Aluminum, SS, Copper, Titanium... how about a silver AAA light?

OR, stack old silver dimes (usually worn beyond recognition anyway) with silver solder between em, re-flow em into a one piece rod with a torch, bore it, machine it, make the light then polish it out. Pure silver, however you look at it. Sapphire switch? Clear sapphire lens double AR coated?

That would certainly be a beautiful and unique piece of art!

Unless I completely misunderstood the pricing on those pages you’re using the estimated number of ounces per foot as the price. I believe the actual estimated prices per foot is to the right of that value… and is much higher.

As per the page linked to above…

Please choose your quantity below:
each

Est. each: 12.83Est. Price per ounce: $21.09Est. Price: $270.58

So, being pre-cut in 12” lengths and weighing in at 12.83 ounces per foot (estimated) and sold at $21.09 per ounce (estimated) the 12” bar being 1/2” in diameter will cost you $270.58. The light being in the neighborhood of 3.5” long, the silver will cost, for that light, about $78.92 plus components and machine time. Budget?

Had to go find a link for this host from a few years ago.
Custom made 10440 Sterling Silver host. Made by lost wax casting and intended as a laser host. Even has a small sapphire mounted in it.

Phooey! :person_facepalming:

Sorry guys. :frowning:

It would put the cost of a solid silver light around $100? I’m sure if you had to buy it from a high-end jeweler, they’d price it at $500 or more.

I don’t think there’d be enough interest for a group-buy, but you never know. It would certainly be a unique light.

The silver tubes would still be ‘budget’:

Dimensions: 12” long (cannot be cut to order)
Outside dimension: 12.70mm (.500”)
Inside dimension: 11.89mm (.468”)
Wall thickness: 0.41mm (.016”)

Est price: $47
… and that would be for two or three lights depending on length.

Sterling Silver Lumintop Worm with Nichia 219 and Rey driver would be so nice, and not difficult to clean. Could somebody estimate the pricing for such a configuration?

so 0.4mm wall thickness, in a quite soft metal

Yeah, you still have to figure out what to make the tailcap and bezel with. If the silver rod was used to make just those ends, and the tube for making the… uhh… tubes, then that might be doable. Or maybe someone could find a cheaper material for the tailcap and bezel that would still look good with the silver tube.

Well, on that website, it is listed as “hard”. I don’t know anything about it.

What about gold plated stainless flashlight, like Lumintop Worm? The additional cost should not be high.

It would be a nice thing, but the point of a silver flashlight apart from the bling is that silver has great thermal conductivity, making it interesting from a construction point of view too.

Gold plating on stainless steel can significantly reduce contact resistance.

Yeah i noticed that… but the math seems to be wrong. OD-ID: 12.70mm - 11.89 = .81mm, not .4mm. Still thin but twice as much.

I’d like some gold plated light… if the plating is good enough not to wear out after a few month in a hand bag. I’ve used quite a few chinese pen kits with gold plating and they are very cheap.

Yes, but it would be nice if the tube has a wall on both sides :wink:

lol, “viewing window” :wink:

I find it strange that no manufacturer or craftsman has already produced a small silver flashlight. But I have no doubt that the price would be high. So I think that BLF is the right place to try to give life to this idea. I think I would ask for at least a couple of copies.

We made a SS and 10k Gold light last month. Added Lapis as an inlay around the head and tailcap. We cast the pieces and then machined them to size…. Saving all the swarf we could. The SS sinks the net well but didn’t dissipate it as well as I hoped.
The customer loved the light though. Not exactly easy or budget but doable. TL