670nm deep red led helps eyesight

It is the civilian model. :person_facepalming:

The Tactical Model costs extra…

and is only sold to LeoMilitary personnel that are properly trained in unsafe operations.

LOL. If you need higher power than the C01R (for muscles?), you can buy a triple XP-E2 P60 660nm or 730nm drop-in for $17 on Kaidomain, and their P60 host and battery for $12 extra.

Edit:

Oh yes you are right about that, now i see what you were talking about.

i never looked into this before so i decided to do some testing to measure. With a stiff supply at 4.5V, the current of a cheapo 9x5mm white LED flashlight was about 260mA, but with AAA cells it never got that high using either old or brand spanking new cells.

i soldered some leads to measure Cell voltage and a fat wire to carry the tail current, and used 2 meters, so this should be some good test data. The Deep Red LEDs would have similar behaviour in one of these 9x5’s although the values may be different, but it does appear that the AAA alkaleaks are the limiting factor in these type of lights.

Old cells started at 4.1V Voltage current mA IR and Equiv. R Ohms
short test no timer 3.67 97 ir=dV/dI=4.43; R=V/I=38
3.62 94
3.59 90 40
New Cells + Timer
Timer seconds new cells, 4.70
init connect at T=0 4.42 167 dV/dI=1.67; V/I=26.5
10 4.42 178 24.8
20 4.42 177
30 4.42 175 25.2
40 4.42 172
50 4.43 151
60 4.43 148 29.9
Bounced back up 4.65
quick test repeat pull-in 4.46 190 ir=1 ; R = 23.5

great option for 18650 size, plug and play. :+1:

modding host options:
CR123: the middle light, Nitecore EX11.2 is on the bay, it has ramping, like anduril

its an easy mod to the XP LED of your choosing…
red and green XP LEDs available on kaidomain

for an AA host I suggest this Adier, its like a Tool AA

Hi.
I did what you said and it works.Even the light of the bigger light is not annoying at all bouncing on a white ceiling with all the other lights off. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to buy a 730nm far red flashlight, but I couldn’t find any for sale. I bought the triple XP-E2 Far Red 730nm P60 drop-in module with KDLITKER E6 host for $22.99.

I found this 1 week old review for KDLITKER E6 triple XP-E2:

Awesome! Glad it works for you and thanks for letting us know :slight_smile: (I’m terrible for feeding back stuff)

thanks!

and thank you

40/105=38%

today at 12:30pm direct sunlight measures 75 lumens on my meter

38% would be 29 lumens

thats much brighter than I expected… but, good to know that amount is not excessive

i aimed my light meter at the Sun around 4:30 and got a max reading of about 71000 lux.

It has a spectral response peak around 555nm and in the back of the manual has a conversion table for luminous flux (visible) to radiant power of 1 lumen = 1.464mW at 555nm.

Using this ratio, 40mW is 27.3 lumens at 555, which is not far off from your “29”

thank you :beer:

Im having fun using a 20 lumen red light for sore hiking muscles and joints, and cuts and bruises, from walking into tree branches I did not see :person_facepalming:

photon infusions, diffuse pain…

Photon Wand:

It just came in today C01R. i really like that it has a reversible clip, use it on a hat brim as head lamp.

i used a new AAA at 1.596V, and on low mode measured about 24 +/-2 lux holding at a distance of 11.1”, which is the distance at which lux ≅ lumens.

So i think low mode held 12” or 30 cm out in front of your closed eyes is really close to the research power level of 40mW/cm^2.

Looking directly at any beam is not recommended, but even on Low it is too bright, and Medium and High would be painful, this thing is really bright.

thanks!
and enjoy!

looking forward to mine

Subjectively i felt energized after using this light and it was quite refreshing.

i can “see” the light thru the eyelids and moved it around to shine in from all angles. The apparent intensity would seem to vary by angle also.

What was unexpected was “seeing” an increased intensity of the light from the extreme sides, either by moving the light to the side or by rolling the eye to the side with the light held in front.

Maybe some rods and cones are being excited that don’t normally get much activity?

It would interesting to hear from others if rolling the eye or varying the light angle produces any similar sensations—maybe we can do our own little BLF experiment.

I did the same experiment with the same results.

What is interesting is that with my eyes closed, shined the red light directly, you will see "bright" light but removing the light away from your eyes and looking right after i didn't get blinding sensation like watching into white light. And it was in the complete darkness. I could still see normally.

Weird sensation indeed

How did you order the C01R please?I want one too. :slight_smile:

The Beamax Lighting Store on Aliexpress still sells some Sofirn C01R. You may also find it on eBay. It’s almost sold out now. The next batch will most likely come with SST20-DR (660nm) for even better performance.

OK,I found it there,thank you.It was one of the new batch as you said,of 660nm.
Well,so far,so good. :slight_smile:

Glad I could help. :-) Actually, there should only be one type of C01R yet, always using Cree‘s XP-E2 photo red (660nm). Sofirn asked me if Luminus‘s SST20-DR (660nm) would be worth trying in the second batch of C01R. I said yes because I expect a slightly better beam with SST20 whereas XP-E2 is slightly smaller, prone to cause small artifacts underneath a TIR lens that suits better to SST20 (see C01S for comparison).

I agree about SST20DR and TIR

Can't wait for the second batch

i would be interested in some 5mm LEDs in the 670nm bin, just to build up a 9x5 for testing. Is anyone else interested in a dozen or so? i will investigate the MOQ from the vendor mentioned early in this thread.