A good light for electrician, recommendations needed!

Got still one but XM-L is more expensive than the whole headlamp, drive current is at 0,7-0,8 AND it has aspherics so I think XM-L is not the best for it.

I´m thinking it will lose quite much of its 0,8A driven light inside the pill itself...

Could of course mod the driver but the heatsink is just a "pipe" made of aluminum with not that much mass...

For modders though: a P60 dropin was able to "pass through" from there ;)

You are probably right... which diameter would be needed to fill the whole in the pill? I still have Ø 14mm aluminum bar laying around here somewhere.

Well, the 16mm original part was a bit loosely there so I think it has to be 16mm base.

14mm XM-L also went through the pill...

Ordered now 2 pieces of R5 neutral 4C from Shiningbeam. I know it´s not the most budget but at least they´re quite fast...

Yeah, stuff from Bryan usually arrives in Ger in 5-10 days.

Very warm XM-L. Just like an incan...very warm/yellow beam on this one. I used one in a mod and sometimes I love it but other times I look at it and hate it. Heh.

My mate is the electrician, and I got him this bike light after her saw mine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280756819983&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123  

He uses it as a head torch, plus he hangs it to light up an area. He likes it! :)

I use it for a helmet light for off road cycling.

Wow, are those metric or SAE lumens? Average, peak, peak-to-peak or RMS lumens?

I have sold three XM-L P60s to electrical engineers, locally (strictly non-profit! ... selling hte torches, I mean).

They have yet to admit it is not what they really need. Any LD20 would have suited them far better. Even my terralux'd mini-m@glite would have, for that matter - and both run on the cheap AA alkalines, or AA eneloops even.

On a side note: Is it just me or are XP-G R2 and R5 the new replacement for the XR-E R2? I find them more versatile than the XM-L, actually.

I really like my Spark SD6-500CW. Not cheap but works really well.

I was concerned that deterioration of the head band from sweating would render the light useless, but now replacement head bands are available for $13 (bought two) I am comfortable with my $100 investment.

I use this light way more than I expected; from wiring an electrical panel to painting a closet this light is excellent.

Dave

Nope...XP-Gs are still the way to go when driven between 0-1.5 amps... only high power purposes or when you want a light to be especially floody would justify XM-Ls.

I must say those 12$ headlamps are easy to mod but mostly crap. Bad threads, quality and beam varies… LED’s not arrived yet…
Never mind the quality of headlights, this is more a test for suitable tint. If tint is approved I will seek for a better quality light with warm tint.

I got my Terralux LightStar80 just today. It really looks like a well made light, threads engage so easily, the size feels just right, the rubber bite band has a very nice grip and the beam isn’t too warm but more like neutral. This is a single mode, forward clicky, slightly throwy light that fit into my hand bag like no other light has ever did. I loved this light at the first sight and made my Preon II look too flimsy. Ok it isn’t the tiniest pen light but it really is a well thought one, and has better ergonomics.

How is the color rendering compared to other non-high-CRI neutral emitters? Is it a substantial step up? Are the edges really too sharp in your opinion? My Bronte 2xAAA penlight RA03 is still not shipped (order 2/9)...

I didn't know hand bags for men were fashionable in türkiye. ;-)

Might be OT, but I do know they still are in Germany - for elderly gentlemen, that is. Boringly traditional, if not even plain terribly smug. (and that statement from someone who wears woollen berets, gatsby caps and horn-rimmed specs!)

Heck, I wear a Deerstalker and smoke a pipe....

Well, ok, I can add a shoulder strap to it, so no worries :) my father, OTOH have always carried a small leather bag with him. I'm an electronics researcher so any geek stuff complies. :)

The edges of the Terralux is sharp. Not like a sharpened bezel but I can say it has grippy edges all around it. Nice to hold in hand, nothing unpleasant. For the tint, it is more yellow than some of my neutrals, and cooler than my HCri Preon. High CRI was never really definitive for my eyes, and my perception still can't distinguish a regular neutral and this high CRI neutral. I can say Terralux definitely makes the colors more appearant to the eye compared to a cool light, but so does my Rebel Fenix E10 although it isn't specified as high CRI.

If you'd ask the lumens, I think it is more like 50 lm or so, and it is enough for almost all indoor tasks and close outdoors.

Checked again with my selfbuilt Neutral XPG R4 (from KD), C8 body plus an OP reflector and Light Star 80 in the same pitch black room. Terralux LightStar80 definitely gives better colors. Ok, reflector quality and exact tint may change the results but I approve Ls80 is a High CRI light.

Thanks for those suggestion and recommendations in obtaining the best lights for electricians. I've been into some research about this topic because I am enrolling in an electrician classes at a certain electrician school in Texas. This would gradually help me in my training sessions.

lumonite compass r is a head light/magnetic light torch thing

they are expensive but ive a friend whos been testing one out at work, they are good

maybe check them out and find some banggood type version that does the same job, i think its a xhp50.2 led in there running at 3v

if you find a good host like this then find some 3v xhp or sst type led with the colour you need

best regards chris
ps im in finland also

(it’s a very old topic from 2013 with probably outdated info)