Acebeam W10 1000m throw EDC???

I made an analogy comparing the brynite to the GT.
The GT head diameter is bigger than the brynite.
The brynite is bigger than the W10.

Get what I’m saying?
The amount of lux per front area is extremely high.

If you put the technology of the W10 in something the size of a brynite you could probably get 1Mcd+
The technology is very impressive and definitely worth $200 to a lot of other people.

In more than one post in this thread safety concerns of a laser pumped phosfor set-up is mentioned. I doubt that this is a valid concern, in such “white lasers” the blue laser is contained inside the SMD component and I’m sure it does not radiate in any direction that comes out of the component itself, let go out of the flashlight.

Only if you mod the light. Not an option for many people, especially professional users.
Also, the tint might be much better.

The Brinyte has a 50mm lens. That is a difference!

Yeah, all of these laser-phosphor lights will need some sort of laser sink to prevent accidental radiation, which could instantly blind someone.
The SLD laser seems to have one built right into the package.
If someone uses a separate laser and remote phosphor they will need to be careful to not leak any laser light.
For example, if going laser -> phosphor -> lens there will need to be a section of the middle of the lens blacked out to prevent non-absorbed laser light from passing through.

It’s a bit more complex than that. The Acebeam is rated as a class 3B laser. In Germany for example it’s illegal to buy class 3 and 4 lasers (the posession is allowed though). Using it in public is also illegal. Making it really safe is actually a lot of work. The SMD component from Soraa probably makes this easier if they make it correctly (is it vibration proof?).

I created a thread in the German TLF forum with general information regarding laser phosphor systems which also includes safety information pertaining to lasers in general.

But laser also has shorter life span and it is less shockproof?

I am really looking forward for this small monster although that could mean game over for my modded lights but I don’t care. I am open to future and future lights should be zoomable, small, portable and with extreme candela intensity.

Imho that does not look as 250 kcd light.

Mine 250 kcd light looks far more intense than that. You can’t even look at it at that distance…

Maye light meter react differently on laser and differently on led?

It doesn’t have to be as intense. The beam simply does not “spread” as much as normal LED lights. If you look at it, the spot is almost the same size as the flashlight head, while normally the spot would already be a lot bigger. This light will be the most pencil beam of all throwers, probably beating an XP-E in an L2 when speaking about beam width. This makes me question it’s practicality

That video did not look impressive, expectations vs. reality I suppose… :weary:

Thanks for posting it! :beer:

He’s in a well-lit expo room. Not even my 650-700cd T21vn looks that intense in a bright room. And it is all about beam divergence— or lack thereof. Look at advanceknifebro’s youtube video of the lance of ra. Looking at the first shots of its beam you wouldn’t think it would travel that far at all.

I’m more concerned about light quality. Looks very blue/greenish, but again that could just be the camera’s white balance and how it looks in relation to the room lighting.

There’s not much you can judge the beam from at 30cm on a black surface in that video, although I think I see a pretty nice round hotspot. But that could just be the beam not collimated yet.

I’m still very excited about these developements!

It’s laser pumped phosphor, it will have parts that are more blue and parts that are more yellow, and also extremely low CRI.
Definitely something for people who care about the light quality, this is just for throw.

I would bet that this first version of this type of light source is designed for as much light as possible, so cool light with low CRI, but why do you expect such big tint variation over the beam?, and the CRI I guess can be adjusted by the phosfor just as in leds?

So my question actually is: why would white light generation by a blue laser be principally different than white light generation by a blue led?

(to have a go at my own question: being that the light enters the phosfor from the side in this setup could cause a gradual tint change from where the light enters the phosfor to where it exits the phosfor)

The laser only lights up a small portion of the phosphor, it is not perfectly even lighting like underneath an LED.
Some parts get more laser light, some parts get less.

That was also my own go at the answer :slight_smile:

Also the chromatic aberration of the lens doesn’t help :stuck_out_tongue:

So it’s a blue laser exciting a yellow phosphor to make ‘white’.

I want somebody to make a red,green, and blue laser culminate into one white laser in a flashlight host.

People have done it on the laser forums, obviously it makes a point like a normal laser, not a usable spot like a flashlight.
Check out RGB hand-held laser | Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers | High Power Lasers
Also it only has 3 wavelengths of light so even though it is technically “white” it looks bad.

I checked it out Today. The WL20, which is rated at 2000m really does throw extremely well for a light of its size. The rating does in fact seem reasonable.

those lights are single Mode only.

Unfortunately the chromatic abberations for the WL20 are pretty significant. It went from a must buy to “will probably pass” for me. The Spot/Beam is in no way uniform white but more like a little rainbow. It’s better and not as obvious for the WL10 Model with the smaller lens though.

I think we will see many laser powered lights soon.