A60

Geez man! How many of the 4xAAA XM-L's have you ordered?

-Garry

Is this one of those lights that after a capacitor discharges it loses the "memory" and reverts back to the start of the sequence? I've seen postings on a mod to drain the capacitor quicker (I'm sure it was a different model light, but I don't remember which it was.)

-Garry

all of these kind of driver’s behavior can be solved with a resistor parallel with the “memory” capacitor,
after that, the light will always start in high mode

Can you provide a photo with details, or link to a thread with details on doing this?

Thanks,
Garry

for example:

ultrafire D1 : https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5340?page=2#comment-111287

or small sun zy-c10: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5182#comment-131677

but when I will get my A60 (within a few days), I will do the modification, and I will put some pics here from the driver

Ah! I see details now in post 70 for the D1. Thanks!

-Garry

Can anyone tell me what a good driver upgrade would be for the A60? Anyone experimented for more Lux? I’ve got one enroute from DX hoping it will be here soon!! Also got a small sun C10 coming too with a 105c driver from intl outdoor (which could take an age to get here) for my first mod tryout.

I guess I should say what I said differently…. lol

Today I ordered my 3rd Jacob A60 just received two of them yesterday. You can never have to many lights Garry you know that!

:bigsmile:

Well I don't own any multiples of the same lights (ahem . . . yet). Well, unless you count Maglites, but those were bought for modding purposes when found at good prices (and before Old Lumens buys them all up!).

-Garry

I have aleady swapped the emitter to a green one in one of them. Maybe this is my maglite. Lol :bigsmile: plus im giving one green modded one to my buddy to mount to his AR15

I suggest a 2,4-2,8 A drive current for max effect. You should be able to rech something around 65 kCd with that. But bear in mind it is a 20 mm driver inside so the 17mm drivers wont work directly.

But the easiest upgrade is to tighten everything up and feed it unprotected batteries. Maybe do a spring resistance mod (small wire soldered from +batt spring end to driver +batt and from -batt spring end to -batt tailswitch connection.

Also screw the head off and press hard on the led retainer disk (made of press fitted plastic, just make sure it is pressing hard down on that led star)

If you are lucky then you will then see tailcap draw of about 2,2-2,5 A.

Good luck.

Just received mine, it throws like crazy, has a minuscule hotspot, but a con is that it heats up like crazy. It has barely any heatsinking fans and it’s so small it burns your hand it it’s turned on for more than 5 minutes indoors. It’s just like a skyray king on high.

EDIT: I don’t really have a use for it, even though it’s small. My crelant 7g5v2 w/ collimator head has more than double the lux AND has about a third bigger hotspot. Oh well it’s only $15… maybe I’ll try to dedome this sucker

so you’re disappointed it doesn’t perform equally? Maybe I’m missing something here.

Aside from apt323’s green emitters, who else has successfully modded their A60??

What do you guys think about going XML? Would the XML throw well with this reflector? Or is that a mis-matched setup and better to stay XRE?

Really would LOVE to delete the strobe and add low as well. If anyone has any ideas on this please share.

thanks in advance

Not that easy to mod, infact not that easy to tighten up or dismantle, gonna have to find a tool that fits nice. It would make a decent template for other manufacturers to make a decent light from, single cell, massive head lights are cool :slight_smile: just make it XML with 60k+, NW ,no PWM and hi-med-lo only. I don’t want much…. Oh and keep it at around $15 :wink:

Thanks for the input.

The light you describe sounds perfect! I would pay $25 for such a light.

Wouldn't it be very similar to the Uniquefire V3? At T-mart for $17.87. I think the A60 head is just slightly bigger. Ah, I see you also posted over at the "Held the Jacob A60 reflector over a xml tonight" thread too.

-Garry

Oh hey, that does look nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Crap… I see now the UF V3 is an XML U2 and 5 mode. Dang. If it was T6 and h/m/l I’d buy several.

I understand the preference for 3-mode of course, but why would you choose a T6 over a U2 (unless it was a T6 3C and you prefer NW tints)?

I dedomed mine. Its very easy because of the metal ring. Keep thr star down, use pliers and just pluck it off, 90% of the gel comes off too. I got 86k lux then tried to clean up the led. I broke a bond wire.

Btw the beam after dedoming is minuscule and is very ringy. Not useful at all.

Ans to lumatic, i dont need it because i have something better in brightness, hotspot size and throw. I just think compared to all my xml throwers the A60 has too thin a beam. But its fun to play around with if you dont have a better thrower.