A love for traditional and moditional knives!

Up until very recent I’ve never had much of a love for traditional knives. Mostly that drives from a pragmatists approach to collecting, as I previously would only buy knives that could be fully operated singlehandedly. Also it came from a general preference for more modern designs. Then, about a year ago, I discovered the wonderful world of “Moditional”. I’m sure you could easily gather that this is a blending between modern and traditional.

From there is been a rabbit hole leading me to a love for even traditional knives, including the ever despised slipjoints. Knives that don’t lock and require 2 hands to function? Blaspheme!

Here’s my Moditional knives…

A few more…

Last bit…

And the rabbit hole brought about my love for traditional…

Not done yet…

Last few…

This thread is risking me gaining another expensive hobby :joy:

1 Thank

It’s truly a deep dark hole. Never ending, but full of wonder and amazement! I love knife more than i ever did anything else I’ve collected! There’s even fun in the cheap seats with traditional knives. Some of these were no more than $20! Others were just under $300. So caution is the word to the wise here. Lol

Yeah, I have a couple of $20-50 range and one that’s something like $120, but it doesn’t have really interesting handles like these. Maybe when reviewing can support my light habit :rofl:

1 Thank

That’s the positive spirit!!! Fingers crossed that happens soon for you. If you’re reviews are on YouTube I’d love to check them out and show some support. You got a link or name i can search?

Nice collection! I grew up with slip-joint folders and still have some I won’t part with. For the most part I buy flippers nowadays. I love being able to easily open and close the knife with one hand. Useful if you are holding the thing you mean to cut in your non-dominant hand.

1 Thank

Oh completely agreed. I have about 60 or so various flippers. The slipjoint and traditional style is just something I’ve recently found a love for. I still prefer a singlehanded functioning knife. I simply have enough of those. :laughing:

A couple of my favorites…

1 Thank

I have seen that Benchmade in person before (sans the speckle blade). I’m worried that the axis lock will loosen up over time and drive me crazy though.

Love the blade on the Ultramar, and the simplicity of the Koraki II.

I have to confess, I’ve never paid more than $100 for a folding knife. I lost a few pocket knives growing up and the idea of carrying around a $200 item in my pocket make me nervous. Never say never though. My most expensive knife is a fixed blade which was handmade locally ($650). Has a beautiful Damascus blade and one of the most ergonmic handles I’ve ever felt. I’ll try to remember to post a pic of it when I get home.

At work (deskjob currently) I EDC a Civivi Elementum (black blade, burgundy scales). With the pocket clip removed, it disappears into my pocket.

When not at work I carry one of my larger flippers. Lately I’ve been reaching for a particular budget blade a lot–the Eafengrow EF934. For $27 I don’t really worry about it and it’s a handy size and has a good action. Most recent use was to carve the tops off of some pumpkins so I would place some reactive explosive targets inside for some range-shooting fun.

1 Thank

I have several of their axis lock knives. Some over 10 years old and well used. I have never had a problem with any of them. Likely you do not need to be concerned.

1 Thank

Nice! Love to see that $650 fixed blade! Mine is my Medford Praetorian T… $1000

Way overpriced, overbuilt and I’ll never carry it because i hate big knives! Simply wanted the best just to have it.

1 Thank

@Mandrake50 Do you use your knives very hard? I don’t right now but I always like to plan as if I will :slight_smile: (I assume functionality would always be fine, I’m worried about a tiny bit of slop that would just bother me on a conceptual level)

@BeyondTheBox Man that thing is a TANK. I don’t like overly heavy stuff in my pockets either. But I’ve been tempted to buy the ARTISANCUTLERY Proponent for similar reasons. There is just something satisfying about something that overbuilt.

https://www.amazon.com/ARTISANCUTLERY-Tactical-Proponent-Folding-Hunting/dp/B09Y1WCP2Q/

https://wolfgirlreviews.com

Was hoping to have another posted yesterday, but family emergency. Possibly later today.

Apparently I’ve been out of it. How did I miss that Hank released a keychain light??? :open_mouth:

That’s awesome, thank you!

Not really. I mean I do the sort of things a pocket knife is typically used for. Opening and breaking down cardboard boxes, cutting twine and rope. Occasional scraping. I used to do some whittling in softer woods. I don’t baton with my knives or do any prying. IOW, I don’t torture test them. If I need to do anything like that, I use a fixed blade… or get a better tool for the job… Like an AXE :smiling_imp:

I reserve folders for straight cutting tasks.

I have an original 551 Griptillian in CM154 that I used as my EDC for a lot of years. I just checked and there was a tiny bit of play in the blade (side to side) I tightened the pivot screw just a tad. Now there is no play in the blade or lockup. It is a great lock if you don’t go out of your way to break it.

BTW, I checked, I got this one in 2004… a pretty good run, Yes? I later got one in M390 and G10. A nice knife as well.

2 Thanks