Acebeam X65 12000 Lumens 1301 Meter throw

I would bet before 5 minutes it drops below 5000lm.

Plenty of people have payed far more for the relatively underpowered LED Lenser X21.2

I was waiting for the Olight X9 (12k lumens), which seems like it’s in production limbo, and was pleasantly surprised to see the Acebeam X65, an actual existing product, is available. However, if the X65’s turbo max runtime is only about a disappointing 5 minutes, like the X60, I might just wait to see what the Olight can do before making a purchase.

Ha, I will wait for the mighty Noctigon M43 II for (hopefully :smiley: ) far under 400 bucks and more lumens!! :smiling_imp:

The Noctigon M43 II maybe has more flow. But never has the throw of 1300m

The issue is that for 12k lumens you are looking at around 120 watts of power output (a bit more in the real world I bet). This is going to be the same no matter who makes the light.

That is an insane amount of power for the record and produces an insane amount of heat.

In order for that to be sustained it would either have to be a MASSIVE light with MASSIVE fines or it will have to step the power down to keep from melting itself (yes, this can and does happen, I have melted the solder under an LED a few times). If left on turbo for an extended period of time it would get stupid hot.

The other thing is battery power. 4x 18650 batteries have about 48 watt hours. That means they can supply 1 watt for 48 hours or 48 watts for 1 hour.

It is pretty simple math to see that 48 / 120 = .4 hours or about 24 minutes. Although it is actually less then that since once battery voltage drops it will not be able to maintain full output. So figure ~15-20 minutes till output starts dropping due to the batteries not having enough power.

So no matter who makes the light, you will not get more then ~20 minutes before output starts dropping with 4x 18650 cells, no matter what LED’s or other things are used. This is something that can not be designed away.

Figure that you will get maybe 5-10 minutes tops before the light is far too hot to hold though, in which case it would be silly for them to allow it to keep getting hotter.

$500 or more for a light this size with 400~Kcd and 12.000 Lumen

I´ll take the Thrunite TN40 first, any time of the day and keep the “change” in my pocket. 400+ Kcd and 5000+ Lumens for half the price.
This Acebeam is trying to be a thrower and a flooder at the same time, being far too big and heavy and waaaaay to expensive.
To me this is a light lumenhunters.

Just my opinion, that is.

Grtz
Nico

I also think if you ask so much from the cells, the drain C rate gets very high. This light Wil have more then 4 cells, probably 8x 18650 this will be ~40 minutes.

I think we’ve reached a point with the current LED technology and thermal management techniques where crazy amounts of lumens (10000 and such) is really only possible with massive output drops due to heat generated. Even massive heads don’t really seem to make much difference (X60M for example).

Active cooling with an integrated fan could be a possible solution. The X9 definitely sounds like it could be a huge step forward. I haven’t heard anything about it since that shot show video though.

Exactly, this is why I bought the TN40S this light cost me $171

Thanks for the explanation Ace. I suppose I’m fed up with the misleading advertising then from flashlight manufacturers. They should advertise sustained max output; sustained meaning at least 1, maybe 2 hours runtime. I’m much more interested in knowing the lumen output for a more practical time period of use than some rating for 5 minutes usage.

Also, if it will only run for 5 minutes before stepping down, it is deceitful to state a spec of “12,000 lumens, 1 hour” on their site. It should read, “12,000 lumens, 5 minutes”.

Blame ANSI. It’s not really Acebeam’s fault, especially because this is pretty much how every company advertises…

The first part is just how things are, people want big numbers and they give them big numbers. They would keep those numbers up all day if it were within the laws of physics. Many people, myself included, like to have a few minuites of fun time at insane power levels, we are aware we will need to step it down in order to have long runtimes. The truth is though that most people will not notice the step down in power with the naked eye.

The second part I agree with, although once again it is not quite that simple. When it is temperature regulated how long before it steps down depends on what the temperature is, how you are holding the light among other things. In warm weather laying on a table it could only last 4-5 mins but in freezing weather with your hand warped around the hottest part of the light it might go the full 1 hour before the batteries die in turbo.

Although I did get part of my math wrong. I forgot they were using 6x XHP70’s which makes them a bit more efficient. So instead of 120 watts it would actually be ~100 watts depending on driver efficiency. Not a big difference but enough for then to get the claimed 1 hour in turbo.

The Olight has a cooling fan in it, as I know.

Some new info

5*CREE® XHP35 High Intensity *
12000 lumens
423000cd Throw 1301M
Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery pack(8*18650 3400mAH)
5-year Limited Warranty
1290g (included battery)

1.3kg that’s quite heavy, hopefully all that mass is used for cooling.

…That’s… the most romantic thing I’ve heard in a long time…

Reading the description of the new Olight X7, it uses XHP 70 LEDs, vs the XHP 35s in the Acebeam X6. Since both are quoted for 12,000 lumens, does that mean the Olight X9 is more energy efficient or have better runtimes than the X6?

The XHP70’s will be much floodier but it will also be more efficient. Although not enough so as to make a vast difference.

Although if any LED is seriously overdriven (which it sure as heck is to reach 12k lumens with XHP35’s) it will be significantly less efficient.

The LED’s themselves do not vary all that much when driven at sane levels, maybe 15-20% or so, which is only a few minutes of run time in turbo. Nothing to write home about.

Was interesting reading the above posts.

As we’re reaching the limit of led and battery technology and we want ever brighter lights :slight_smile:

I’m hoping we might start seeing laser lights appearing in the not to distant future
Does away with the heat issue,many times more powerful than LEDs with much less current drain, or so I understand

They are already appearing on high end cars

I sent my payment for this light today to the person who supplies me with his enhanced Acebeam products, primarily because the combination of throw and power that this light has is what I am looking for. :)

I will post back with pics when I get the light.