AA Fans: New C88 XML @ Intl O

I Would agree that the price is Just right. Hank's been doing a lot of us a favor selling a light most of us have been trying to acquire on stock to Mod.

Kudos to Hank for providing custom lights with budget price. Would have gotten one if I only have spare funds.

Anybody bought one yet? would love to see a review.

I can't tell you how tempting this is to me. I haven't even converted mine yet but I want one of these as well.

Yeah, that's pretty much the response you'll get with any inquiry relating to price. I've tried a few times already. I'm not knocking him for it though. He's just firm on his pricing. I've learned not to consider his business for our group pricing but that's okay. I'm content with his unique offerings.

What would be the real lumen output?

Is there any quality battery carrier replacement that fits (in the same league as Sunwayman carrier)?

No way I'd buy a light with a carrier like this

If it’s really driven at 2.8A - then 800-850lm OTF (and 900lm on LED) is quite possible.

That carrier looks more well-made than the original MCU-C88 one.

Ordered.

Let me guess: NW?

Ps. Me too. Will review.

Am I really that predictable?

Well.. Yes you are.

Or then I just know that you like same kind of light than I do..

anybody else wish it didn't say cyclone?

could be worse.

that was my high school's mascot

Erik, this has to make you laugh, right?

Like E said, there is no way you can build an XM-L/C88 for this price so, smoking hot deal. Interesting that it is marketed for use with 3 x AA. With a working high voltage of 4.5 volts, who's going to use NiMH? I keep a King Kong in mine with a couple of large/thick rubber o-rings.

Also, I'm not bragging or anything . . . . okay, I will. If it's like the other lights I got from Hank (love them all, by the way) it won't pull much more than 2.5 amps at the tail. Probably less considering the 3 x AA recommendation, otherwise it would hit those three teensy batteries pretty dang hard.

Mine pulls a dead steady 3.5 amps from a King Kong and let me tell you brother, it be bright. As in, lays waste to my oddly deteriorating 980L and scary close to matching the output of my anemic Sky Ray triple.

imjussayinFoy

Foy,

Are you saying yours pulls 3.5A from the stock driver and a King Kong? In contrast, Hank seems to order lights that aren't driven as hard? I'd gladly take 3.5A from a 26650 KK

foy's is the same driver with regulator chips added to get to that 3.5a

I have no doubt you'll read 2.8A at the tail w/ that nanjg driver and a good battery (note I didn't say 'batteries' as in AAs).

I've heard others say they've gotten bad ones, but I've gotten 5 from KD (3A), 5 from cnq and 2 from nitro. I tested them all and they're all right on spec for what they PULL.

Yeah the timing is great.

I am already getting requests for upgraded drivers for this. If anyone is interested I can make the same driver in Foys for you. Nanjg 105c, 10 chip, 3.5 amp, 5 mode with no flashies and a moon low .02, .09, .70, 1.7, 3.5 amps for $10 bucks delivered CONUS only. PM me and we can talk I have other limited mode options available.

Also this is a very easy upgrade the whole brass driver holder can be pulled out with some needle nose pliers. The holder is than removed and the driver and holder can be replaced on the bench and pushed a back in with a needle nose, 10 minute job priceless improvement in performance.

E1320, With your driver mod, can one still use 3AA's?

Yes you can and all the modes will work the same except you will only get around 2.5 amps max with 3AAs if you use a 26650 or 18650 you get the full 3.5 amps on high.

With your driver mod it's a pretty tempting deal.

This might also work in the HZ-16 light from CNQG and building a AA battery carrier. It might be a fun one to mod because it's fairly inexpensive. I think I'm just looking for an excuse to build one of these things

Ric has added so many DIY hosts it blows my mind. I don't know where to start.

Thanks. If i used 3 Eneloops, will they provide 3.5A? I heard they discharge at a higher amperage.

They can provide 3.5 for a short time, but not in the stock C-88 battery holder. I modded a 3AA battery holder to deliver 3.5 amps, but the Eneloops sag really fast.