Adventures in Greased Lightining, Rouge and Practical Broiling

I'll tell you what is bad-a$$ . . . is that Remington. I've heard of Cerakote but don't know much about it. I definitely want to try that on a flashlight . . .

Foy

Thx for this very informative thread Foy! I'm contemplating picking up a Stone White JM07. Have you ever heated up any bare Al? If so, what color does it turn into? I'm not sure about the color so just in case I don't like it, would be awesome if there was an option to change it.

Cheers,
Tim

I have white and black Cerakoted mini L2Xs coming back soon. It's awesome stuff.

If you have access to a local coater, go for it. I used the service on CPF proper, in the B/S/T area.

What is the going rate for cerakoting for something say, the size of a p60 host?

I would estimate $30 to $40, depending on quantity and masking requirements.

Little or no change - most "silver" lights probably have some sort of clear coating on them - all you are likely to do is burn it off. #114

Nice lights! Very temptation!

My L2m...

Ha!, had me confused there for a sec, I was about to respond "Thx kreisler!" and then I noticed the quote said Don (didn't notice there was more than one member using a squirrel in their avatar).

Anyways, thx for the link Don, good to know.

Btw, greased lightning is just a commercial name for that generic like, yellow degreaser sold in all "marts" averywhere for a buck or near that?

Correct, except the bottle is purple. :)

You want a product that has alkaline builders (or phosphates.)

Alternately, oven cleaner can be used - BE CAREFUL USING OVEN CLEANER, AS IT CAN BURN YOU !!!

"GREASED LIGHTNING" is preferred, as it is much safer to use in a home setting.

Dunk the flashlight in it (the neede parts) and a few hours later wash and neutralize it?

Correct. You can also heat the degreaser in the microwave for around a minute per 250cl, as this speeds up the reaction.

It will start off slowly, then build in intensity. The bubbles given off are hydrogen, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH EVERYTHING !!!

Oh no worries, when i was a teenager a few decades ago i was regularly making black gunpowder without any issues. I knew how to do it safely so my parents let me. They were not happy about it at all i can tell... but let me do it after i demonstrated all steps carefully and convinced them it was safe enough. I was assited a few times with various chemicals then left alone doing whatever i wanted to do as long it was safe and not outragely stupid.

Thanks for the warning tho, but chemistry was always my passion and i have the due respect. Nothing foul ever happened and sincerely hope and try all my best to keep it that way. (i always gather info 1st) :)

I had one incident with sulphuric acid. :) Burned 3 holes on my new pair of jeans. I was delighted. No stupid chemical lab thing, just swapping a dead car battery. When i was about to take the dead one to the shop i had to run through the street as there were some crazy drivers around. That running spilled a few drops here and there of sulphuric acid. A bit stingy but not overly painfull. 2h later i wuldn't belive what happened on the trousers.

My polished Trustfire C8-T6 and SF L2m

I’m going to give broiling a try on my 502b tonight after work. But I imagine its paint and not ano. But we will see. Maybe if its Orange it will make me like it enough to not give the host away…

rikr -

I thought about leaving the rouge in the knurl like that too . . . mainly because it is so hard to get out. Your lights turned out awesome.

Foy

Foy,

Thank you, I think the look of them is so cool and I think I am going to do 1 more and that will be my 980L. Yours looked so good and that is what inspired me to do my lights. I have a question about the type of wheel I bought for my bench grinder it was a soft and not very firm and all these strings come off and fly all over me should I buy the more firmer one? The first picture is the white one I have and then there's the yellow one, is that the one I should of gotten?

1. White one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_329538-70-PC6MBP_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3364040&UserSearch=porter-cable+6%22+white+polishing+wheel+item+%23%3A+329538&Ntt=porter-cable+6%22+white+polishing+wheel+item+%23%3A+329538&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

2.Yellow one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_329540-70-PC6FBP_4294777257_4294937087_?productId=3364042&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Wire%2BWheels%2Band%2BBuffing_4294777257_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Thanks for your help.

Looks better than great Rick!

That looks very nice.