A60

That’s 60yds.

The Jacob A60 will easily out throw the Small Sun C10.

But it won’t out throw your better XM-L throwers regardless if others try and tell you differently.

Nonetheless, a pretty impressive light for the price. I’ll certainly put it up against the X8 just for fun or even the 7G9 :bigsmile:

No doubt for the money it’s one of the better throwers period. but it still needs to be put in perspective. I know up close it’s a real bad light. But at 350yds where I live, it won’t come close to lighting up objects as good as lights like my M3X, 7G5, or M3C4. Even my Fandy Fire STL-V6 will out throw it.

I just received a Small sun C10 & tbh prefer it!! It throws just far to my eye & is waaaay better built. It’s more pocketable & has better heat sinking. The A60 iv got the star is only held down by an extremly flimsy piece of white plastic which has already partly melted. The reflector feels very very cheap & plastic like too.

Also it’s not particularly bright, I think it’s worth spending extra money to get a HD2010, reason is that the light from A60 does throw well but it’s quite faint & un-useable.

Haha this thread seems to be going in circles… :slight_smile:

It is a big compliment to the A60 to keep comparing it to lights that cost 2 to 9 times as much. Still, no one seems to know of a similarly priced, similar performing light. That says something.

Think of it like this… if you happen to be into cars…. The jacob a60 is sorta like the Mitsubishi Evo in that they both perform comparable to competitors costing much more. They both do so in a rough and somewhat unrefined manner, but they get it done (when others in the price range cannot).

@ Haterade : Nice comparison. I think you are absolutely right. That I like the A60 may be because it fits MY definition of

A) Lovely beam.

B) Lovely price.

C) Lovely machining (considering B of course - E.G. not in direct comparison with a Fenix)

D) Single battery 1 hr + runtime on high, 8 hr + runtime in low.

E) Good memory function of the driver. I never see the strobe because I use it mainly in high.

F) Small size and light weight makes it easy pocketable which means I have it with me when I need it.

Those are good observations. It is by no means the end all be all. But a neat little light. Good fun for the money.

(Full disclosure: I am more into subarus and VWs than mitsus.)

My fingers are getting a bit itchy...

My current pocket thrower is an XR-E Q5 powered C8 modded with a 1.5 amp driver. Do you think that the A60 would offer better throw?

Small Sun ZY-C10-S for $14.33 should be quite close. I haven’t received my A60 yet so at the moment I can’t compare them.

The main differnce in my eyes is the a60 has spill so at distence it lights up more area to see. The C10 only lights up the area in the shape of the die of the emitter with no spill.

I prefer the C10 myself. Both are nice for the price though.

so, here is the solution to the "next mode switch" problem:

There are 2 empty solder points beside the negative wire, the resistor is a 1Mohm.

Only 3sec off state and the light will turn on in high mode.

Thanks viffer750! Looks like I need to order a couple resistors soon (one for this, one to increase drive current on the ZY-T08).

-Garry

OK I might give that Small Sun a try. As has been said by others, flood-to-throwers are kind of different… No spill at all. This can be good or bad depending on the situation.

Thanks for the tip viffer750!

Anyone measured lux without the lens in place?

I almost broke the tailcap thread, it’s a left hand thread. :open_mouth:

ya…. lol almost did the same thing

58-59k at 2A

A60 owners should check for this: some of them come with neglible contact for led.

DD @ 2A will kill an led with almost no heatsinking.

Agenthex, while it isn't optimal they do still function with it there.