ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

I got my first two serious (at least to me and compared to my former knives) knives a couple days ago, Mora Companion Black and Mora Bushcraft Black. I love them. Man I just can’t afford getting addicted to knives the way I am addicted to flashlights. But now I have this 3.2mm carbon steel blade and that 2.5mm stainless and can’t help thinking about how sharp a Mora 2mm carbon steel blade would be…

A question to try to understand which will be my next knife :bigsmile:
Well, after SpyderGanzo G732 wich I’m really happy, I would like to try the SpigerGanzo G730, the Military Clone.

Well, looking at Gearbest, they sell this: Ganzo G730 OR linear lock for a very good price. Now the question: don’t you think that knife is different from this: Spyderco C36 Aliexpress

The shape of the blade are not the same. From which I understood, Ganzo “take” the blade from Spyderco C81 (and not C86).
So it seems that Ganzo G730 is the copy of Spyderco C81 (+ or -) and not Spyderco C86.

I’m wrong?
Is there anyone here can compare Ganzo G730 (or G729) with a Spyderco C86?

Thank you very much!

Your link to the AE site shows a copy of the C36 Military, not the C86. The C86 would be the much smaller Spyderco Spin.
I would say the Ganzo G730 blade looks closer to the C36 Military blade than the C81 Paramilitary.

I’m sorry, now it’s correct, thank you.

Do you think so?
Don’t you think that Ganzo G730 blade looks better to the shape of C81 Paramilitary 2?
Now I have no time, but this afternoon will try to compare photo by photo of the models. For me the blades are different.

I specify that the best for me is the C36 blade, so if you are right, I’ll put the trigger now! :bigsmile:

To me, the C81 Paramilitary seems to have a longer, slimmer tip than the Ganzo but it is a close call from photos alone…

Check thread GANZO KNIVES, 6&7-SERIES

A shot for comparison

blades are very similar in shape

Thank you very much NuggetMcNugget.

That’s right, Ganzo G729/730 are + or - the exact copy of Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

At this point, if I want some very close to the original Spyderco C36, must buy a copy from Aliexpress, and not a Ganzo… :frowning:

Or maybe have to wait if Ganzo will produce some new models :wink:

Thank you for the knife sharpening ideas.

The sandpaper/mousepad idea looks interesting.

I must to admit i like very much enlans knives. I see some new very attrative models but only in russian shops and so. Examples: ENLAN EW 39 (remember me to ganzo g711) ENLAN EW030-2 (remember a bit to the ganzo g720/g722), ENLAN EW033… why those enlans aren’t in normal chinese chops?. And of course a lot of new enlans EL series, the same case.

Just got a Ken Onion Worksharp for Christmas .
I can now sharpen everything I’ve got quickly and easily . I really like the convex edge it makes .

I’m really close to getting one of these over the Wicked Edge, how easy is it to keep the correct angle of degree when sharpening? And do you like the results? Tell me about it if you can…

@ jhalb :

I have researched sharpening quite a bit , and I believe that a convex edge is superior to the usual beveled edge because there is more metal behind the edge and the smooth profile of the edge slices better .

The Worksharp produces a nice convex edge . It’s basically a sanding belt with angle guides . With the use of a superfine grit belt it’s a simple matter to get a mirrored edge .

This sharpener requires some dexterity . Sharpening small blades is a little tricky , you have to ‘freehand’ more than usual .

I read and re-read the manuals and practiced a lot on my wife’s dull old kitchen knives .

I warned her that her knives are now all super sharp , but she did not heed my warnings enough .

She tried cutting up a cucumber against her thumb like she always does and gave herself a nice little slice .

She then informed me that I should have left her knives alone . Now she uses a cutting board .

The main thing you have to learn is how NOT to round off the point of the blade . The manuals have very clear and explicit instructions about this , and there are plenty of YouTube videos about it as well .

I have used this tool to sharpen all of my knives , a machete , a hatchet and my lawnmower blades . My blades seem to have more edge retention that they did before . Once you have re-profiled the edge , a touch-up takes mere seconds .

I have never been satisfied with the results of my sharpening efforts until now .

[quote=bdpf79]

Yeah that is unfortunate the black PM2 with stonewashed blade & Anso pattern handle is no longer available, it is so nice I thought about eventually getting a second one. Maybe it will come back again someday though. The G10 one with the black blade looks ok, and the knives I got from this seller were a slightly better than others I bought from a different seller.

You really have to be careful with the PM2’s now on Ali because many of the ones listed now are a liner lock version that is not an exact PM2 clone.

-

Here’s an interesting one I found today that I may also try, a “Jot Singh Khalsa ~ C40G” anyone have any experience with it?

Nice research, thank you for all that. Sounds like a nice machine to have for larger blades as you've made mention of. I just really dig the 20 - 25 degree bevel on my edges. I'll have to try the convex again at some point.

Up until now, I’ve been using those tungsten-doohickey contraptions that all the knife enthusiasts abhor. :[

So I’m taking “baby steps” in upgrading my knives and knife sharpening skills.

I’ve settled on this sharpening stone kit for the time being (purchased for $7.20 thru Amazon Warehouse). Hopefully, with a little practice, it will get my knives as sharp as I’m looking for.

Well, actually, with the right skill for which I’m quite sure you will acquire relatively quickly with a little practice, you just can’t get a better edge than using a stone. Unless of course you continue on further with a strop. But yea, from what little I know, looks like you know what your doing.

I like the fact that sharpening is a skill one can learn and get better at practicing.
I ordered a stone and a leather strap.
have some really old and dull knifes to start with and it seems like a very zen activity

SHARPENING
You can go budget too

Wow! this is very easy, very small & budget too!!

I have the KO worksharp too. I love it. Quick n’ easy to get a perfect convexed edge with a mirror polish. I highly recommend this contraption too.