A bicycle light by Sofirn

The attention seeking approach leads to unhealthy arms race mentality and bicycles are vehicles like any other, hence they need to conform to lighting policies of other road going vehicles, that’s why legislators and policy makers in Germany and France have created rules to clamp the bicycle lights arms race creating rules that have brought us lights with cut-off beams. Though I generally oppose to the blinking bike lights, using one together with a steady light source in the daytime is acceptable, but should not be encouraged let alone put under an obligation of any kind. The same goes with too bright circular beam lights, sometimes referred to as off-road lights on bikes. Yes, you certainly get plenty of attention with 4000lm headlight, which is about the same as motorist driving high beams on, but is it wise? The next guy thinks, if 4000lm is getting a lot of attention, why not get an 8000lm headlight and blast it in the eyes of others. Insane. With tiny LED and circular, non cut-off beam even 100lm is already pretty dazzling in the dark, if the light hasn’t been directed to point right in front of the bike.

Also bicyclist shouldn’t have a need let alone be obligated to use any special attention drawing signals of existence, like lights different from other vehicles or hi-viz outfits just to be visible, but it’s the responsibility of motorists to be alert and aware and take into account car cabin’s limitations to driver’s field of vision, like A-, B- and C-pillars plus the distractions of the dashboard and whatever control devices. Just because one chooses to drive isn’t an excuse to be carefree and cut in or bump, even crash into other, less bulky and slower road goers, they’re to be taken into account as equal road goers and not to be treated like nuisance.

And it has been studied, that the flashing, non-constant beam on a moving vehicle it used alone doesn’t improve it’s visibility, because of the pauses make it harder the follow the exact location of the light source. Like you said, you’re using the mode with steady light that blinks on top of it, it’s acceptable to a level, but should never be used in the dark. Also you can’t use yourself alone as a reference to whether the flashing bike lights are ok or not, if they’re considered a nuisance or distraction by some other drivers, it is to be taken seriously as a risk in traffic.

All I wish that people using plain flashlights doubling as bike lights, would understand that the dazzling brightness they put out pointed directly forward into the eyes of the oncoming traffic very easily, is not helping them much, just because of the dazzling effect, thus a flashlight should always be pointed right in front of the bike’s front wheel, when among other traffic. In the forests or anywhere out of public roads it’s ok to point a flashlight anyway you wish, it’s not a problem, but when among traffic you have to mind the others too, always. It’s not your visibility alone, but also others the ability to see and for that the bike dedicated, cut-off beam lights are the best solution, they project the light to the ground further away, without dazzling the others.

The attention seeking approach leads to unhealthy arms race mentality and bicycles are vehicles like any other…

LOL, it is not an arms race, it is a life saving necessity. I want a kid who is driving and paying more attention to his phone than a road to see me, even if it annoys him, you do not seem to get this simple concept, I did not even bother reading the rest of the nonsense.

3 Thanks

On the no-no for flashing…nobody can give a general reply there and know that it’s correct. It very much depends on locality (in the US anyway). Look up your state and municipal statutes and you’ll find an answer (and then figure out whether municipal can trump state - or vice versa - if one is more restrictive than the other). Most states separate bicycles from motor vehicles to some degree but you need to take it all as a whole…also other sections of statute that may apply such as blinding/glaring/dazzling which may explicity or by implication include flashing lights toward oncoming traffic.

In my state flashing headlamps are a no-no but that is revealed in different sections of law than the stated bicycles-must-have equipment section. (At some point they also included updates to include the banning of red/blue/amber flashing of any sort other than for emergency vehicles and from any angle or level of visibility, which is supposed to include the fun spoke/valve lights, too. We also still require a red rear reflector even if a red tail light is used, though the same is not true for a front white reflector when you use a headlamp. And then we added a weird exception to all of the rules on bicycle equipment and lighting that says none of it applies at all when riding on streets with posted speed limits of 25mph or less…which seems dumb.)

So look up your laws. Don’t necessarily depend on a law enforcement officer or bike shop/advocacy group to give accurate information, either, although of course the police are the ones to enforce/question if they decide to, so sometimes their opinions matter more than the letter of the law.

1 Thank

My local laws say a bike has to use a white light in the front, and red in the back after dusk ,reflectors are also required, and you must have a bell, and working brakes, no mention of strobes or flashes.

Kinda standard boilerplate that most places have adopted. If it were me and I were curious or concerned, I would look up the rest of the story…that’s just a very precursory summary list. Section 375 (or maybe just 375(24xxx)) might say more, and Section 1231 opens the door to other areas that may apply/confirm/refute…not sure if that would be in the same Title or a different one in your state (talking page 4 of your document here). 1236 may be all that is written or there may be more, but again, it may not be the whole deal based on what may be in motor vehicle statutes that bicycles are not exempt from. Laws are rarely nice and straightforward…sometimes that’s good, usually it’s a pain unless you’re familiar with the system.

Municode.com is a good site, usually keeps up to date with latest revisions. That’s only municipal, though, and again, it pays to look up state as well. Or…do what most people do and just run with it and if you ever get stopped or yelled at, go from there. lol. Here, blinking is not legal, and really there are very good practical safety reasons for that.

I haven’t considered daylight running or low mode while riding , so I will give that a try. My light has pass-through capabilities, it can run with a powerbank for longer runtimes.

Not blinding incoming traffic is the most important feature.

No hotspot, especially not right in front of the bike. The beamshale needs to be tested on a road to give a constant smooth carpet of light up towards a certain distance. Some light should also go towards the sides to make right angle turns possible. Two small auxiliary optics that are angles to the sides at 45° or 60° or whatever turns out best would work on a flat flashlight (like a 2x 18650 side by side body).

Using the most efficient driver technology (switching driver ie boost/buck etc) would be a main differenciator too because bike rides can be long.

A constant output is also important but there needs an automatic stepdown so light doesn’t just suddenly turn off when the battery hits lvp. The first stepdown should give at least a 30 or 60min more road lighting, then another stepdown turns very low for hours, mainly to act as a visibility light so that others see you even if you cant effectively see the road ahead.

1 click (1C) must NOT turn off the light. I have an UI idea but it’s mainly to spark discussion. 1C cycles down through the 3 or 4 levels of brightness. 2C goes to max. 1H puts the flashlight in “visibility mode” that can run for hours and is meant to make the rider be seen, not to illuminate the rode.

Max/turbo should be sustainable, but bright, so maybe something like the max sustained brightness with a 10kph breeze, at 20°C.

Auto turn off is very neat to have on a bike light. I use that feature on my rear light. It also auto-turns on (and goes to a higher brightness when it detects braking, which is awesome, but I’m not sold on auto brightness for a front light… I could be convinced though but it would need to be good).