ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

I don’t think anyone here will be able to confirm if it’s 100% D2.
Either you believe the manufacturer or you don’t.

As for the CH brand, I have the CH3504 and it is an amazing knife for the money.
Extremely well built, extensive milling work on the scales, awesome anodizing (it even varies in color depending on the lightning, mine goes from purlple to blue to aqua blue), great flipping action, very smooth, nice stonewash S35VN blade (if you believe the manufacturer)
Mine however came with a couple of QC problems. one scale screw was missing and there is a small machining mark on the lock side. DHG seller shipped me the replacement screw and offered 10% discount for the mark.
It looks like mine was a one off as I haven’t found a single other review where someone had QC problems.
In the end, I will not hesitate in buying from this brand again.

Another not well known Chinese brand that I would recommend is MG. I just got the MG Tyrant and I’m truly impressed with it.

Just picked up the Sanrenmu 7056 stone washed off Amazon. $14, and delivered in two days. Really impressed with this knife. Everything great right out of the box.

That 7056 is a great little knife. Kershaw Cryo pretender that is almost better, in some ways, than it’s inspiration.

Finally received my grey F758 today from DHgate.

I got one of those on its way from Fasttech. How do you like it?

I like it. It’s a little slower than expected but not a big deal, I’m going to take it apart, clean and grease it- I’ll see if that helps. I do have a few extra springs laying around somewhere ,might have to see if one fits.
This thing is a bit slippery to hold on to. I’ve already dropped it twice just playing with it for 5 minutes.
Love the brass thumb stud on your new acquisition!!

Alright thanks. Maybe birdshot Iv will make another edge retention test on some of these d2 blades. Not a big steel snob myself cause I enjoy sharpening blades but would like something harder than vg10 which is the most premium steel I own.

Nothing wrong with VG10.

See MCUSTA knives.

Those mcusta knives are sweet looking. And I like vg10. But I’m not amazed by it and I’m such a cheap a$$ I feel like I should be for the 65 bucks my delica cost me. If I can get the same edge retention or dare I say better for the 13 bucks I spent on this jin02 now I’m in love. Delica sits on the shelf quite a bit only because of its cost. It’s my out on the town edc lol.

I am sure that the d2 has the specification of the d2 steel, another thing is the heat treatment that it can do than the edge retention was worst that another d2 or good as every d2 you know.

AlMar knives are made of AUS 8, cost like the Mcustas and are considered as higher end products.

You can get the finest super steel with a good heat treatment, if it has a 4-6mm blade with a thick edge behind the cutting bevel then it will never be a good slicer. If it’s ground out thin then even a “cheap” steel can perform well with little sharpening.

Blade geometry is at least same important as the steel.

This person suggests that the Jin02 may be D2 but with non-ideal heat treatment as xatu suggested. The Y-Start JN02 - a budget D2 folder? too good to be true? - YouTube

Anyone know of a US source for these knives?
Thanks.

Nice video looks promising.

I guess I should’ve bought the JIN02 instead of the Ganzo G7533CF which dulls really quickly…

Interesting.
Maybe I don’t use my knives as much as I should LOL! I never found any of my 440C from Ganzo to hold an edge poorly, I find them quite good actually (including the 753) however, due to my lifestyle, I only use them for light cutting tasks, that might be the difference…

yeah I have used the G727 a lot, now the G735 and thy stay sharp really long (and when i say use it really is using. I do a little honing and swipethem over a strap at the end ot the day.
I gifted two G727s and they get used a lot too (1 for EDC and 1 during weekly fishing, I gave them a strap as well and every time i see the owners the good quality nd usefulness of he knifes comes up.

Yeah the G727 is still one of my favorite Ganzos as well, not the best looking one but darn these handles are comfortable. I hope Ganzo releases a CF version of it soon as they have been doing with some of their older models like the 729 and 704.

I was satisfied with my Ganzo’s 440C before, maybe I just got a bad example or got used to my Malyshev Gnome’s thined D2 blade and my Caly3’s ZDP189 one too much :wink:

But even for home use it dulls pretty quickly, I prefer my Camillus VG10 blade then.

But I still like the look and feel of my G-7533-CF(on G10) :wink:

Yeah I remember seeing that picture, really nice job on that chamfering.
I have the Gnome as well and it is a truly good EDC, the knife as a whole is really small, yet the blade is long and wide enough for most tasks and the grip is excellent, especially in the choke up position.
The only problem that I have with it is that the lockup on mine is extremely early so if I don’t flip it with enough authority, then if I wack the spine, the blade pops out of the locking position.
I could manually sand the lock face a bit but since there’s no steel insert, I’m hoping that it will just wear out a bit in time.

Yes, I guess I’d sand it but then again my copy doesn’t look that much like when I got it anymore (yould could call it messed up :P) .

Soon I have to sand the flipper a bit, it hurts my hand when i use it in short grip and it’s just too big.
Honestly a knife of this size would be easier to open with a thumb stud or hole but then that could get in the way of the things to cut or collect dirt.
A front flipper would be cool though.

I’ve intentionally sanded the surface with a used belt and got molten spots that are harder than Ti, somewhere I was reading it’s some kind of crystals, maybe titaniumoxide, but I forgot the details. Then I blowtorched it to get a dark surface, the torch was a bit too weak and I was too scared to use a welding aparatus that I’m not familiar with so I got a spotty surface. Tried to stonewash it with my usual pebbles, didn’t do anything, the surface seems to be quite hard. I heated the inside, too, in the hope to get a better suface for the ball bearings and the lock face. The blade is around .4mm thick behind the cutting edge, call it a slicer. Etching for tumbling shows 2 dark spots where the steel got too hard from sanding, lesson learned (on an inappropriate beltsander).

Maybe on your knife it would help to get a stronger detent. I did that on the Vespa Neon. I’ve clamped a piece of metal at the lock face to push the lockbar a bit more inside and heated up the relief area. Now it has the perfect tension (and some discoloration :P)

I tend do uglify my knives as I never seem to have a piece of practice before the one to do it the right way :sunglasses: