90° headlamp with extended runtime of 500+ lumens

Looking for an EDC light than can double as a headlamp. I don’t care about CRI or color temp as much as I care about being able to go for a few hours at 500 lumens or better. Not sure exactly whether I’d need more spot or flood, but I’m assuming flood as it’s going to be used mainly for when using a snowblower on unlit driveways. Shorter length is better than longer length, but I realize I’d probably need something in 18650 or 21700. Really wanted something the size of a Perun 2 Mini, but runtimes and stepdown kill that idea.
I’m trying to stay low budget if possible. I’ve looked at some Wurkkos, Armytek, Sofirn, Olight, and a few others so far. If anyone can suggest something amongst those brands, or any others, I’d be happy to check them out.
Thanks,
Andy

You might want to wait for the upcoming Convoy H4.
It’ll run on a 21700, and one emitter choice will be the XHP70.3 HI.
There aren’t many more details (that I know of at this time), but it should be able to sustain 500 lumens for quite some time.
Oh, it has a TIR lens, and I plan to buy it once it comes out.

Thanks for joining the gang, andygold1!

There’s a discussion about the H4 that starts here, but there are very few details at this point.
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/convoy-s21e-xhp50-3-hi-available-now/54654/10046

Not sure what “low budget” means, but assuming no specific number means reasonable range Skilhunt H300 immediately comes to mind. With one of low CRI emitters it should be able to do what you want. It is also generally great headlamp with great headband and no significant downsides. And “just” 18650. While 21700 would have better runtime assuming similarly efficient driver the weight might be uncomfortable to wear for a few hours…

As for smaller stuff like Perun 2 Mini you’ve mentioned… assume ~100lm/w for a rough estimate of how much energy you need for desired runtime - it will be fairly close to reality with reasonably efficient driver. So 500lm for 2 hours end up being ~10Wh. Which is unrealistic for small cells like 16340/18350/14500 etc. What you minimally need is 18650. Or alternatively you can carry extra cells and swap as needed. It is always an option too, and may be more comfortable one since you do not have to carry all the weight on your head all the time this way…

You WILL care about color temperature. When the snow is falling naturally from the sky or from what you’ve thrown up with the blower in the wind. A cooler temperature or even neutral reflects back off of all that snow in the air and just sparkles, dazzles and blinds you. Go no higher than 4000k. 3000k would be better. I would try to find a way to mount the light at chest height or on the snow blower rather than on your head. I would probably try to do both. Mount one on the blower and one at chest height. The closer the light is to your eyes the worst the reflection is. Plus you’re trying to deal with a hat or hood or visor or other headgear and it doesn’t always work very well with a headlight. You might be able to mount a regular flashlight just as easily as a 90° light on the blower but you want it adjustable and you want it in a position where it’s not just lighting up the majority of the stream of snow in front of you.

Thanks! I’ve actually been a member for a number of years now. I got locked out of my account when my email provider got switched, and I could not reset my password (as that email no longer works). Had to pick a new account name. :disappointed:

I was originally hoping for <$40 US (like a Sofirn HS40) but realize that I’ll probably have to go higher.
Olight has the full size Perun 2 on sale right now for a few days and I may jump on that unless someone on the forum suggests something “better” before then. The Armytek Wizard C2 Max Pro is a bit out of my price range!!!
The Perun 2 seems to give me the runtime @ lumens I’m hoping for. Issues would be K-temp and possibly TIR pattern.

Excellent thoughts!!! All extremely relevant, and obviously things I hadn’t thought about. Would you have a suggestion for something that meets your suggestions?

The machine I have does have a built-in LED light that is mounted at dashboard height. As you mentioned, it’s at the perfect location to reflect light back into the eyes, and it’s at an extremely cold color temperature (it’s also LED which doesn’t generate enough heat to melt the kicked up snow that blows back on it. In a perfect world, I’d mount a low-K light bar at the extreme front of the machine, on the top of the auger housing. But i’d still like a HL that gives me peripheral light for my surroundings and dashboard. I realize (now) that a headlamp is probably not great at all due to it being mounted so close to the eyes (due to reflection), but if it turns out to be no good for this particular task, I could still use it for hiking and working in attics and under and around vehicles.

1 Thank

You can find headlights with a nice smooth wide beam pattern. You can find headlights with 3000k high Cri leds. It is tough to find headlights with both.

1 Thank

I second that.

I’m happy with my H300 and last time I used it when building a fence for my yard. Approximately 4-5 hours on medium mode (I actually forgot what mode that was, not the brightest for sure) for close range ilumination.

500lm for shoveling snow? You’ll need sunglasses.

1 Thank

Are you certain about your lumen requirmeent?

Personally i would look for something like a low k 519, as close to “yellow” as possible.

From there it would be frosted optics for a smooth beam since you dont really need reach.

Emisar dw4 right angle with 2700k 519, dome on, and extra floody optics?

And maybe a spare battery.

Unfortunatly a bit small thermall so 500lm sustained may be out. In the cold however it may do decently well.