AA 1.5V lithium battery

Any one tried these?

They say they keep to 1.5V but may suffer from all the other issues raised here recently in other threads - but at least they won’t need a proprietary charger.

Maybe I’ve missed something, but the fact that a proprietary charger isn’t mentioned anywhere does not mean you don’t need a proprietary charger. Unless this battery can be charged form a regular USB socket. What would mean there is a (complex) charging circuit IN the battery.

Yeah - it shows a USB-A connector under the cap so I was assuming these batteries are to be charged via standard USB.

First, and most important, do you NEED 1.5v, or are you just checking out this particular option? Good NiMh is superior if you don’t.
If an experiment, give it a go and report back.

I have a number of 1.5v batteries. “In general” the ones with proprietary chargers are superior to the USB charged ones. At least all the ones I’ve tried.
I think it may be that there is more room in the case since there is less electronics in there for the USB.
OTOH, they may just be better batteries. :roll_eyes:

The one time I got cells that charged like the ones linked I sent them back, which is rare. I consider this kind of cell ‘an experiment’ so am willing to put up with some disappointment. It’s also generally not worth the bother to return.
In this particular case the cells were seriously below claimed capacity. I think, but don’t know, this style of cell compromises cell volume more than the ones with the USB plug-in port. Yes, you pull the ‘cap’ and plug them into USB.
Only one way to find out how good they are, assuming you have tools to test them… :grin:

I can guarantee you that these are complete crap just by looking at the posting.

3 Thanks

Agree with above. I don’t like cell with integrated voltage converter. Ni-MH is very good now and they last a long, long time in standby.

Yep, the 5900mAh is a dead giveaway. There are others of the same 1.5V on AE with more reasonable mAh ratings with in-built USB chargers and we have a recent thread here on BLF about 1.5V continuous but which need a proprietary charger.

I do have a couple of devices which don’t like 1.2V so I would be interested in some 1.5V cells. But I am not getting in to proprietary chargers which is just more clutter - I am happy with my MC3000 and from early reports it does not look like the Gyrfalcon will be as good let alone better.

Are you familiar with Project Farm?
He does a fair job with a bunch of these.
The best I’ve personally found are the Tenavolt. But…when they first came out there were numerous ‘deals’. No more. Expensive now.
Xtar looks good, but also expensive. No personal experience. There is a review on BLF, also for Tenavolt.

Best cheap ones I’ve personally found are 4Pack AA Batteries by JWWYJ,Lithium Ion 1.5v 2550 mWh for $21.
They almost are equal to the Tenavolt, but won’t hold current quite as well. Had them for 2 years and so far holding up. Charging is easy.
A couple others I’ve tried were more disappointing, but not complete duds, as long as your expectations are realistic, meaning you have to mostly ignore the marketing.
ALL the AAA so far are pathetic in my experience. Just no room in the can for the chemistry.

1 Thank

I am now - thanks, most informative. He does not differentiate between those that need a proprietary charger and those that don’t - and I am determined not to have a proprietary charger but am ‘happy’ with in-battery USB-C charging. Too bad about the AAA - I could use a couple of them if they worked.

They work, just the capacity is 300-400mAh max for the ones I’ve gotten. One set was more like 200-250.
I mostly use them in remotes that seem to function better with full voltage. They work fine until they…suddenly don’t. Then get charged again. At least they don’t leak, or so far that’s not been a problem.

For low power device like remote controls, just get some good Ni-MH and save a lot of headache.

Gotcha, and mostly I do, but I’ve found a couple that actually work better with the 1.5v, usually range, or info LCD screen.
The draw is so low that even the low capacity, self discharging 1.5 Li are not much of a nuisance.