advice for a "throwy" compact convoy

in this

Simon told the beam pattern is similar to the stock reflector but i could try
thanks for your advice

What about a M1 or M2?
You can use a XP-L HI to get both high lumens and good throw.

Try a Dedomed Xp-G2 in the older S2 (shorter brass pill /deeper reflector) I’ve built several with smooth reflector with a perfect beam and 35klux in throw

^This.

TIR not only focuses the beam the way you want it (60° for me because I want flood), it also blends all the ooky Cree color rings into a smooth “white” color.

Plus (at least with mine), I can slightly modify the tint color OTF by using a permanent marker to color the outside of the TIR. I did that to stop lumens from escaping the “back” of the TIR, and found the black Sharpie coating skewed the 3C XM-L’s tint too “blue”. If I tried that again I’d use White ink if such a thing even exists, or the Silver used to mark dark objects…

I installed a 45° TIR in my CNQG brass beauty with a XML2 T6-4C, the beam is so smooth and even that it’s my new favorite !

In all my flashlight endeavors I’ve never seen an optic throw more than a reflector—maybe I need to relearn what I thought I knew

Or maybe these 10-degree optics?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1606/10007055/1574902-21-2-12-6mm-pmma-optical-lens-for-cree-xm-l-t5-t6

XPL HI did give my BLF A6 a bit more throw…. In the S2 with the deeper reflector, it may do better. FET driver and increased Amps help somewhat too…

I’d also suggest a S2 with a dedomed XP-G2 (or XP-L HI) with a smooth reflector.

I have one with a dedomed XP-G2 and SMO and it throws much much further than my S2+ with XM-L2 and OP reflector or BLF A6.

My complaint with the S2+ was that it was just to floody. I talked with Simon and he suggested a TIR, and told me which one, so I tried it. I will not go back to a reflector in a tube light again! I now has a wonderful hotish spot that just falls off to nothing. The throw was definitely increased and maybe a tiny amount of light is lost. I used a permanent silver glitter pin on the back side of the TIR and the tint is wonderful! The light is built with a 6*7135 (.380 mah) driver and an XP-L2 in 3C.

Could not suggest this more!

Matt

Sooo… is that the same 10-degree TIR from FastTech I linked to above?

Mine came with a white shell, had to trim the shell a little to get it into the head. It does seem to align the TIR to the LED a little better.

TIR

I find the hot spot to be much better, may not add a lot of throw but the intensity with lack of excess spill tends to make it easier to see further.

Matt

thanks for the suggestions
I will try the tir first, then if i’m not satisfied i will buy a xpg2
Can i buy a pill with xpg2 and driver somewhere or do i need to buy a complete flashlight?
i’ m not able to solder :frowning:

Check out the beam pics in comfychair’s post here . The S4 with a dedomed XP-G2 seems to throw MUCH further than a S3 with XM-L2 (which I believe has the same reflector as the S2+.

I would say that is the perfect moment for buying a soldering iron…. :wink:

:smiley: Totally agree; you would not believe how easy (and rewarding) it is to solder your first driver to a LED/MCPCB. And the S2 is the perfect light to learn on since it is so easy to put together.

Thats the best way to get the exact light you need. A new combination in the S2 I just tried and really liked was a 219C with a Qlite driver.

I picked up a few recently from Mtn and they worked out really well. Not too floody.

I swapped a couple S6s from XM-L2s to a 219B and a 219C, all at 2800mA. Both had increases in throw. Estimated intensities having calibrated my phone’s light meter using factory lights:

• XM-L2: 7728cd
  • 219B: 8311cd
  • 219C: 9336cd

Outdoor beamshots and runtime graphs

It’s noticeably more throwy, and makes the light a joy to use. The 219C is not the emitter to use to win numbers contests, but if you want a nice light to actually use on a daily basis, it would be my top pick.

at the moment i bought this leddna.com - Informationen zum Thema leddna.
i hope it’s the right one

how much time in gasoline to dedome ? should i try ?
could i put in 2-3 mm deep gasoline without desolder anything?

later i will read linked topics and watch pics (work proxy filter)
i will experiment in the near future with soldering iron and new led/flashlight

thanks everyone

I too ordered TIR optics from FT and replaced in my red S2+, tighter and hotter spot for sure.

Will test side by side with blue S2+ when it arrives to see by how much the difference is in 200-300 meters.