42 Emitter Flashlight mod. UPDATE, Now running on 18V and FINISHED

Thanks, glad you asked!

But first I must comment on something Bort posted, way back on comment #1

Our inside joke, concerns to build cost of this light.

The parts:

1. The host I had. It is about 10 years old and had a worn out 12V SLA battery, so no real cost there.
  2. Those MR-16 bulbs that I used, originally cost 29.97, I bought 1 for $7.53 to test
    Read about it here
    But ended up scoring a bunch of them for a penny each.
  3. The Lithium drill pack I got in the recycle bin at Lowes and the BMS board and charging header I got from the recycle bin at Home Depot. The Ryobi Lithium charger i had.
  4. The cooling fan I pulled from a laser printer, runs on 24V
  5. The piece of plexiglass I had, actually it was from a mistake I made when cutting apiece for a dryer vent.
  6. The biggest expense was the glue that I had to go out and buy, as I had run out. :slight_smile:
    I alluded to that when I responded to Borts’ comment

To which I responded:

So Bort, you wanted to know the finally tally

7 - MR-16’s ———- 7 cents
1 tube of Super Glue 1 Dollar

Total cost of build $1.07, + tax of course! :bigsmile:

So MRsDNF, when you ask “what’s next on the agenda?”

I have to say it depends. Now that I am broke, I first have to save up for my next foray. :bigsmile:

Actually, my big takeaway on this, is the battery pack and the novel way to charge it. Can you see the possibilities that open up by using a drill pack charger to recharge the cells. Say one were to build a 40 cell monster light, can you imagine how difficult it would be to make the cell holders, with all the contact points and resulting conductance issues? Then the problem with recharging 40 cells, say 4 at a time in an OPUS.
This way all 40 could be charged all at once without the need of a battery holder etc. And a drill pack charger charges at a faster rate.
A better way to do it though would keep all the electronics in the light and only breakout the charging connectors.
At any rate, a pack like that should absolutely be charged outdoors under constant supervision. For me, that would be an absolute must.

Love it. Beam shot is great. That light would be perfect to ceiling bounce a ball room during a power outage or for creating a nice ambiance during an large outdoor gathering. It will also be great for foggy and misty situations. Plus, the light just looks fricken cool as heck. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Well done , sir . Well done .

Thanks for sharing .

He decided to soup up a light

So he scrounged up some parts left and right

When the job was all done

He then had lots of fun

Blasting photons out into the night

nice work on the big flooder :slight_smile:

You overspent on this light, for $1.07 + tax you coudl have gotten an infintie number of free harbor freight DMMs :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m just kidding, thats amazing, in retail price cost i am sure it would be well over a hundred dollars!