ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

I ordered 3 of these, 2 for Christmas gifts. Really good looking knife, looking forward to getting mine in the mail tomorrow.

Must be a UK thing, here in the USA we call those with alot of knives friends

KKW wrote:

I ordered 3 of these, 2 for Christmas gifts. Really good looking knife, looking forward to getting mine in the mail tomorrow.

Buddy,

Would really like to hear your candid thoughts on the knife after you've had time with it. I really value your expertise and knowledge. Having your thoughts and a copy of the same knife in hand would be a really great reference point for me.

Don’t worry, I’ll post up my thoughts after I play with it for a bit. I’m usually pleasantly surprised by the build quality of most of these budget Chinese knives, it’s the design flaws you see once they’re in your hand that usually disappoint me. The most common examples of poor design are sharp texturing of the handle scales and clips that don’t have enough clearance to actually clip to anything but paper. Both make a pocket knife worthless in my opinion.

I like the looks of this knife enough that I may disassemble it as part of the testing. I’m hoping not to find any fatal design flaws when I “lift the hood” so to speak.

It does look great. The only thing stopping me is the lack of a cut out to release the liner lock. It’s one of those things that really annoy me. I haven’t completely ruled it out yet though.

^

That is definitely the case. Not only does the release not stand proud, it is also quite stiff. I have to use 2 hands to release it. I'm not sure if I like that or not. I don't like feeling the release when using a knife. So I have mixed feelings in that regard.

Lockup feels very strong and secure. Not sure if the lockup arm is wide enough for strength though. It appears to be thick, but not very wide. If KKW opens his, it will be interesting to see how narrow it is.

ordered the snakehead hope to arrive soon.

Couldn’t resist either, ordered one. The scales are G10 which can be filed down nicely if you take your time, to the shape you want. I reckon a little off the inside there would do the trick for accessing the liner lock more comfortably.

I had a similar problem with the small cutout on my heiho so i enlarged it on one side, now it’s much easier to use the thumbstud.

Looks better!

I haven’t taken apart mine because it has a flawless & smooth action out of the box.
So here’s one of the seller’s pics:

There is a video about it on page 22 of this thread too. It seems great, if not for the lock cut out.

My mate 8steve88 has one of these Rubicon clones - cost him about £12 or so. What a smashing little knife, very smooth action, solid build quality. I didn’t notice that the lock was difficult to disengage at all so maybe it just looks a little deceiving?

I just opened up my package. Its very light and looks really good. Blade is off center though like my Ganzo G727 (centered after tightening the pivot). It came with a card tool as a bonus, I guess (Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com). Shipping was really fast. 113 grams on cheap kitchen scale.

The knife I got is rock solid, and no issue what so ever. The only issue would be use with gloves on, then and only then, the lock is an issue.

Pivot area of the blade looks like it’s the weak link from the picture. I’ve got mine, pulled two out and looked at them briefly. I’ll post my thoughts later.

My CF hati is the same but without the bear logo and the cutout in the back for the flipper. Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

The locking ball fall twice after around 30 flipping actions. I think its because the hole is not deep enough for the ball. Buts its an excellent knife ! Now my other flippers knifes are too cheap to use and I may sold them. Balls-bearing flipper are really something else. Totally another league.

Two chinese knives, so similar, clone or the same factory

Brand 7 Stedemon
Model DSG 2015 DSG 2015
Price $75 $144
Seller

Definitely not the same blade…

There is also a tanto blade version

1. You place the order, and do not pay
  2. Negotiate with seller (pref using chat, or ali messaging)
  3. Seller adjust price on your order
  4. You pay

Seems easy and it is (when you know)

Lots of “buying at AliExpress” information in ipcamtalk’s forum thread AliExpress - Who are people using?