Accidental Activation a Big Problem--Got Burned Yesterday!

They don’t keep their lights in a pocket, but in a holster which almost certainly prevents accidental activation.

I carried my 1-mode no-lockout ’502 for years. You can do the same. <shrug/>

Jacket pocket carry is very common. And I’ve had lots of times of lights activating in a side carry holster, usually done while sitting down and bumping it.

1-mode 502 is great. I think it has a lot to do with the switch tension.

Interrogation consensus…

&lt;whips out and shines blindingly-bright light at someone&gt;

“You! Jones! What’s your opinion of the Corporate Plan?”

At least they won’t set their pants on fire. :laughing:

Yes, but they won’t have a light very quickly AND they won’t have fun signaling across the building at random times.

Great little light, still got it. (It did like 95%+ of what I needed it for.)

No ano on any threads, so no lockout short of completely removing the tailcap.

Now your just putting words in my mouth, I just refuted the faulty and flawed reasoning you put forth in attempting to defend your position and pointed out there are flaws in everything you said about “NEED” for tactical modes in the professions you listed albeit limited by scenario.

Hell for my EDC despite every light I have in my collection for single cells I’ve ALWAYS gone back to either my convoy s2+ with 18350 shorty tube with an SST40/XHP50.2 or more than likely my old beat up OG BLF A6 they both do everything I need as an EDC and provide light when and where I need it.

and almost every light has one, loosening of the tailcap,

For me, the choice of not locking out, or twist tail cap lockout, or electronic lockout is a matter of personality. That's why I like all three.

If I was that concerned about my flashlight turning on accidentally I’d just carry another one that wasn’t as easily turned on. Let’s be realistic here, most flashlights will work as well as another one in the vast majority of situations. For example I’m hard pressed to construct a scenario where my Convoy S2 couldn’t be used in place of my FW3A as an EDC. The S2 isn’t as bright and doesn’t have ramping, etc but most times what I need in those situations is light.

roflmao

LOL

First off, sorry you burned yourself, glad your’e OK.

But, i don’t think eliminating an entire switch type is a solution. i very often (not always) lock out my lights, mechanical turn of tail cap or head, or adequate amount of clicks. i have never needed to EDC a “tactical” light (i truly think these two types of carry could not be more inherently opposite) so i don’t worry about the seconds needed to unlock my light either. I know that if I am wearing a SUIT the need for a TACTICAL light with tactical features like INSTANT access to on would go out the window … Maybe I’m wrong here? I get very angry when i burn myself with my light but this post is a little over the top… Banning or restricting any design elements in a free market that are not immoral/illegal/undeniably dangerous is usually counter intuitive. Yes some (a few) manufacturers could make better switches, but then again some people hate the KR1/KR4/FW3a switches and i love them, and ive had accidental activations with all 3 of those lights. i just lock it out now when i sit in my car or at my work desk, were 95% of my accidental activations happen.

i couldn’t find it either, and that annoyed me. like the jkk20 is the most known torch on the market and i’m (proverbially) in the dark on it. i need to see this lights switch

Rusty Joe, I get your point.

Carrying an incendiary device with a hair trigger, loose in a pocket without a safety, causes burned pockets.

A design capable of turning on at pocket burning levels, paired with an eSwitch, is a new design problem. An unintended consequence of the Pocket Rocket Lumens Race…

back in the day, Tactical lights did not produce enough lumens to provide pocket burning capability, and their mechanical switches required considerably more force and travel than a modern eSwitch. And they were carried in a holster.

My Rapid Response Tactical light has no switch. The design cannot come on at maximum in pocket, yet can be activated to any level including maximum, as quickly as I can turn the dial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30IbfpNNyxg

Did people burn their pockets before Anduril, and the Olight Warrior?

I’ll pass on the surefire with its 500 lumens of blinding white light with cr123.edit, that was in reference to the twist tail safety . If you are going to carry something that can hurt you then you do need to take precautions.
Want,need,deserve,tactical,side switch(?), loose in pocket,? I don’t mean to pile on but I think that part of your anger is because your flashlight made you look like a fool. But I thank you for sharing. And I may slightly alter my carrying habits. I currently always keep one of my edcs in a lower mode to avoid problems. And I’ll consider lowering the level where I shut off my primary EDC. It will still be just two clicks to Turbo so that’s plenty “tactical”. Every light I have carried has had an unintentional activation and I’ve modified my carry or light choices.

Temperature regulation circuitry :wink:

This works for me. The D4 and FW3A just couldn’t be pocket carried until I modded them. Now the D4 has had 0 accidental activations. I don’t carry the FW3A so I can’t say about it. The thermal limit is at the default(?) 45 C so it won’t burn me even if it did turn on.
If you’re going to pocket carry a Ruger LCP, you better use a holster that covers the trigger. Same deal.

Yes, thermal regulation is your friend, assuming it works as intended. You might get a hot pocket, but it shouldn’t burn you. Make sure to only buy lights with good thermal control. Sometimes I turn it off, but at least I know the light is unsafe at that point, and wouldn’t pocket-carry.

I have to know, because I looked as well - what actually is a JKK20, couldn’t find a single mention of it on Google. Would you mind showing us? (more out of interest than anything else)

No one seems to know. :smiley: