$7 Rayovac Roughneck CREE XP-E Flashlight, 2D batteries (incl), Spot-to-Flood, Side Switch, Free ship (US)

Thanks Ben!

Thanks. :) Sounds like I might pick up a few from the feedback here.

Hahaha..I actually saw this post last night and told myself not to forget. But wouldn't u know it, I sliced my way in with my pocket knife. I came here to leave my opinion of the light when I see this part of the thread again.

Doh!

Anyway, nice light for $6 and change. Ordered two yesterday and got them today! That was fast. As mentioned, very ringy when in flood mode but when zoomed, it gives a nice, not too tight beam. This will work nicely in the garage.

I'd like to see some pics of the head/face of this light. If anyone opened one up to reveal the heatsink that was mentioned even better.

About the packaging, I've never tried it myself, but I once heard you can use a can opener (like for a can of tuna) to safely open packages that usually require a knife or scissors.

Same observations. This new one lights up a 2 car garage at 150'. We have an old Rayovac of the same size with a krypton PR2 that can't even put light on it.

I may try some rescue tape to fix the head at the zoom position.

Received mine this morning and for 6.16 its well worth it as a light you don't care about to get oil, mud, paint, scratches on. Also run times should be good with the 2 D cells in them. Beam zoomed in has a couple outer rings but the center hotspot area is more than fine. Flood is not that pretty but I don't see using it for a flood light. Very satisfied with this deal.

Just for curiosities sake my dmm with 12 awg leads measured:

2.05 amps on high

.75 amps on low

Adding to the curiousity . . similar readings with D cells (2.0+ on high and .8+ on low) but very interesting finding with other types.

Single AAA NiMH LSD * 2 (Duracell w/ AA, C & D adapters)

1.85 high, 1.95 low

Single AA LSD NiMH *2 (Duracell w/ C & D adapters)

2.0 High, 2.0 low

Single AA NiMH *2 (Ultralast w/ C & D adapters)

1.76 High, 1.95 low

C Alkaline * 2 (Duracell w/D adapter)

2.0 high, 2.0 low

So now I'm very curious at how the 2 AA adapters will run. Also, reading if anybody has C or D NiMH LSD batteries to try.

Your readings look like they represent my light too as I cant see any difference between high and low!

Ima take some readings...

My dad's got a prime membership, so I've asked him to order one for me from the $6.57 link. Also, I tried the can opener trick on a pair of headphones in clamshell packaging and it worked great.

Anyone know the diameter of the lens? If I don't like the optic, I'll probably try to find a conventional reflector and lens that fit.

Difference was appreciable with the shipped D cells, just not with anything else I tried.

The lens is *roughly* 50 mm by ruler and guess.

Amazon supply still has them for $6 and change, just ordered 2 or em (prime). Should make great garage / spare lights in the car... and/or a great cheap light to tear down and screw around with :)

I received the 2xAA to D shells today. Here are some pictures for those interested. I used 4 eneloops and they were at 1.36V each. The D cells are the ones that came with the light, used a few minutes only.

Anyone knows the operating voltage range of this LED ?

Seems like I've read it can't handle lithium ions, but we really won't know voltage range until somebody who bought a few to tear apart gives it a try. I couldn't find that info on their website. But, you might try calling the 800 number found there.

Are these pics on high or low, or are they same draw with 2*2*AAs in both switch positions?

I forgot to mention. The pictures taken at high (first click) and the second click is only a little bit dimmer (on eneloops or alkalines).

Interesting. Would be helpful to confirm the amp draw for both hi & low if you have someone with access to a meter.

I checked the price a few days ago and it was @ $6.83. I see it's at $7.09 now. I say, it's a really good deal until it hits $8.00. Then it's just a good deal..lol.

I finally got around to taking some readings and I get 1.95A on high and 1.10A on low using the stock rayovacs. So that's why it's a bit difficult to distinguish between levels on my sample. It would be more noticeable if it stepped up between clicks instead of down. I gave my other one to my father already and I'll check his readings next time I go there.

Low is 80 lumens

and runs for 11 hours

High is 180

for 4 hours

The explanation of this is that dang inverse square law that says to perceive a doubling of light ...it takes a quadrupling of power

so an 80 and 180 lumen light look almost identical ...What does that mean ???

it means buying a new light because there is some stupid so called higher lumen light out is just retarded ...

It means that a 400 lumen light and a 700 lumen light aren't that different at all ..and if you sacrifice quality on the driver or the body for a couple hundred lumens you can end up with a much worse light because they know you'll always judge a light by it's numbers .

trick to this light is always run it on low ....??( or fix it ??)

now which one is low ...Hmmm...??

I think this is not really a great deal . the light is pretty average ..maybe a couple clicks below average. It really isn't going to impress anyone apart from tossing out 180 lumens and doing it with D's .

A real good low and some serious runtime would at least make some sense .

bad battery rattle

plastic body and lame threads

screwed up flood to throw that just doesn't work on flood at all

and a low high that makes you say WTH

this massive light is a light I wouldn't want my company name one

it's not a great light ....if you're thinking of buying one ...just make sure you don't buy two

The woot mag clone was 15 times better

benjamin NG's beam shots make the beam look clean and crisp ...it's an illusion the light is horrible ,nasty , disgusting ,foul on flood and just OK on throw ....

** I just shoved a strip of postcard thickness paper along the sides of the battery and knocked down the huge battery rattle to a minimum.I also took a rubber band and wrapped it around a few times under the movable head and on throw(fully extended I jammed the rubber band under the lip of the head so it's no longer exposed and keeps the head from spinning or rattling either ..(better /not great ) Now it doesn't flood to throw .

The 180 lumens and running on D's is awesome for $7.00! But I agree on all other aspects of your review. Haha

Go drink some coffee ya grouch! :)

I just didn't want to give people the idea I liked the light ....:P

Mission accomplished!!

It does a decent job in throw mode outside, just obviously not at XML brightness. It does well enough lighting our large great room when tail-standing that would be fine to run down in a power outage on low @ 0.75A before we move to lesser light for longer time frames.

The primary advantage is this thing could be used as a short club to knock somebody out. Mine would allow stealth, as I didn't know there was a battery rattle until I shook it violently to hear it.

Truth is the $6 shipped price was just about right for those who want to use D cells, where the current draw does drop for the low switch setting.

So far, I haven't found another battery arrangement that maintains the reduced 0.75A current draw of the D alkys. I was hoping I could run a rechargeable AA on low in place of each D since I have a good number available. Instead, they get sucked down at ~2.0A regardless of which setting the flashlight is on.

If I ever get another D cell maglight, I might invest the time to try LSD NiMH D cells or 3 AA NiMH in parallel to see if that works.

Overall, we're in fairly close agreement, I'm OK with 2 . . primarily because 1 is unopened and waiting for a power outage -- or an emergency gifting situation.