Accessing multi-channel features on TS10

This doesn’t seem to be widely known, but on the v1 and v2 TS10 with updated Anduril firmware each aux color is available as a separate channel.

For v1 (which ships with a 2022 firmware) this only works if you flash to a newer Anduril >= 2023-05-02:

wurkkos-ts10: Converted to multi-channel, and gave it a new ramp with better low modes (0714)

By default 3C allows toggling main/aux for strobes and battery check. To also access the aux in ramping mode, first you need to do 9H to enable aux as a channel (manual), then 3C will toggle there.

This is more of a fun feature since aux aren’t very bright, but there might be some utility as well. On v2 with rgb aux, it also allows selecting a limited set of colors to cycle through using 3C totally separate from the aux colors in off and lockout modes.

1 Thank

that sounds interesting… TK has a bunch of hex files here Index of /torches/fsm/anduril2
will give one a try and see if I can get Ramping Aux channel on an Aluminum TS10 w single color aux

https://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/anduril.2023-10-31.wurkkos-ts10.hex worked well for me on a v1 single-color aux. It also uses aux for battery check by default and includes the feature that does a tiny ramp when turning on or off.

Also note that the aux levels aren’t really adjustable, when using aux in ramping mode they are either on high or turn off when the ramp level gets lower.

2 Thanks

thanks!
I loaded the anduril.2023-05-02.wurkkos-ts10.hex

did a factory reset, and then went to Advanced mode smooth ramp
used the 9h from on channel config and set channel 2 to be On
now from On the 3C command turns on bright Aux… kinda cool

and 3C from Off for batt check blinks the Aux… also kinda cool :+1:

I then lowered the ceiling to 110/150, which gives about 470 lumen w the 6000K LEDs

then from On did 6C to switch to stepped mode and lowered the ceiling to 110/150…

fun stuff! :wink:

update, since the Aux wont ramp, I reverted to stock TS10 firmware (7/19)… I have bright aux set to lockout (since I never lock)

I gave up the feature that lets the Aux blink voltage with the 5/02 hex, since there is a bright white flash before the aux start the battery blinks…

I resist change… lol :beer:

1 Thank

Are you tried the last Anduril version?

https://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/anduril.2023-10-31.wurkkos-ts10.hex

I always flash the last version, it includes corrections and new features, and it doesn’t loss performance (like IOS cof cof)

I only update if there is a new feature I actually want…

I already am accustomed to using 3C to switch from stepped to smooth ramp, so I dont see any reason to relearn to do that with 6C instead

I already have a way to enable Bright Aux (4C)… I dont need new firmware with new click sequences to do that

That’s not the latest version. I moved development to github recently:

About multi-channel functions on TS10 though, it’s not very useful. It mostly just adds some minor cosmetic and novelty features, like having battery check on the aux LEDs, and a police strobe mode (RGB version only).

4 Thanks

when I wanted a hex file I went here:
https://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/
where in git is that list now?

Im quite lost looking at the links you posted
(poor me, I just dont git it… lol)

The “releases” link has a .zip file containing all the .hex files.

got it… Thank You :wink:

Agreed — I’m still glad you added it though! My most useful lights are simple Convoys with buck drivers. But nothing wrong with making the ts10 even more entertaining :slight_smile: and getting more use out of existing hardware. Using orange aux (best single color IMO) for strobes is trippy.

1 Thank

This post and the surrounding conversation were pretty interesting about aux as channels to provide more context.

Party strobe with aux selected (3C) actually gives a decent but extremely limited preview of what ramping looks like for aux. The fastest strobe frequencies, to my eye, start to be perceived more like PWM and provide a small range of mid levels for the aux.

Still no practical purpose in mind I just found it kind of cool.

2 Thanks

potential tiny code change: use low aux for chan-aux level 0 by aslotnick · Pull Request #47 · ToyKeeper/anduril · GitHub

In the current implementation of using aux LEDs as channels, level 0 results in the aux being set to “off” while levels 1+ result in the aux set to “high”.

With this change, level 0 will result in aux “low” while levels 1+ continue to result in aux “high”.

This makes the chan-aux and chan-rgbaux feature slightly more useful.

1 Thank

Just got my 4KK TS10V2. Quick question: Is there a way I can go directly to the RED aux only from white? I need this for an astronomy light, and really just want white (ramping) and red.

Sounds like a good use case.

Yes, v2 lights ship with the channel-rgb-aux feature built in. To enable red as a channel:

• “Press 9H (while on) to start the channel mode config menu” (manual)
  • the main emitters will flash, then the red aux emitter.
  • release the button after the red flash and click once to enable the channel (click 0 times to disable it)

Now you can use 3C while the light is on to switch between the main emitters and the red channel.

Note that only high is supported for the red aux and it’s not too bright. But maybe this will be enough for your purposes in astronomy?

3 Thanks

good option

because I already use 3C for ramp style switching, I use a different strategy. I use Lockout to enable bright red

Yes but, bright red Aux on a TS10 is not much use for illumination. The Aux do not have a focused beam, and they are not bright enough for walking a trail.

The light I use for Red Illumination, is an Emisar D2, which gives me full ramping Red from one of the main LEDs, not from Aux.

But on a TS10, here is how to set Bright Red Aux in Lockout. Starting w a light that arrived w Dim Voltage Aux enabled for lockout.

1. Go to lockout by doing 4C
  2. Do 7H and hold very briefly. The Aux change from Voltage mode to Dim Red Mode. (7H cycles the colors of the Aux)
  3. Do 7C, the Aux switch from Dim Red to Bright Red. (7C cycles the brightness of the Aux, dim, bright, blink, off, repeat)

done.

now, anytime I want bright red, I lockout the light with 4C, and to turn them off I do 3C, which unlocks to Off. Note that whenever I do 4C or 3C, the white LEDs flash, so I hold the light in a way that covers the lens, since I dont like white light flashes.

I hold the light with the lens towards my palm, and make a partial fist with my bottom 3 fingers. I press the button w my index finger. Or it also works to use my thumb after wrapping all 4 fingers around the light.

Update, I think the way reader9 suggested is better because it takes less clics to access Red. Once the light is in Red mode, it will turn off and back on in Red mode from a single clic.

To comply with Red Only for Astronomy gatherings, I also have Red Aux on Dim configured to come on when I turn the light off.

There are no white flashes this way, so it is much more Astronomy appropriate. I also turn off Post Off Aux Voltage Display, so there are no colored LEDs coming on, when I turn off the light.

To turn Off Post Aux Voltage Display

1. From Off, do 3C, this starts battery check
  2. Do 7H and release on 2nd blink, then do nothing, just let the light stop flickering.

fwiw, I also set Batt check flashes to come from the Red LED instead of main white. To do that

1. From off do 3C to start battery blinks
  2. Do 3C to switch the blink to Red (but there is a white flash first)

done

2 Thanks

Thanks, both of you. It’s working great!

1 Thank

Good point about using lockout mode for high aux. This method is also useful for people with the original ts10 who can’t update to a new firmware version.

1 Thank

Thank you reader9 for teaching me how to use the new MultiChannel feature. I had been too intimidated to try it on a TS10 w RGB, until you posted the instructions.

It works really well to set the RGB TS10 to have a single color Aux Channel. The only downside is that the TS10 Aux are pretty much useless for illumination, because the beam has no focus.

1 Thank