Acumen C8V1 - Group Buy - Interest Assessment Post

Greetings, friends…

It has been my goal to design and build my own flashlight brand, or at least partner up with a brand who can help with that aim. As I am now in a position to potentially make that happen, I am coordinating a potential group buy with the community. I want to know if the below interests you and if - and how many - you’d be game to buy.

This is a very serious effort on my part. As a first attempt, I will give a go at a remote C8 style light, which will feature the following…

-a forward-clicky with firm switch resistance
-a second switch on the tailcap for mode control, by which all modes are memorized
-3 simple modes (high, low, and moonlight - no blinkies)
-the ability to tail-stand
-a strong two-way pocket clip
-the new W5050 emitter for maximized throw
-no temperature step-down
-current regulated in all modes
-no visible PWM

I consider the above to be a move toward tactical efficiency, simplicity, and usability in a host that everybody has come to know and love. Quite honestly, with every review I post, I keep being taken aback at just how unsatisfied I am with the offerings currently on the market.

Call me nuts, but I feel like I can change the torch landscape in some small way (or maybe big way).

How does this sound to you? Is this something that speaks to you?

2 Thanks

In if the price is acceptable.

Always happy to get extraordinary C8 :star_struck:

1 Thank

Count me in as a buyer. Congratulations on your new venture

1 Thank

Count me in. Also when you say remote c8 style, do you mean the focus/usecase is as a long gun light? ( I hope so!)

1 Thank

Reminds me of the emergence of XinTD C8. :sweat_smile:

1 Thank

I am drawing up blueprints now. More to come.

I have no interest in this light (I hardly buy lights these days), but man it’s awesome to see you make this move. I will be following this post, and wish you the best of luck Joe. Awesome!

1 Thank

This is not getting the traction I’d hoped.

A graphical design of the flashlight might help. Also, what do you mean by no temp stepdown? wouldn’t that damage the LED?

Not if the LED isn’t driven beyond its specs. So you sacrifice brightness for runtime and optimal use.

Forthcoming.

Not sure what is the formula of this thread and if comments are allowed but I’ll risk one :innocent:

I quite don’t understand the concept of not having thermal regulation and not overdriving the Led. This means we’re speaking of around 10 Watts and 1000 lumens at peak. And this would satisfy me in the Headlamp which I use constantly. But in a thrower body I’d expect overdriven current to make it brighter for short periods of time. This is how I use throwers: light them up forr 10… 20… 30 seconds and then shut off. My everyday setup is a headlight constantly on and a thrower lit up only when needed.
The answer will probably be this is not meant to be a thrower but then I’d ask: then why put throwy led? and why not to make the head smaller? Smaller head would mean better handling, wider spill, less mass, more pocketable.

1 Thank

I appreciate your input. Your perspective is valuable. Constant, non-dimming output is always something I’ve loved. Apparently you do not. And no, this is to be a thrower. I can boost output and have a step-down to manage it, but to me, that’s stressing the light for long-term usage.

If enough people feel like you, 1Stein, I’ll go a different route.

I agree with 1stein. Maybe some way to configure it so turbo is enabled/disabled?

1 Thank

Well, the thing is, I’m not a fan of complicated programming or configuring of lights. In fact, I hate them. But again, if enough people want it, it may be worth it.

The button needs to be able to be found and pushed with gloves on. In the dark.
The rear button is a real plus as is a forward clicky.
The side switch could be found by positioning the clip.
Better still a lighted button that is always on - dimly.
The glove thing is a deal breaker on a tac light.
No stepdown! Excellent. Rather have a known lumen w/o over heating the LED.
Hope this works out for you!
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

Excellent.