ALIVE: Astrolux S42 groupbuy: US$ 25.95

I was just trying to phrase it “nicely”…

+1…… It almost seems to me that BG sets up these “pre-order” group buys for BLF so the capable members here can do the QC for them and tell them what they screwed up…… they definitely are not doing any QC themselves. I find it hard to believe they even tried a battery in one before sending them out ……forcing us to sort things out with CS which is like trying to talk to my dog…………. while she is taking a crap.

TomE can you take some measurements of the springs? (I guessed at 10mm tall uncompressed.) [edit] Sigh, I guess reading comprehension is not my strong suit today. Tom had most of this info that I posted below or asked for in his above post.[/edit]
Bottom diameter:
Uncompressed height:
Wire diameter: 1mm

Is there a generally accepted best practice of maximum compression? 50? 75?

This shows what an 18350 cell looks like in a 37mm tube. (Without compressing the springs.)

It seems like we are indeed doing all the QA for them. Sending us a longer tube is good, but how about the USB cover? And for goodwill, they should fix the UI as well.

I’ve been gone for couple days and picked my S42 up today. Threw a Vappower 18350 in and screwed the tailcap on. First it didn’t work, but when screwed really tight, it lit up.

Immediately wondered about the really flimsy USB-cover and when I unscrewed the tailcap, I noticed my Vappower’s negative pole dented quite heavily… So, I guess this 18350 will be my dedicated S42-battery from now on! :person_facepalming:

I’ll be waiting for the instructions on getting the redesigned USB-cover…

And yes. The UI is really annoying too!

Next time when they come out with the S43 they should first make a limited run at heavily discounted price only for BLF members. Call it the “S43 beta test”.

That way everyone can be happy.

If we assume 37mm for the tube and 2mm per Tom’s measurements for the recess in the tailcap to mount the tail-spring and 35mm for a battery.
(37+2)–35 = 4mm space for the springs. So each spring has to compress to 2mm total height in order for the tube to make contact with the tail and the driver board.

the official announcement comes tomorrow

but i think i can tell you that banggood will make and send new tubes

i do not have information if Astrolux plans to redo the UI

does it work different than described? (my sample is stuck somewhere - cannot try myself)

Thats good news but I ordered an 18650 tube also. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems I remember someone saying even the 18650 fit was a problem and sending a new short tube wouldnt help that. Seems they didnt learn anything from the different tube specs on the A6/S1. FWIW I havent received mine yet so I will try to stay optimistic but I think my sig says it all.

That is great news!

It would be nice if the make a little program (.exe-file) that will change the UI to our favorite UI. Perhaps with a poll.

Wait 2 weeks and then write a message to them. That could be easyer for you. First all supporters have to learn that there is a problem and a solution.

Does anyone else here think that somewhere in China, some QC guy is getting his or her arse kicked from one end of the factory to the other and back again……

Banggood have screwed up royally here on several levels - but having fallen into a deep pile of dog poo, they have the potential to come out of this smelling of roses if they step up to the plate and resolve these issues A. quickly, B. thoroughly and C. without us customers having to play email pingpong.

A further point (this may be applicable in other countries than the UK) - Paypal have a system where they will refund postage (up to £15) if you have to return an item you have paid for via Paypal. Once you register you can have 12 returns in a year. Doesn’t matter which country you’ve bought the item from.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Just letting people know in case they aren’t happy with any proposed solution.

SP

Good to know, as I’m not going to be happy with just a longer tube. With the dangling USB cover and the terrible UI, this flashlight isn’t very usable for me.

Hopefully Astrolux will get it right next time. Some tips for them:

• Forget trying to develop your own UI. Come to BLF and ask Toykeeper or one of the other UI gurus to design and program your UI for you. I’m sure someone would be happy to do it for free.
  • Before selling the item, ask for volunteers on BLF and send them prototypes for testing.

As-is, I consider the S42 a failure. However, pretty much everything wrong with the S42 could have been caught and fixed if they’d just done the above steps and then modified their design based on the input they received.

That’s only if they actually have a QC guy. Personally I doubt it and think it is unlikely…… unless he is on them mariwawner pills

Purple efest 18350 and Nitecore 18350 dont work.
S41 18350 tube does not work.

S41 18650 tube works.

Click to turn on, click to next level, click to next level, press and hold to turn off.
I can live with that.

Hold switch for 2 secs to lockout 2 to unlock.

I like the green led in the switch, fades on and off…cool

this is terrible, i have ordered loads of lights from 99p sk68 to high end eagtac’s there is no excuse for this trash, refunds all the way

let us not forget D. without customers having to pay anything more (including shipping)

How do I make sure I’m included in this? I emailed them citing this thread and was just told ‘if there’s a problem with the light let us know’