5.75A to emitters TK70!

Wow! I thought I had some powerful lights! It goes to show somone always has somthing better, faster or more powerful!!r

Yes, I will try those to see what it will do to the light picture. Smaller emitters driven by the same current will always throw better, even if you loose 30% of the light output compared to bigger ones. Besides, I think 2A is the limit for this light(I have ordered a j 20 to feed 3A), and that level should match XP-G2s well.

A j 20? Do you have a link to it?
Oh nevermind! I thought you were talking about a driver. Lol.
Ken

Now that you have modified it, wouldn’t it interest you to push it even harder? I think the throw can be made even farther by de-doming your LEDs. :slight_smile:

I am thinking about it!
:wink:

Ken

[quote=GBD]
Hi!
Looks like you are in direct drive. As I understand, it can happen when you feed a boost driver too high voltage to regulate. /quote]

I do believe that is exactly what is happening. Maybe I should slide in another adapter tube and try some Panasonic 18650s! J) hehehe!

Ken

Hi Hyprmtr,

I just received a new TK70. Sadly, Im already thinking about modding it to keep up with my growing collection of modded BTU shockers. I have a few questions if you dont mind.

Hows your TK70 mod holding up so far?

Any updates to your mod?

Did you ever receive your 32650 Trustfire flames? If so, how do you like them?

Also, this will only operate in high mode with 3 lico’s (no med or low)?

Thanks

its been working great! It pretty much only has high mode. It does still have sos and strobe. I am still using (3) TF 26650 batteries.

I never did get the 32650 batteries.
Ken

Thanks for the fast reply.

If you return to 4 nimh cells, do you still have the 4 mode l-m-h-turbo?

Are you using protected cells and relying on the protection circuits to disconnect at the end of your runs - or do you check your cells with a DMM after your runs to see where your voltages are?

About how much total run time do you have on this setup?

No driver cooling mods yet?

Now the big one… can you puh-lease post a pic of your resistor mod? Did the resistor mod make a difference using nimh cells?

Sorry for all the questions. Its an expensive light and Im trying to convince myself to crack it open. lol

I’m not using any resistors at all. I just bridged the resistor spot with solder
I never did try the nickle batteries. I’m sure it would flash or not turn on at all it might work in low mode. I do check my batteries before I run it. It has not triped the PCB on the batteries yet. The longest I have run it is about 5 minutes. I did not do anything to cool the driver. It would be a good idea though. Sorry I dont have any pics of the mod right now. I can take some tomorrow for ya! I hope I covered everything!

Ken

A pic of your resistor mod would be helpful. Thanks for going through the trouble of getting it for me. While youre at it, (just to make sure) could you please check and see if the modes still work with 4 x nimh cells? Id hate to lose my brightness modes if I can help it. Im also considering a taskled driver in the future but would rather not go that route if I can help it.

Here is a pic of the driver. I bridged both spots where the r050 resistors were(near the top by the big red wire). Another thing if you didn’t know, I did also reflow XML2 U2 LEDs on the copper sinkpad. I dont know how long the stock T6 emitters will handle the high current.

I just checked it with 4 tenergy nimh batteries. It does have a lower mode. If you cycle through the modes 3 are about the same brightness and one is about medium brightness. Strobe and sos work with the 4 nimh also.

Ken

I just tried 2 TF26650 batteries and it works the same as if it had the 4 nimh batteries. It makes for a shorter light too! I bet 2 32650 batteries would work great in this light!

Ken

Thanks for all the tests and the photo. At least it still retains a medium mode with less voltage. It looks like I need to get out my blowtorch and strap wrenches and get to work. I like the fact that the larger cells have more capacity and dont sag nearly as much while under load, which has been the limitation of the BTU shocker. Did you find a taskled driver that you would recommend? I might go straight for that option if there is one up to the “task”. XM-L2 + reflow wont be a problem.

Thanks again!

I have a H6flex that I plan on eventually putting in my TK70. If the stock modified driver ever smokes I will install it!

Your welcome for the info and tests. My pleasure!

Ken

Hi Hyprmtr, thanks again for posting. I just received 3 x unprotected TF32650’s and popped them into my TK70. A quick and dirty comparison to my BTU Shocker XM-L2 on turbo confirms about 1/3rd more lumens from the TK70, and I havent even taken it apart to resistor mod it yet! As speculated, the driver appears to be going into direct drive at this voltage and driving the hell out of those poor little XM-L’s. Im going to hold off on tearing this one down for a while because of the high vF of XM-L2. As is, its still far brighter than I really need. Its to bad there arent modes with 3 x 32650 cells, but man… what a beast with decent run time. It sure gets hot in a hurry now! The Shockers sit on the shelf now and might end up on the front bumper of my pickup. The TK70 is so much easier to carry with its thinner battery tube. With nimh it runs as before, so no damage… yet. Your attempt to run 4 lithium cells convinced me how robust this driver must be. But to run 4 x 32650’s with H6flex, you’d need another extension tube. Do you know where to buy them?

To handle the 32650’s, I took a D-maglite tail spring (newer version with the cross bar on the big end) and stretched it by about one third. Then I soldered a 2mm x 20mm copper disk to the small end and soldered in some copper braid. The stock TK70 spring self-centers on the copper disk when I tighten the tail cap, and it works for both 2 and 3 x 32650 arrangements with no rattle. Its an easy spring to build and has very little resistance to carrying the bigger amps.

Maybe some day XM-L3 will be introduced, and it will have lower vF to make the swap worth the trouble. That or the stock emitters will blow and force the mod for the L2’s. :bigsmile:

What a great and extremely versatile mega-light this ol girl turned out to be. This is so much more than I had ever bargained for. :bigsmile:

I wonder is the TK70 capable of taking 32650? Are you guys owning the usual TK70 or the special edition that being talked around here before?

What? Read my post directly above yours.

Ya I did read them. I mean this TK70S as mentioned by one member,

So you guys are not using TK70S right?