Aliexpress Super Deals

I can probably take some measurements and pics in a couple hours. I want to mod it and I could use a new headlamp for this weekend. I’ve had it about six months but have hardly used it. There’s a lot of things I like about it but the SST40 is not one of them.

1 Thank

I was meaning to get some pics, but never got around to it. I’ll take some tonight or tomorrow and post them in the “What did you mod today” thread. I like how the mod came out, but I prefer my HD15 with dedomed 5700K and domed 4500K 519A.

Measurements and pics would greatly be appreciated.

Yeah, I totally understand not wanting to use it with the SST-40.

1 Thank

The Sofirn SC28 has been on Super Deals for a couple weeks at least. Price has been around $20. On the AE homepage right now (at least for me) it shows it at $15.36. But that’s just a link to the Super Deals page and when I find the light there it’s $19.74, link.

I’d say if it does drop to $15 it would be hard to resist. It has an XHP50.2 and comes with a 21700. Keep in mind it has a forward clicky. I’m not sure I’d like the UI…

Edit, I found another listing. This one is the $15.36 I saw but it does not come with a battery. Link.

Edit again: I assumed it was a 6/12V XHP, so a boost driver, but sounds like it could be a 3V version of the LED.

3 Thanks

No, it uses a 3V 50.2 and FET driver. I saw it selling for peanuts this morning and would have snagged it if it was a boost driver. Shame. I don’t need another crappy FET driver light, no matter how cheap it is.

4 Thanks

Still a great deal even without a battery.

2 Thanks

Purchased

That deal on the SC28 was really tempting, but given the fact that I already have several 3V/FET lights with a XHP50.2, it doesn’t really add much to my collection, so in the end I decided to skip this deal. Nonetheless; not a bad price for 21700/XHP50.2 light, even when it has a FET driver!

1 Thank

Sofirm SC31 pro with battery $17.2
Not sure if it’s the best deal ever but I pulled the trigger.

1 Thank

£26.89 17%OFF | 14500 Titanium flashlight Lumintop TOOL AA 3.0 900 lumens EDC pocket flashlight 5 mode with strobe AA flashlight

£2.97 75%OFF | Philips 2024 New EDC Portable Flashlight Rechargeable LED Flashlights for Defensa Personal Self Defense Camping Hiking

Heads up on Xiaomi Mi “U” thumb drive. LINK

I’m not posting this here to alert about a great deal. On the surface, it may seem to be one. After all, face value you can get a 2TB SSD thumb drive for $7 USD (previously it was $4 USD on sale).

When you plug it into your computer it will show a 2TB drive in a properties check with about 1.9 TB available. Disk Management also shows about 1.9 TB available (detail numbers are slightly different). But when you go to use it? You will discover that you cannot copy over files above a certain size. At first I tried copying over a 480GB backup file. The drive refused to accept it, throwing the message “file is too large.” Is this reflective of drive capacity? Maybe the drive is less than 500 GB?

Well, my file size attempts dropped quickly… and soon I discovered that anything over 4.0 GB is rejected. So yes, this drive supports files only 4.0 GB or less.

EDIT: Apparently this flash drive comes preformatted for FAT32… this is why per file it’s capped at 4GB

The other painful thing is that I’ve been finding transfer speeds to mostly hover between 13 and 14 MB/s. That’s really slow. My old external WD HDD of the same size, 2TB, can transfer at rates over 150 MB/s. And I know smaller format SSD drives, like the Samsung 850 EVO, can hit over 500 MB/s.

NOTE that there is a 16TB version of this drive available for something like $15 USD. That sounds like a killer deal, but I’ll bet anything that it also comes preformatted as FAT32. If you check recent reviews, you will see complaints that the capacity is not 16TB.

Lastly, there is that saying that you get what you pay for. I do not know how resilient this drive is to magnetic fields… but I suspect shielding is not very good. If you get one of these, make plans to have an anti-magnetic sleeve in which to store it.

1 Thank

“The FAT32 file system cannot store individual files larger than 4 GiB.”
Maybe format the drive as NTFS?
That won’t fix the slow transfer speed, but it should allow files larger than 4 GiB. :+1:

EDIT:
According to an AliExpress review:
“Ordered 2 terabytes and got 58.59 gigabytes”
Also, other AE reviews point out the slow transfer rate and wrong flash drive size.
Yep, it’s a scam. :thinking:

3 Thanks

2TB for $7? you got scammed. A resonable 2TB SSD would cost at least $100. It’s an obvious too good to be true scam product, as 90% of items on Aliexpress are.

Scam. Flashdrives from Amazon are often suspect for being counterfeit. From AliX!!! - almost for sure.
I use this to check them: Check Flash - Check the Health of Flash Drives - Technibble
AND this: H2testw - Download
Got to be careful with this kind of product now, INCLUDING SSD and NVME. If it’s a cheap unknown brand, buy at your own risk.

3 Thanks

Thanks!
I ran those utilities and they’re showing a capacity of 2TB. I’m going to reformat as NTFS and then see how it performs.

They ran and actually reported 2TB?
Something seems wrong. For an honest 2TB, especially at the reported low processing speeds, it would have taken a very long time, like hours. Did you note the reported speed?

Note-There are a LOT of 1* reviews, and those people seem considerably more knowledgeable than the 5* (works great…is perfect…) and other similar useless statements.

[The product-description is incorrect: 1) It mentions speeds up to a 150MB/s; but the maximum read- and write-speeds are ~21 MB/s at most on my 2TB USB stick, verified on 2 different systems with USB 3 support and both ex-FAT and NFTS filesystems for the USB stick. Reads sustain around 20 MB/s for large files, but writes are effectively very slow due to ‘temporary’ freezes after a file has been written (almost if it’s doing integrity-check on the data written like it’s flash-memory). It’s not something I’ve ever observed in regular branded USB-sticks. Writing ~15 800 files with a total size of ~12GB took around 3 hours, Reading them all back only ~15 minutes or so. See the attached screenshots. 2) It is not an official Xiaomi device; the USB VendorID (which work like MAC addresses) is not an official Xiaomi VID. 3) I haven’t been able to verify the claimed 2 TB capacity yet (given how slow writes are !); the device reports 2 TB, but this can be faked in firmware. ]

2 Thanks

Maybe I’m overly cautious, but I don’t buy anything from AE that plugs into my computer/ phone, or requires an app to use.

3 Thanks

Maybe overly sensible… :joy:

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific. When initially loaded it up, the H2testw program showed a target device of 2 TB. I reformatted NTFS and running the test… which is painfully slow. And it looks like it’s going to take more than 2 days!

When I started this under 2 hours ago? The estimate was 49 hours. Now, the estimate has gone UP. Also the MB/s rate is slower than it was when copying existing files to the device.

It’s quite possible that this IS a 2TB device… but its painfully slow performance makes it only useful for smallish files (2GB or less). And while an inferior data bus is in use (so much for USB 3.1 as advertised), the more pressing question is… can the device be used reliably. I don’t mind it being very slow, as long as it can serve as a super portable device for periodic file transfer or backup. It has both USB-A and USB-C connectors. It’s about as big as my thumb nail.

What to you think? Are you feeling lucky? :wink:
I hazard to ask what file(s)s are that large/numerous, that you would be willing to wait for that length of time to copy? :yawning_face: