A challenge to Wurkkos - TS10 headlamp

One of the biggest reasons it was popular was because of the UI and that’s the thing you want to change. The biggest reason it was/is popular is because a whole lot of people have not come up with a convenient and comfortable way to carry an 18650 light. Or they have determined that they don’t need one. They need a light one to five times per day for a few seconds to less than a minute at a time. Yeah, yeah sure there’s going to be some exceptions. A handheld light is going to benefit from some degree of a hotspot in the beam. A headlight as far as I’m concerned should not have a hotspot. You can move the handheld hot spot light around very quickly and easy. It’s a pain in the neck to constantly have to move the hot spot around when it’s on your head to take in the whole field of view. You can’t take that basic design of the ts10 and turn it into a headlight without making it somewhat larger. But most people are not going to carry a headlight on their person every day anyway. So what really made the ts10 popular is not relevant to a headlight. It’s not really the size and weight of an 18650 headlight that makes them uncomfortable. It’s the mount sitting on your forehead that in most cases doesn’t have any sort of cushioning. A few months back I added a cushion/pad to every headlight that I have and they are all very comfortable to wear for hours at a time. My running days are long behind me, so I can sympathize with those people a little bit. But with the pads I’ve come up with I don’t think even running should be a problem. I use some of that orange ShamWow shammy material attached in different ways depending on whether or not the top strap comes off. Feel free to experiment with other soft absorbent material of your choosing. Once the argument of comfort is taken out of the equation I see no good reason to go with less than an 18650.

No. I’m confused by the fact that many people want to change almost everything that makes a TS10 what it is when the original poster asked for a TS10 equivalent headlamp.
I can easily carry an 18650 EDC or headlamp, but that is not what I prefer. I prefer smaller and lighter for my pocket and on my head.
For taking the dog out, or walking to the mailbox, I prefer a larger flashlight.

I do want light weight in a headlamp. I do not need high lumens so therefore run time of 14500 (or eneloop) is just fine. I do want the beam of the TS10. I do want Anduril UI.
Adding AA and buck/boost does not take this away. See Sofirn SP10 Pro. Basically change the shape and use the Sofirn driver.

Think Acebeam H40 with a better clicky, SP10 Pro driver, and TS10 optics. That would be about perfect to me.

There are plenty of 18650 headlamps on the market. There are a few 14500/AA headlamps. Duplicating any of them will not get lots of sales for Wurkkos.
Was the Lumintop HL3A a big hit? There is your 18650 version.

This is my opinion only. I acknowledge that others want and need different solutions. I think most of those solutions are already covered in the market.

FB

That is where the problem is, they duplicate/copy someone's design, not making their own, ZL has no problem selling their AA headlamps. But you can not copy their design, i mean you can, but it will either cost as much, so no one will buy a copy for the same price over buying trusted brand, or wont be as good.

What so good about TS10 run graph anyway? Headlamp with 200lumen for 1h20min?

Interesting design. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. if you add a bunch of flashing modes, then it is perfect for a bicycle, electric scooter and so on. as a front and rear flashing marker light. or you can make a special bike version. Oh yeah !! give me two!!

Nothing.
That is definitely the biggest negative with going smaller.

The SP10 Pro driver would help some and make it easier to carry a spare eneloop (or L91 when I really care about weight - backpacking).

FB

I have a Zebra light AA. It’s great for reading and getting around the house at night. I would buy a Wurkkos warm AA/14500 L shape, at least 2. I’m sure Wurkkos would make a great one. I have 9 Wurkkos lights already and recommend them all the time - please do it!

This is a good starting point. I like the triple optic+auxiliary LEDs idea. Maybe do a triple optic for flood, and the TIR single LED for a spot/throw? Those are the most versatile headlamps I own. You could do the high cri neutral white for the triple optic and a cooler tint for the single LED. Please give it a fully regulated driver. At least 1500 Lumen for the optic and 1000 lumen for the single LED.

If you did the inline LED design, that limits beam distance and usefulness somewhat, but would still be a good concept.

I’m always interested in AA headlamps. maybe a mid-LED instead of the 90 degree style that are so popular? Something to compete with the TH20?

I think i would prefer a front design instead of a angle 90 degree

My dream is for a AA sized headlamp with regular tailcap, then, for longer runtime, a remote waterproof 2 or 3x18650 box, cable and AA sized adapter to thread into the headlamp.

Unfortunately nobody makes suitable battery carrier, else I would have done this already myself.

Edit to add: I was inspired by a post I saw on CPF then lost the link, just spent an hour googling and FOUND IT! Zebra light remote battery mod

Yes it’s from 2015, I still want to do this myself, 7 years later :stuck_out_tongue:

Headlamp with remote batt. pack is necessary only at freezing temperatures and in extreme sports. Otherwise pure nonsense.

If it could maintain the same beam characteristics/profile of the TS10, I think that would be fine.

Above is your opinion, which you’re entitled to, but it’s not a fact. I’m aware the product isn’t “mainstream” but there are legitimate users who would want this, there are plenty of expensive caving lights that use remote battery packs, why not have something a bit more BLF?

I’m curious what other solutions are to achieve long runtimes at moderate output without having 2 cells strapped tyour head…?

I’ve worked underground where having 400 lumens for 8+ hours would have been brilliant. Or nights where 800 for 4-6hours would have been useful. I want a solution that doesn’t involve swapping cells.

Do you think anyone that works underground, or night shift, should stop halfway through a shift have to change batteries?

800 lumens for 4-6 hour on head??? :smiley: If you need extreme power for long time why not just use handheld or portable light system! And yea, fact is that you can wear on your head whatever heck you want .Who cares. BTW i want headlamp made from cookie and powered by pixie dust :smiley:

Wurkkos already has HD20 which runs on 21700 battery and HD15 which runs on 18650 battery. Both are using dual-lights and high cri. Why don’t Wurkkos add another right-angle lights to complete the line-up. I agree that Lattice Power CSP and Anduril 2 is a great combination, so hopefully to see another great lights from Wurkkos next year.

I’d buy one or two of these in a heartbeat, provided:
The UI was good and gave you an option to start in minimum red from any previous on state.
The moonlight was good- no worse than the HD15R.
I really want any 14500 light to also take AAs. This is the type of light I’d recommend a lot to normies, and those are the people who simply won’t deal with 14500 only lights without onboard charging. (Actually, I have enough AA lights that don’t use 14500s that I don’t really have a desire for any 14500-only lights either.)

The TS10 is spectacular because of the LED choice and optics with the Andruil UI and compact size weight. Nothing else comes close at the price point.

It is an excellent EDC light because it does so much so easily in such a compact package. Making a headlamp version would just make it a more useful and spectacular EDC light.

Front vs angle would be a matter of how it goes in a pocket. I don’t think one should think of this as primarily a headlamp. It would be an EDC light that can be used as a headlamp.

It really gets down to the clip. That is the one shortcoming to the TS10 and could be easily fixed. With a really good clip and a right angle light, the functionality of it as an EDC goes up dramatically. When you can easily clip to anything from a shirt to a hat brim you really have a useful light! With a good clip, like the one on the EO2 II, you could have a headband that just has a little slot to clip to like the top closure on a pair of dress slacks. Simple light and a perfect headlamp mount for a headband. 18650 or 21700 lights are just too heavy to have this kind of flexibility. However, simply improving the clip and the direction the light comes out would make an already spectacular light just that much more spectacular.

1 Thank

I don’t get that, what would make it different than the TS10?

To me if it’s not 90 degree it’s not a head light.

A 90 degree TS10 would be ideal

The baton 3 maintains stable 300 lm for 1h30 from a 16340 with 550 mAh.

If I had one free wish from Wurkkos, it would be a good driver. Then talking about shapes.