op.

Sweet. You have to be happy with that. Its a good feeling when a long winded plan comes together. Now I want to see a build like this fully custom though.

You provide the metal and I’ll provide the wood. Tag.

Be careful what you wish for. You now get to choose between a fully custom machine made masterpiece or one of two heavily customized POS lights. Whichever of those two gets picked first is the winner of the real contest that only two of us were selected by dumb luck, random choice, or sheer idiocy to participate in.

No pressure then! :slight_smile:
As it happens I have decided to chicken out and pass the buck on deciding the outcome of this competition, for the reason given.

Best of luck and many thanks for donating the light and the inspirational build thread.

Another beautiful work of art! :slight_smile:

40W of art.

It may come in handy as a heater with your cooler weather coming on.

Justin is the winner, his was chosen first! A fun project I would highly recommend to any who style themselves as junkie modders.

I still think your light was the best for sure. No question about it at all. The time, energy and skill put into your lights, far exceeds what most of us ever achieve. I have a rep, but that's because I am just possibly the most vocal modder and that's all. You and others, have shown your superior skills and attention to detail many times.

To me we as the readers here are the real winners watching two craftsmen perform there work in front of us. The inspiration gained cannot be expressed in words. To you both thanks.

Apologies to OL for missing him before. I'll blame what I blame a lot of other things on. I forgot.

Years from now nobody will remember the duck or any of the few lights he quacked over but you have a well deserved reputation based on a splendid array of mods. Thank you for the praise though. I think I enjoy the creative aspect the most, saying what if… and then making it happen.

BOTH of you are winners on top. Its always a pleasure to watch builds from you both. :beer:

Beautiful creation. :slight_smile: the wood grip adds that aesthetic class to a very unique light.

As n10sivern said, polishing a t**d since a 502b has pretty weak threading. I’d considered starting with an L2 but for what I had in mind the UF was a better choice and I think led to a more attractive light. I still think that a bunch of us starting with the same host and from there anything goes would make for a truly fun event. Maybe a C8 or a tube style, SRK, or whatever. Offset in the year from the regular DIY contest.

With the help of a little liquid nitrogen, turds polish up quite nicely… just watch out when they thaw…

Good suggestion! something like a C8 cook-off comp. :beer:

+1. Maybe modding a different light each year? And the model could be revealed only when the comp begins.

That would be a cool idea actually.
As in doing a C8 Comp one year, or a 502, 501, L2, SRK, SK68, etc. and any popular, low-cost budget light that we all know of.
A custom build comp for a single model of light, to see what we all can come up with working within the perimeters of all having to mod the same model of light.