670nm deep red led helps eyesight

LED efficiency could be around 60 at 350mA.

Datasheet for SST-20-DR, which is a similar LED, claims:
Wall-Plug Efficiency: typ. 60% @350mA
https://download.luminus.com/datasheets/PDS-003040-Rev-04-SST-20-DR.pdf

Walmmart sells basic plastic 9x 5mm lights for 99¢ with 3 AAA cells and a plastic separator for shipping.

If we could get some of those 670nm red 5mm leds if would be easy to swap them in. Really budget lights for sure.

Then you would have the exact format of the study.

I see orange in the pic, doesn’t that mean it might be lower than 660nm.

Im sure that is true, it is just my way of levelling the field

If you have a 670 nm light, and I have a 670 nm light, and we both measure the Lux… then the errors are a constant… other than the difference in our meters

see what I mean?
Im asking for lumens of red, to compare to lumens of red

even though yes, white lumens, green lumens, and red lumens, are not the same.

go for it!

yes, we dont know the nm of the light in the photo

I just ordered some 660nm to replace my 620nm, but Im not too concerned about needing to find 670…

I dont think there is just one LED frequency that is magic… the study used what they could find, on the cheap…

100g bags and staring at the sun?!! That’s helpful, cheers. :person_facepalming:

I’d like to thank G0ose and Glen Jeffreys for bringing some sense to the thread. About red light.

No need to rehash and criticize old stuff from over a month and a half ago—that is ancient and we are moving forward on the task, don’t look back.

OK, so — Sofirn red light, arm’s length, medium brightness, through closed eyes, for three minutes several days a week.
Is that the protocol recommended

With some scotch tape for a diffuser—a diffuser is definitely needed.

The 9 x 5mm light with White Leds draws 260mA, or 29mA each, when using 3 AAA (4.5V). The Vf for the 670nm Reds(AlGaAs) is much lower, 1.8V @ 20mA, and the radiant power is 6mW each at that current. The max continuous current is listed as 50mA.

The radiant power of 40mW/cm2 at the exit of the FL may have come from a total radiant of ~150mW with 450mA current draw from the 3 AAA cells, using 3.8 cm2 area of the 2.2cm diameter lens.

example of Vf change by color:

Here’s a shot of a 670nm 5mm led from Thorlabs that user RJA built post#46, said it was the one used in the study.

thank you

Do your calculation inform what output level to use on the Sofirn C01s, with diffusion, and at what distance?

fwiw, 2 layers of scotch tape drop output on my meter, by 25%

Finally got the article, here’s a picture of a test torch. Looks identical to the free lights that HF stores (harbor freight or hazard fraught) would give away with any purchase. With a piece of CPVC water pipe over the end as a spacer. The test subjects only used it on one eye. These 9 x 5mm torches don’t usually have any sort of current-limiting device or resistors, so it’s a wonder how the lower Vf of the 5mm 670nm leds would survive with wide open current.

Alkaline AAA are their own resistors, and thin wires.

Fair call. I was on the phone reading it, and do have crap eyesight. I got as far as the mentalist boasting about how many drugs he could take, his numerous ODs, and staring at the sun and decided I wasn’t going to learn anything. His post should be removed in my opinion.

Anyway, good to learn a bit more, I got one of the Sofirn’s through.

i was using a stiff power supply so not current limited, but how much would the alkaleaks limit?

Do you have any data or links that explain the effect?

@ Rich, no worries mate— we just have to laugh to keep from crying, and trying to figure out a home-build or diy solution for testing the red light theory to improve the eyes. It looks like several different approaches, just need to figure out how to limit the radiant power to safe levels.

[quote=kennybobby]

Couldn`t you cut a hole in a ping pong ball?

That’s an interesting idea, will have to give it a try.

Would you be able to put a battery or power supply voltage to your red leds and take a picture? or compare their color to some of the reds shown in this thread?

i’m going to assume that the 40mW/cm2 figure is at the end of the PVC plastic tube shown in the photo above, and that it is a calculated value based upon the vendor’s radiant power specs, but doesn’t take into account the drop of the diffuser. Maybe i’m wrong and it was a measured value, but a 75% drop due to diffusion would obviously be significant.

i’ll sharpen the pencil a bit later and edit this post.

You can always buy the diffuser for $2 extra when buying the C01R or make your own.

Maybe I spoke too loosely, alkalines batteries will quickly drop to 1.3V-1.2V under 0.5 - 1.0A load. Zinc-Carbon ones are much worse and will drop dead under 1.0A load, you can’t just ask more than 0.5A from them, they could limit current by themselves, I guess I was thinking about the Zinc-Carbon ones.

Luminus 660nm LEDs have 2.35V forward voltage at 700mA, the chart you listed says 2.5V at 100mA. To get from 1.2 x 3 = 3.6 to 2.5 you need to drop 1.1V, that’s certainly possible with low spec parts and thin wires, just a bad switch will cause a significant voltage drop, but alkalines batteries would not be enough by themselves.

RE: Sunlight has an intensity of 105 and the Red Light Study used an intensity of 40.
40/105 =38%

Propose:
Find the time of day when sunlight is at 38% of its max intensity

result
8:30am sun measures 20 lumens on my meter
11:30am sun measures 53 lumens

Propose:
Look at the sun through closed eyes when the intensity is at 38%
then use a red light to approach a similar intensity, through closed eyes.

result
my 620nm red light, that reads 20 lumens on my meter, held 10 inches away produces an intensity that does not exceed the intensity of the sun at 8:30am

disclaimers
too many to list

Red Light Therapy Device for Just $99

“Why is the R-670 better? Our device outputs the same wavelength of the light therapy unit NASA studied extensively.

The R-670 unit is the only full spectrum mobile red light therapy (photobiomodulation) device on the market.

The R-670 uses a simple two minute self-timed dose for accurate and consistent treatment.”

What? Looks like some advertising copywriter shook too many words out of the adjective dispenser.
Why isn’t it “tactical”??