Aggressive knurling

The Z32 had a shock absorbing system inside it, a metal ring, foam and a plastic ring at the lens, to protect the Incan Bulb, the Z32 was from the 951/952 weapon light, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-M951-tactical-weapon-light-USED/123019658714?hash=item1ca48b05da:g:y6IAAOSwt2paqFPy

Here is a good idea what an original looks like, click the alternative view picture below and then go up to check the magnified picture to see if yours looks like it…

Yeah mine looks exactly like that, inside and out. Will a standard P60 LED drop-in fit? (I actually don’t have one to try, this is my only P60 type body)

Yes since the Surefire Incan module is the original (D26) P60!

OK thanks, that’s good news I’ll give it a try first.

I’ve also inquired at Solarforce-sales about buying just the L2T head (they used to sell it separately there) I can’t seem to find one anywhere without buying a whole light.

Speaking of aggressive knurling check out Bushnell Pro Series lights. All models from 50 lumen up to current 1500 lumen models. Some serious knurling. But only drawback is that can only be dropped by 1 meter. No typical 2 meter fall.

Yeah those are VERY aggressive! I have a Bushnell pro 350. I posted about it earlier in this thread (posts #7 & #15)

I bought it some time ago (at least a year or two) at a Walmart on a whim, because I liked the look of it and to try it as a host, but I never opened the package until I started this thread and remembered I had it!…. but for a host it’s a no-go, unless you have a lathe to make new internal parts and completely re-work it somehow, internally it isn’t constructed anything like what we’re used to seeing. The tint is horribly cold and bluish but I didn’t plan on using the stock emitter anyhow. They have a real neat mechanical “lock out” feature on the tail, but I didn’t see the need for that on a clicky tail switch light anyway.

Bushnell has since revamped their flashlight line, mostly called “Rubicon” now with smooth bodies. That whole “Pro” series line with the aggressive knurling is discontinued / no longer produced, there’s still a lot of them available on ebay, and a few on Amazon and there’s still a good many in some of the Walmart stores. The 1500lm is harder to find, I think there’s one on ebay. Adventure Sport reviewed the 1300lm, the battery on that one is built in/sealed (non-removable). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplnVzIQwZQ

I have 3 of the Bushnell Pro Series

650 lumens , 225 lumens, and 750 lumens ( rechargeable )( out or print/production)

Most of the Pro Series are long gone from Walmart Shelves.

The current ones on the market are 1500 lumen, 800 lumen, and 400 lumen.

All these ones below are long gone

50, 100, 225, 300, 350, 600, 650, 750 and 1300 rechargeables

Yes there are some 1500 lumen, 800 lumen, and 400 lumen currently still on the market, as well as many of the ones you say are long gone, but all of them are technically discontinued. All of the “Pro” series with that aggressive knurling are out or print/production, they are no longer part of Bushnell’s current lighting line.

Here is Bushnell’s current line of flashlights: http://bushnell.com/hunting/outdoor-technology/rubicon-lighting

Several of the ones you say are long gone are actually still available, including at some Walmart stores. For instance at one Walmart store I was in last week they had at least 5 of the 350lm, and several of the smaller ones including the 50lm. There’s still a few available on Amazon and there’s also plenty of them on ebay, including many of the 50lm, 100lm, 225lm, and 350lm:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?\_from=R40&\_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbushnell+pro+flashlight.TRS0&\_nkw=bushnell+pro+flashlight&\_sacat=0

You are lucky. All Wally’s around my area DO NOT have any left. The only ones are 400 lumens, 800 and 1500 rechargeable versions.

BTW, where did you get

X-110 “Billy Club” ? I want one. Thanks.

Years back when I got mine those were available from many of the usual online sources, I got it for around $20 from an online shop called “TomTop” (tomtop.com) but it’s no longer listed there.

It’s actually a clone of the Solarforce Gladiator. Recently I researched for the X-110 clone and wasn’t able to find it anywhere.
However the genuine Solarforce Gladiator appears to be still available here: https://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/products/solarforce-gladiator-professional-security-flashlight-body-with-3-dummy-18650-batteries-pouch

Unlike my clone the Solarforce uses a regular P60 Drop-in, so you can easily swap out the LED/driver with the many different versions that are widely available.

I also recently posted about these in my zoomie thread: Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie! - #168 by beam0

There’s also a thread here on a clone version from 2016 that includes a YouTube video: Know More about FX-X110 T6 900LM LED Flashlight ($16.14) via Hot Video

Today I got my BLF A6 bare (non-anodized) in 5A, with an S41S / S42S (18650) Extension Tube.

Wow, I have to say it’s awesome with this tube, the nicest knurling I have! (most aggressive)

My idea was to have the aggressive knurling of the S41S/S42S on the aluminum A6 so it wouldn’t be as heavy as a full stainless light.

The 5A tint is BEAUTIFUL! Way nicer than my 3D A6!

Great news! One was just listed by Brett trading on aliexpress…
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Baseball-bat-LED-flashlight-CREE-XM-L-T6-2500-Lumens-5mode-aluminum-reflector-cup-astigmatism-police/1246217_32690507443.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.502e6e2frUf8th

This seller often runs sales, if/when it goes on sale it will probably be around $20.

OTOH since this can’t be found anywhere else you might want to grab one while it’s available.

Well, my tubes arrived, and they lego perfectly with the S41S and the A6. The only snag is, they’re not bored widely enough to accept the protected cells I want to use. My original S41S and A6 tubes are fine. Flaky quality control from Astrolux / Banggood strikes again. Gah :person_facepalming:

Oh, well. The BLF A6 has been knocked off its belt EDC spot by a Desert Tan Convoy S2+ with an 8×7135 driver. The smooth reflector and XP-L HI LED of the S2+ allow it to throw its 800 lumen maximum further than the BLF A6 can throw its 1300 lumen maximum using its OP reflector and XP-L HD LED.

The extra throw from the S2+ is useful to me, so it looks like I’ll be gluing some big O-rings to it or something. Adding more aggressive knurling is one of the very few things I would change about the Convoy S2+…

A couple of my most aggressive knurled would be the little PK lights.

Not dropped them yet anyway…………… :slight_smile:

I never thought about using a protected cell in the BLF A6, and I don’t think the A6 will do 1300lm with a protected cell? It needs a high drain cell for maximum output. But I rarely use protected cells for anything anymore, just on a few lights with no LVP that I’d have the possibility of leaving on by accident.

I’ve been considering this ThruNite Neutron 2C V3

The knurling is same as on the Thrunite TC20, which is EXCELLENT.

(Photo by robo819, click the photo for his review on this light)

It’s a side switch only light, but has some great features:

• 1100lm turbo output
  • Smooth reflector, 14399cd / beam distance 240m
  • 1 click-ON/1 click-OFF operation with RAMPING
  • Shortcuts to Turbo and Firefly from OFF
  • Only 7mm longer than Convoy S2+
  • Protected 3400mAh battery included
  • Includes shorty 18350 battery tube
  • Built-in USB charging
  • LVP (shut off)

And did I mention awesome knurling? of course I did! :heart_eyes:

Nice!

Take a look at the PK lights I posted earlier above in post #72

!!!

Nice warrior 1 and 2 :sunglasses:

I found that an NCR18650GA with 10-amp cutoff on the protection board seemed to work quite well for me. I’m using the EagTac one - relatively short at 68 - 69mm. I also use it in my S41 / S41S. I won’t be getting the absolute maximum output possible, but it’s still pretty decent.

Hmm yes I see good point, from what I understand a good protected NCR18650GA will provide higher current than the usual protected cells. From what I’ve read the GA will not allow the A6 to reach full potential, but it’s a good compromise between output and runtime.

That is unfortunate the SS tube is to narrow for your purpose. I’m thinking the S41/S42 weren’t intended to use with any protected cells? But understandably more frustrating when the normal tubes fit them.

My tube is very poorly machined inside, about halfways down inside the tube it is thinner because there are bumped ridges/rings, I have 2 protected cells that are based on the GA:

• 3500mAh KD Light
  • 3500mAh EVVA 10A

The KD Light cell will go about 3/4 of the way in.

The EVVA goes in completely and works, however it’s slightly snug, not really “tight” just very snug, to the point where I have to remove the tube to push it through to remove it, but it slides out pretty easy, just a slight friction. It would fit work better if the tube were machined properly.

I got my EVVA from MTN: Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh

Diameter:18.7mm (mine measures 18.6 at the thickest point where the strip runs under the wrapper)
Height: 69.0mm

You could try one, but I’m not sure if that cell would be the solution for you, maybe but looking at the way the tube is machined they’re likely are variances between production, as well as a variance between the cells themselves from batch to batch.

Maybe open a ticket with banggood and see what happens.

Thanks for the KD Light / EVVA info, that’ll be useful for future reference :+1:

Strictly speaking, the tubes are in spec, because they accept unprotected cells and the lights they’re sold for are only marketed for use with unprotected cells. For that reason, I’m not going to bother chasing Banggood.

I’m just irritated because I can’t pick an Astrolux item up - any Astrolux item - and say that the next one will be reasonably close, the way I can with a good company like Convoy. My Astrolux stuff is gradually migrating to my parts box to be cannibalised - some of the parts may end up being built into Convoy hosts in the end :slight_smile:

I have noticed something interesting, though. I submitted a neutral review of the Astrolux tubes on Banggood, noting the lack of consistency from one to the next, and they didn’t publish it. Instead, they sent me an email diverting me to customer support.

Discovering that practice tells me that the Banggood review system is untrustworthy, so I’ll be bearing that in mind for future orders. There’s not much point to a review system that only shows you the good stuff.