5B1 or 5D2

[/quote] i have XM-L U2 cool white 1B and a olight s20 of unknown warm tint [/quote]

My recommendation still says the same.

Rather bad that 1B, especially if you do side by side comparisons with a 2C or 3C.

Out of those 2 I would go with 5B as its closer to 4300k

I have only tried the 5D2 tint and it’s very nice neutral, brings out rich colors with it’s 80+ CRI.
From this chart you can see it will will have less yellow and more red than 5B1.
Imo it’s good when LED can bring out more red.
Regardless, both are T4 bin and 80+CRI and pretty close to each other on the chart.
Can’t go wrong with either but I choose 5D2.

For those who consider typical Nichia 219 TINT (not temperature) to be the benchmark. Then I would say the 5D2 is closer to the Nichia 219,despite being further away in temperature than the 5B1. Just saying, because temperature is not all.

i’ve never seen a nichia 219 but since both of these are 80+ cri i was planning on going with the warmest one even though they are not that far in difference anyways

Yes I understand the tint would be closer to the Nichia 219
But my preference as they are both 80+ CRI, I’d prefer it without the pink tint.

I think the only possible answer is, 'one of each'. :bigsmile:

I agree. Think of it as a school project.

Thats my approach! Way easier.. :bigsmile:

In three of my .. ehm.. counting.. 20 incoming packages there are 6 different XM-L2s and one UV LED. :)

Oh no, I though I was cured. 20 Packages! :X

(I mostly blame Wallbuys recent sale, and a few slow packages from various places.)

Hey RaceR, what UV-led do you have on order, just curious... :-)

Posted here, in order to avoid OT. :)

i wish, i would also get he xintd x3

I’d go with the R2D2 tint. The C3P0 tint is a little too golden and whiney for my tastes. But if you can find a 27B/6, buy it.

the R2D2 tint makes too much noise, i like silent lighting that is stationary

I got some of the T4 5D2 from IOS and fell in love with them. Wanted more and sent Hank a note asking if he would get more in future and he sent a note back saying that the 5D2 has been discontinued. So does that mean that Cree has actually stopped making them for some reason? Anyone heard anything more about that?

I’ve noticed they have been sold out for a while now.
Maybe Hank means that Cree doesn’t have any at this point in time.

I don’t think Cree stopped making them.
It’s my understanding that LEDs are made then binned according to how they perform color/brightness wise.
Cree might not have any XML2s in the 5D2 bin.

Maybe contact Hank and ask for clarification and see if he will be getting any other bin close to the 5D2.

On a side note, I’ve got the 5D2 tint and like it a lot, makes me wanna try the 6A1 80+CRI which would be slightly warmer but less yellow according to the color chart.

27b/6 is well worth a Google if you have a spare ten minutes and dont mind people hearing you lol for no apparent reason.

I followed your advice and tried it before going to bed. Not a good time to start to peel layers from what appears to be a whole new Universe I did not know existed, will have to go back tomorrow and see if I can get a handle on it.

the spider drawing would work if it were from someone more famous