A love for traditional and moditional knives!

Thanks for the testimonial! Maybe there’ll be a Bugout in my future after all.

I also disapprove of the baton method on folding knives—as you said, that’s just abuse.

Guys I can see some pro fans of knives here. Though I’m not one. But it doesn’t mean I don’t need a pocket knife. Oh no :shushing_face:

I want to buy myself a simple but reliable knife which I could EDC on my biking and walking trips. Nothing fancy, just pure pragmatism.

Features I want it to have:

• moderate size, max 10cm when folded
  • as lightweight as possible
  • any lockout - not a must

Typical applications I can forsee :

• mushroom picking (don’t laugh :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)
  • wood planing
  • fabric cutting

And definitely I want to buy it at Ali
Price : $40-50

I had to look up wtf moditional meant, and while i was there they threw another new word at me - tradodern

Love a classic slip joint. Been out of the knife game for something like a decade, with the last major release being the Case Swayback Jack, but can’t beat a sodbuster when heavy work is needed. While I’d rather reach for an old Case CV peanut these days, I’ve been tempted to try out a GEC Barlow. Maybe once some of these other hobbies cool down eventually.

Lots of knives for that. I recommend a Brother knife. Chinese, but great build quality. Can get them on AliExpress and Amazon. Most are less than $30 and most are smaller size. These 2 would fit your criteria easily…

@BeyondTheBox

I forgot last night, but here is an album. The maker is WesWer Blades.

I don’t consider myself an expert, but I can tell you that Civivi knives are reasonably priced and have really nice detents, smooth actions, and great fit and finish. If you take the time to pick one that fits your needs and preferences I highly doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Some models are on sale right now for the holidays. I loved my Baklash so much I bought a second. My brother has the full-sized Praxis and like that one too. Their sales are generally available both on their own site and on Amazon. (Amazon sale may be disguised by clip-able coupon in some cases)

Mini

Full Size

Baklash
https://www.amazon.com/CIVIVI-Folding-Reversible-Activities-C801K/dp/B07T236T7Q?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Petrified Fish knives are another good budget brand. They are deceptively beefy so watch those weights and dimensions if you buy one. They do have smaller models. Their inventory seems sparse right now. Available on amazon for faster shipping, and right now probably more stock. I think the main site got cleared out on a BF sale.

I have the Beluga, Warrior, and Victor.

Ihttps://petrifiedfish.aliexpress.com/store/1101400026

Two handed knives tend to get less glares than flippers depending on the situation. I like modern traditional mostly because I haven’t chased down a GEC yet :slight_smile:

Whats a good blade steel? I have just had 2 (one was stolen in 2013) buck knife bantam cheapos that were like $18 from sporting goods store. Its fine, but I feel like it needs sharpening more than it should. Always wondered if you buy a pricier knife if you get a better steel that holds edge better (Like with ice skates.).

I think maybe design and size matters more than the opening method. Tacticool knives might give people the idea you fantasize about ventilating your fellow pedestrians.

VS

I’m personally not willing to give up the flipper knife, but I’ll carry different sizes and designs where I think it’s appropriate. No reason to be pulling out massive knives in most public settings.

That depends. There are three main attributes that you want. Rust resistance, toughness, and edge retention. Usually by gaining more of one, you lose some of another. Here is a great article where many different types are tested.

@paskapotkuri
Yeah, I just posted that in a different thread where they are having a similar discussion, Might be worth a read.

. If you can get through it (it is quite long) you will have the info you need to make a good decision. Unfortunately there is no simple answer. It is all about tradeoffs.
Buck used to use something called 440HC and they had the heat treatment down to s science. Maybe not the best for anything, but very good for most things. If they still use it, it is still a good choice. 154CM is an oldy, but still good. Sandvik 12c27 is another good mid range steel. Stepping up you might try something in S30V. A good steel, but a bit harder to sharpen.
So read the article, do some research, and you will come up with something that fits your needs.

1 Thank

This is a really interesting read. He seems extremely well informed. Makes sense that my little pocket buck knife needs to be sharpened all the time. Buck’s website says 440 stainless. 440 stainless is all in its own corner for having no hardness in buddy’s plots.

1 Thank

It is indeed a helpful article! Can’t recall if I found it or was shown, but I keep it bookmarked now.

Ultimately it comes down to preferences and price. Magnacut seems like a fantastic steel but you won’t find any budget folders with that. Personally I don’t use my knives as crowbars or leave them wet and dirty, so I’m ok with sacrificing some durability and stainlessness for more edge retention. At the end of the day, good steel won’t make you love a bad knife design so I say find knives you know you’ll reach for and then check the steel to see if you want to deal with it. BladeHQ sometimes does limited runs of popular knives with higher-end steels btw (just in case you find your dream knife in terms of features but you really want a different steel)

As Mandrake said, Buck has a reputation for doing a particularly good heat treat on 440HC which has better-than-standard edge retention for the steel type. Could be that your knives were a budget line with plain 440 instead of their well-regarded 440HC idk.

Kyle, i recommend a mid range steel. Still easy to sharpen but holds a great edge. Something along the lines of VG10 or 154CM are great steels. D2 is my personal favorite for bang for buck. It’s a little harder to sharpen than the other two though.

2 Thanks

@paskapotkuri Just be aware that some of the really budget brands sometimes lie about using D2 and use a softer stainless instead. I recommend a few google searches to see if there is any scuttlebutt about a particular brand before buying.

1 Thank

My Leatherman Surge, while being large, is my go to tool

Agree, no 1 multi tool ever made.

I have a Leatherman Wave.
It’s not as good as the Surge, but it’s good enough for me. :grin: