4C Maglite mod, for a light, for me to carry at work. Done, with beam shots

Good to see you finish this very unique light. I’d be interested to hear your views on it after using it for a week or two. :beer:

Have you tested its head whacking prowess? We want videos of you wailing on some miscreants…

What sort of head whacking are you talking about young man? I dont want to see that video thanks. :wink:

I love it, a mini TK75! That battery carrier is a work of art! Could you please tell us how hot does the head get when the light is used in high mode?

Awesome.

Wow, this this light turned out awesome! Your battery carrier is really cool. What a solid piece!

Beamshots look awesome! Especially considering you had to remove the plating from the reflector and polish them back up. Excellent job on that too!

How did you put the 3 drivers in? Did you pot them? Gratifying to see how you wired em up, I’ve been working on the ideaology of that with a 4up planned. Had about decide to go that route when another option became available. So I’ll be using a Master Dr. Jones driver, de-populated of regulation chips, with 2 specially made boards carrying nothing but regulation chips, 2 emitters for each board run in parallel.

Thanks for showing how you wired em, still curious as to how you stacked em. :wink:

Hope it’s going well and the new light is everything is looks to be when in actual use.

I don’t know yet. I will tell you in a few days, after I have a chance to spend time using it.

EDIT: After playing with it at work, The head starts to heat up within a minute, but it's never going to get "too hot", because with both the Panasonics and the 20R batteries, the power falls out from the 9+ amp draw before the light will get too hot. Within the first few minutes, I could see a reduction in output, and after that it slowly reduced till it looked more like the medium setting than the high setting. Both sets of batteries were a little different in how long before they sagged, but it was close enough that it wasn't worth noting.

I did not pot them, nor did I actually “stack” them. There’s lots of room in a Maglite, so I just wired them up one on top of the other, but nothing holding them together, other than just the stiffenss of the wires. I have stacked them before, using a solid wire or wires running through the holes in the outer edge of the drivers.

Great mod , Old-Lumens .

I am gratified to hear that you will actually be using one of your creations .

Well done .

Sweet. Very nice the battery holder.

O-L,

Nice bit of engineering on that parallel battery holder! The C-mag is my favorite host. Enjoy that beauty!

O-L, that battery holder is fantastic. Knowing you haven’t exactly been a lithium ion supporter and the tight tolerances of the holder, how nervous were you the first time you slipped in UNPROTECTED cells? I know you double checked with a meter but my heart would still be pounding.

Well, actually a little thin slip of plastic tape folded over, works well between the battery and the contact when trying it out for the first time.

Impressive result with the holder.
Are you familiar with Download C Ring? (Mag C Lanyard ring)
It’s about 3mm thick, probably just enough extra room to allow 1st cell extra clearance.

I understand what you are saying and using a spacer of some type was a thought, but it was an after thought.