3rd batch produced!! GBGB: 2nd batch of BLF-348 (Classy and Small 1xAAA Stainless Steel light, with Nichia NVSW219B-V1 R9050)!

Yesterday I went to try one of my barely touched BLF-348 shelf queen with a eneloop, worked fine for about 3 minutes and then suddenly shut down, won’t turn on again with any battery or switch bypass.

Disassembled the light and the LED works, soldering is ok, so I’m sure is the driver that went faulty, do you think if I contact gearbest they have spare drivers?

I’m interested in a new driver too!

Not complaining, because I looked long & hard to try to understand why I believed these to be electrically regulated. No mention of regulation on any of the ads or the OP or anywhere other than people expressing their opinions. More “Hopeium”, I guess…

But I’d be happy to find a single mode, fully regulated driver that fits, with greater or equal ILED to this one. And a momentary ON switch… So I dream on….

Finally got mine a couple of days ago, ordered on 05/08. Just in time to gift one to a friend who is a physician, won’t see him again for quite possibly a long while.

Went through the whole order and found one with the highest CRI to my eyes. There was one! that was clearly different from the others, looked more SW45 whilst the rest all looked more SW50 and seemed to wash out reds more. I would have definitely kept it had it not been needed in that capacity.

Pros: The machining between joints match very well, fit and finish are good. Clip holds well enough. I like the single mode, and output is decent even on alkaleaks. Tint is nice.

Cons: Tail switch plunger is sorta sloppy but works well. A couple of the emitters are off center. But at this price point its hard to complain.

Overall I’m very satisfied and will be placing another order soon.

One thing I’d really like to see?

A 2-cell version!

-Michael

this flashlight is for ever sold out??:laughing: not possible to get?:slight_smile:

Not at all http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_227505.html

The “full pack” (with gift box) is on flash sale for $7,99:
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_332445.html

It´s a great light, does somebody know the exact kelvin value of the nichia LED used? It´s such a nice neutral light, should be around 5000K, I like this tint much more than the tint of the Astrolux A01 I just got, this has 4000K and is just too yellowish for my taste.

K.

Neutral white (4745 - 5310K)

I actually prefer the warm A01 tint at 4000K, but the BLF348 is okay too (because it’s high CRI). The CCT of mine measure between 5200K - 5300K. I consider that to be on the cool side of neutral, but it’s still a nice tint due to the great colour rendition.

I’m not too fussy about tint. Anything between 3000K-6000K are good for me.

Everything over 6000K is bad for my eyes.

Thanks guys!

+1. this is too bright for me too. I wish; if possible; a 3 mode would great :innocent:

2 modes would be enough for me on this light. I find multi-mode with a mechanical clicky can get rather tedious if there are too many modes to click through. Multi-mode works much easier with an electronic switch.

But, for the purposes I use this light, the single mode and output level of it are just about right as it is.

If they do make a multi-mode at some point in the future, then a mode at 10 lumens and 100 lumens (on a AAA cell) would be great. Better yet, make it a 1xAA light with those 2 modes.

If they went with 3 modes, add a moonlight mode, but also implement mode memory so we don’t have to click through to medium or high all the time.

I know it wouldn’t be that popular, but it would be interesting to see a version made in copper for better heat dispersion. I would really like to use a 10440 cell, but the heat issue makes it not practical in its current form.
Question: Is a reverse clicky easier to make or something. I prefer a forward clicky for its momentary ability without having to actually turn the light on. I was just wondering why the decision was made to make it a reverse clicky. I know that the original Singfire 348 is a reverse clicky, and that is why it was carried over to the BLF version.

I bought some of these nichia BLF-348 AAA lights just for travel. But what a hassle! They set off all the airport and other security alerts in USA, EUROPE and Australia. The xray scanners see them as either bullets or detonators. What a pain.
I do like them though.

I’m not sure a copper body would help much. From the heating, it seems like most of the heat stays in the head, while the body remains quite cool. I think that implies that it’s not very well heatsinked. Of course, they could also make a better heatsink if they made a copper version.

Maybe I’m wrong about the heatsinking not being very good; I haven’t taken apart the light to check. But all my other aluminum lights (and steel, though that is limited) seem much better at heating the entire light, not just the head. It could just be that the 348 body is so long in proportion to the diameter, so hard to get the heat to propagate down the tube. Copper would help that. But I’m not convinced that’s the only problem.

I think most people prefer reverse clickies (I do). And, on a multi-mode light (not the case here), forward clickies don’t make much sense because they mess up the mode switching. I like reverse clickies, because they usually are recessed to allow tail-standing (again, not the case with this light).

The person who makes the 1000th post gets a free 348 from me.

You must have joined BLF no later than June 9, 2016.
You cannot make contiguous posts to reach #1000. If you do, the next person to post gets the 348.

That’s very generous enelooper

BLF-348 with her trusty friends. :slight_smile:

this little aaa flashlight has really 500 lumens?i heard…or only on lion aaa?