670nm deep red led helps eyesight

Sadly, everyday computer screens are unable to show you what 670nm red light actually looks like. It is because of the primary colors that a computer screen can display. It cannot display a deeper red color than the red primary color.

Color space standards used for computer screens and video are not the same, but those used for video can be used to explain the issue:
(1) HD video - Rec. 709 (612nm red primary)
(2) Digital Cinema - DCI-P3 (615nm red primary)
(3) UHD video - Rec. 2020 (630nm red primary)

Many computer screens and TVs have a decent coverage of #1, some also #2, but #3 is not that common. #2 and #3 are often called wide color gamut. Even if a computer screen supports wide color gamut, it is unlikely that its red primary color is any deeper than the red primary colors mentioned above.

This website has a lot more information about color spaces, I found it quite interesting:
https://clarkvision.com/articles/color-spaces/

respectfully disagree, on my iMac Retina Display, the test screen is too orange

here is 620 and 660 side by side, you can see the test screen looks like 620nm

that is not to say 620nm does not have benefits too :slight_smile:

I’m interested in this far red light. Can you please post the beamshots of P60 far red vs. 660nm deep red?

i agree that is a much better comparison test, thanks for posting the image

thank you for the education :slight_smile:
atm Im looking for the actual Red Spectrum highest nm output of my 2015 iMac Retina Display

help wanted

thank you too for the link, and food for thought
I always appreciate your posts.

The photo of the two red beams is from Andy Zhu, check out his photo site:

I have utmost confidence in the colors of the image. Apparently my computer has exceptional Red Rendering… who knew?

I was surprised that I do really well on color tests, on this screen. Despite cataracts, macular degen that makes my left eye useless, and bifocals that I refuse to upgrade to Mr. Magoo… I just use large fonts :slight_smile:

Now Im learning that my iMac is High CRI too! lol

which makes me wonder, what nm are our displays capable of?

about red light
I have been using a 620nm on sore muscles. It helps. Helps with headache too. seems to make scabs dry out and flake off faster. It dried pimples out too.

about green light…
it feels much “cooler”
also relieves pain and speeds healing

one of the mechanisms of Red action is to feed light to energize mitochondria, not just in the retina… holding the red light against my chest, charges the blood moving through the heart

moving the light or moving my head and holding the light in one place, promotes neuron ganglia organization and signaling to the brain, so definitely a good idea also…

I just got a C01R
Im really happy with it

on lowest mode I get 0.5 lumens on my meter

not sure if your light is a LOT different, or you have a calculation error

in this pic, the C01R is on medium, which measures 10 lumens on my meter.

pic is a link to the C01R thread

for reference on left is the low mode (3 lumens), of the C01S and on right, the low mode of the C01R

Beamshots will probably be less revealing than you might hope. The apparent color will depend not only on your monitor’s ability to produce reds beyond 620nm (which is likely minimal), but also on the sensitivity of the camera to capture the image, and even the color profile of the image file. I know some photographers who do really color critical work like digitizing art work are frustrated by this. As I understand it, the sRGB color profile used most commonly only extends to 612nm.

Meanwhile, here is an OLED display spectrum from an iPhoneX, showing it’s red peak is at about 625nm. From other searching, it looks like the red peak is right around the same wavelength for conventional LED back-lit LCD screens, and for fluorescent backlit LCD’s.

You might be able to tell a little bit from the trick Jon_Slider has highlighted in a comparison, where 620nm light that is overexposed tends to stimulate the camera’s green channel a bit, and therefore appears orange, while 660nm light that is overexposed tends to stimulate the blue channel a little bit, appearing purple.

the next two are both 660nm:

I dont have Red light in order to see things, I use it to illuminate different parts of my body, eyes, ears, sinus, heart, neck, sore muscles, injuries, sore joints.

initial calculations indicate a 27 lumen output is roughtly equivalent to 40 mW/cm2

the second mode on the Sofirn C01R is 10 lumens on my meter. It is plenty strong, imo

more reading about different spectrums
“Low level light therapy (LLLT) is a growing field in photomedicine: 5,700 citations in PubMed at the date of writing.

Light intensities used in LLLT are moderate and non-destructive (maximum a few kW/m2)

There is observational evidence that R-NIR photons and presumably other wavelengths (in model experiments we worked with 670 nm—a wavelength for which bulk water is practically transparent) interact with the bound water, i.e., nanoscopic interfacial water layers (IWL) attached to surfaces, especially to hydrophilic ones.

Miyamoto et al. used moderate levels of 514.5 nm laser light

the effect of 810 nm laser light (40 mW/cm2, 22.6 J/cm2) applied at frequencies of 10 and 100 Hz as well as in the continuous wave (CW) mode on the healing of dermal wounds in animals. As in other studies, it was found that the therapeutic effect of the pulsed mode was significantly superior to that of the CW mode (1). Importantly, wound contraction was clearly more pronounced at 10 Hz than at 100 Hz. ”

note the reference above, to using PWM at very slow speeds, creating better results.

I think we can accomplish similar benefits of pulsed exposure, by moving the light frequently.

So the infamous strobe mode is actually useful for something after all. It’s not clear how long (i.e. the duty cycle) are the 10Hz pulses, if they are very short the strobe may not be a good analogue.

Note that 22.6J / 0.04W = 551.5s exposure, a bit over 9 minutes. I think the 40mW is an average, in pulse mode the pulses would need higher intensity.

Edit: this paper from 2011: Comparison of Therapeutic Effects between Pulsed and Continuous Wave 810-nm Wavelength Laser Irradiation for Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice used a 50% duty cycle. Of course the conclusions may not carry to other tissues.

yes, strobe, and even PWM, may have benefits from intermittent inputs

definitely very interesting

also thanks for the link
we are seeing a range of useful frequencies:

“More recently, our studies have shown that both 665-nm and 810-nm laser can significantly improve the neurobehavioral performance”

this suggests that the available 730nm LEDs are also potentially very useful therapeutically

There are inexpensive devices in Amazon and Aliexpess that use both 660nm and 850nm LEDs, but they are not battery powered, most battery powered ones are more expensive. There is nothing that would prevent making an inexpensive flashlight (e.g. P60 or Convoy S12) with mixed emitters using a slightly more complex driver, but there isn’t much demand.

I guess 730nm should be effective as well if both 665 and 810 are effective, but as most research is done with lasers only easily available wavelengths for lasers are tested.

Edit: 730nm lasers are easily available now, maybe they weren’t as common in the past?

I think there is plenty of research already, to show numerous physiological benefits of a range of frequencies.

I think it is a mistake to think that only 670nm is effective.

I also think it would be a mistake to think only Laser works.

Im happy to know that sticking a sofirn C01R in my nose is not going to cause brain damage, (who in their right mind would do that? lol)
and may in fact reduce brain damage.

So Im enjoying using red LEDs therapeutically. Something I knew nothing about before this thread.

ordered 730nm on 10mm board:

pic is a link

thanks all for the conversations and info sharing

I wonder if the eyelids act as a kind of natural deep red filter? Incan lights emit mostly in IR, and so would perhaps have a similar effect though closed eyes? Likewise the sun?

The sun probably to some extent, after all we evolved with it, it turns out that we never fully adapted to living sedentary lives inside buildings, thus the high levels of vitamin D deficiency and obesity. Incandescent will have most of the spectrum over 1000nm, you can find black body spectrum simulators in the internet, the fraction between 660nm and 1000nm for 2700K is much lower than for sunlight’s ~5500K.

Last month I asked Hank from intl-outdoor.com about XP-E2 Far Red 730nm, and he told me he can get that LED now.

I just placed an order for D4V2 with 5A constant current driver and XP-E2 Far Red 730nm.

I have 730nm coming from kaidomain

meanwhile, these are my 660nm options atm
5 , 10, 18 lumens

730nm arrived, I like it a lot for sore muscles, aching joints:

730nm is not useful for illumination, the maximum output on the Titanium T10T is now just 5 lumens. The 660nm in a T10T could reach 75 Lumens… on AA Eneloop…

Red Light for migraine

I gave one of my adult daughters, who suffers from recurring Migraine Headaches, a Maratac modded to 660nm Red. She used it for a few minutes yesterday, and a few hours later reported that her headache was gone.

btw, Sofirn C01R (670nm Red), are available now on Amazon.

Hi jon_slider, maybe anytime soon you can also test Sofirn's new C01 using a 5mm 670nm LED. They just spread the good news on another thread. :-)

Best regards from Germany to New Mexico

I have the Fitroch MR35 with RGB leds. Will this flashlight work? Wouldn’t a diffuser or waxed paper distort the color and thus the lights wave length?

Review Review with X-ray image: Fitorch MR35 (18650, RGBW-UV, 1200lm)
Product page https://www.banggood.com/Fitorch-MR35-XP-L2-1200Lumens-5lightcolors-Rechargeable-Portable-UV-LED-Flashlightt-p-1205114.html?cur_warehouse=CN

clemence made a red AAA jetbeam HCRI
I wonder what nm that was .
thanks