Advice wanted by a non-collector

I’m not a torch collector but many of the reviews of the more interesting models are on this forum so this seems to be a good place to ask for buying advice.

My requirements are essentially cool, bright and cheap. I’m aware that’s a ‘pick any two’ situation, so here are some specifics.

Heat - needs to stay at a comfortable temperature even when left unattended on maximum brightness for 30 minutes. Call it idiot proof if you like :smiley:

Cheap - I’m in the UK so anything coming from outside the EU costing more than £15 (18.75USD) can incur customs charges that really push up the price. I am willing to pay £5-10 more for accessories such as a battery and charger (I own neither) that can be bought separately - or a more expensive torch using standard batteries with an EU supplier.

Bright - As much light as possible while holding to the requirements above. My research so far suggests that would be about 300-400 lumens.

If it’s a lithium torch it also needs to either have a reliable cut-off or accept protected batteries - I wouldn’t be happy with something that only had a warning flash.

In terms of other aspects, my preferences would be:

Beam - plenty of spill, this will be used for lots of different things so a thrower wouldn’t be ideal.

Size - I like chunky torches and you can never have too much battery capacity. The bigger the better.

Design - I’d prefer a colourful or even patterned torch. I saw the Astrolux M02 in it’s very pretty heat treated stainless steel, although unfortunately it’s bigger brothers are out of budget. I dislike tacticool.

UI - I’d like click for on, click for off. I’d prefer modes and other special features assigned to secondary functions like long press or off/on. I’m happy with unconventional switches like the ring on the Trustfire DF008.

Currently it looks like the Convoy S2+ 3x7135 variant in Red/Blue/Green is a good contender, although a little smaller than I’d hoped. Big, cheap non-thrower torches don’t seem to be very widely reviewed so I’m having difficulty finding information like temperature and protected cell compatibility on them.

Any advice? Either specific models or good indicators to look for. For example is there a rule of thumb about how much power draw translates into ‘too much heat’ or is budget light design varied enough that you can’t tell?

Thanks.

Welcome to BLF!
Check the Convoy BD series runs on 26650, available in NW and pretty nice beam with good spil and throw
build in charging with nice colored light in the reflector when charging (red while charging green done)

But a S2+ in red or blue is very nice and with just 3 7135 chips not too hot while in operation.

Welcome to BLF!
Check the Convoy BD series runs on 26650, available in NW and pretty nice beam with good spil and throw
build in charging with nice colored light in the reflector when charging (red while charging green done)

But a S2+ in red or blue is very nice and with just 3 7135 chips not too hot while in operation.

Eagle Eye X2R. Similar to the Convoy S2+, but has built in charging.

550lm, doesn’t get hot, super long run time, and $13 with coupon.

Hmm, my advice to a would-be-non-collector is leave now and don’t look back. :wink: one can only lead to more.

Would that be the BD01 and BD06? Convoy’s model numbers aren’t very straightforward. They look like good internals but the design is a bit aggressive for me. I was thinking along the lines of the Ultrafire DV-S9 (or perhaps this red version )

Looks like it could be an option in silver, thanks. Is it mainly the charging it adds over the S2+? Well reviewed chargers like the Lii-202 seem to be under a fiver so it’s tempting to pay the extra just for the more cheerful colour.

I should say I’m not in any hurry to buy, so anything that might come into budget some time in the next six months is fair game. I’ve bought from china once or twice before but I’m not sure how to assess the prices on lights. How much can I expected a random full priced item to be discounted by?

It does sometimes take me a few purchases to get the right item :money_mouth_face:

i dont know, mannnnnnn.

these guys? they’re… they’re…

well dang it? they’re just not good at helping people spend money…

(and if you believe that one? i have some real estate investment options for you… LMAO

The Convoy S2+ is a great flashlight. Period.

How much ‘horsepower’ you want depends on who uses the light:

- If it has to be muggle-save then go for the 3*7135.

• If all users understand the concept of different output modes (HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW) and that the most powerful lights must not be run unattended at HIGH mode for a long time - then sky is the limit.

A 3*7135 driver at HIGH delivers 1050 mA, an 8*7135 at MEDIUM (40%, depends on firmware) 1120 mA. Similar output, similar heat.
If you find your driver too strong just remove (break off) single 7135s to reduce the output. Each delivers 350 mA.

User Interface - If you order the light from Convoy’s own shop you can get the driver programmed with the latest Biscotti firmware for $1 more. (The latest programming issues should be resolved by now.) It has a great choice of mode groups. The most simple is just ON/OFF. But you should try the firefly mode.

Beam angle - Convoy (and others) offer several TIR optics that replace the reflector and give you a narrower or wider beam angle.
You may also want a diffuser.

And finally it is about the tints.

Go get one. You will not reget it.
But prepare to get addicted.

Since you’re in the UK and if you want to avoid Li-ion batteries at the start, and also don’t mind “chunky” lights, maybe start with single emitter light that takes multiple AA size batteries in parallel. I’m thinking something like Nitecore EA41 or Sunwayman D40A or something cheaper but along those lines?

This .

It’s not the understanding, it’s a case of not using a potentially dangerous item when a safe one will do the job just as well.

If I’m using the torch to light up a work area then I want as much of my attention as possible to be on whatever I’m working on, and as little as possible on checking tools. Especially as most of the hot models have no indicator other than the light output that they’re on high.

As far as I know I don’t have any requirements for a really bright light, so I’ll stick to something muggle-safe.

(although I’m surprised you haven’t swapped to using nomags)

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that option.

I’m more of a box person than a tube person, I’m expecting a sentry case to arrive in a couple of months.

I don’t mind Lithium batteries. I’ve got at least three lithium-powered devices in arm’s reach right now so one more isn’t going to make any difference provided it’s got the same protections on it. A 4-6 AA torch that gives the same capacity as a 18650 would be nice because of the bigger size and more widely available batteries/charger.

It’s mainly a case of finding a cheaper one that doesn’t get hot.

I did come across the Lumintop SD10 which looked ok and took a selection of batteries, but seems to have been discontinued in favour of a less capable and more expensive successor.

I’ve found “this ‘YZ BG7235”:https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10027556/6024205-yz-yz-bg7235-led-flashlight’ which looks like a potential option. 1 amp draw like the S2+, lots of spill and only a bit tactical. I can’t find much information about it though, is it a rebrand of something else? (I realise the lumen output is bogus).

I myself missed multiple opportunities to get an SD10 (or I think I remember there was a GB for a newer version) … sigh ;)…

Yes get yourself a Eagle Eye x5r and a nice cell be done with it and run! :wink:

+1 for Convoy S2+7135*4 with biscotti firmware
Or Eagle Eye X2R

An easy upgrade is an AR lens for it

Yes, you can run but the (flash)light will find you.

I should have read this much earlier!!!

Welcome to BLF, take your money and run :wink:

Maybe the Lumintop ED25 ?

Review here :

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/44746

This video from just over a year ago says the S2 comes with an AR coating, is that no longer the case?

I’ve been trying to decide between the 1.05A and 1.4A versions, why do you suggest the 1.4A?

I’m not particularly keen on a blacked out tactical torch unless it stands out feature-wise, so as well as reading up on your recommendations I’ve been trawling through stores to look at pretty torches. Some of them are well reviewed and I’ve been able to dismiss as unsuitable but others I’m struggling to find reviews on as it’s difficult to tell what other name they’ve been sold under. Does anyone recognise any of the following:
SME-T626 :

Over-budget and probably entirely wrong for my requirements with a 52mm reflector. Very nice looking though, especially if that matte finish is real and not a render.

YZ-BG7236 / Ultrafire DV-S5 :

18650 tube light in a rather nice sky blue, with a rather cool if slightly impractical piston-style side switch.

TR008 :

Appears to be some sort of 2*18650 relative to the Ultrafire DV-S9, Starry Night DXM et al. Judging from the beam shot it seems to be much less of a thrower with it’s triple LEDs.

Any ideas? Thanks

My first 18650 light was given to me; it was a single 18650 version of the SME-T626 you have above. rather cool looking light, but bad driver. very noticeable pwm on low and med, unavoidable blinky modes, hollow pill. Rather throwy, kinda like a C8. Finish is OK with a matte anodized head and tailcap, but it wears off quite quickly. tube is stainless.

Well that won’t stop me, minor issues a little polishing job and some power and I’ve got another weird looking but cool light, Thanks,
Like they said, take your money and RUN…… 12 lights so far this year…
Edit: Looks like something DBC would make with his lathe… ha ha