Am I the only person that hates this

I don’t care if they feel different, but if they feel similar (e.g. rubber USB port flap cover, and rubber switch boot) then it’s annnoying.

Agreed that all switches should have aux.

What exactly do you want that it doesn’t do? Are you referring to RGB, single colour (which are handled differently internally), or both?

1 Thank

I think I’m going to put some Gorilla tape on top of the charging port of my Convoy M21F.
Gorilla tape is really nice duct tape that doesn’t usually make a huge mess like regular duct tape does.
Gorilla tape is kinda pricey, but I love it compared to regular duct tape. :money_mouth_face: :heart_eyes:

How is that going to help you.

I’ll be able to distinguish one side of the flashlight compared to the other by touch alone (without looking).

My preferred behavior would be

1. Being able to disable switch light completely. A while back I got a Hank with the wrong switch color, and would probably just disable now if I could. This is the older press-fit retaining ring so its hard to replace the rubber boot.
  2. If there is a switch light, being able to have it dim when light is off (to find it on a night stand), and off when light is on
  3. If there is a switch light, it can communicate voltage or something for the first second or so the light turns on, but then it should turn off (and this should never be brighter than the main, so not brighter than moon if switching to moon).

At least with my Anduril builds, the switch light is a function of the AUX and main brightness. If you turn AUX off, that solves the switch light problem when the light is off. But when the light comes on, then the switch light comes back on and there is no way to override this, unless you do your own builds.

EDIT: Another nice example of switch light behavior is the Manker E14 IV. It does the momentary voltage thing when you turn the light on. But when you go into a programming mode, it begins to blink red. I think this is a nice use of another information channel to indicate you are in a mode, providing feedback.

Rejoice! At least with Anduril rev. >=720 on a Wurkkos FC13, I can personally attest&certify all the above indeed does work! :tada:

EDIT: just checked and you are right about the following:

But when the light comes on, then the switch light comes back on and there is no way to override this, unless you do your own builds

Indeed, in ramp mode, 7C (which is the sequence to change the Aux LED pattern for both off and lock-out modes) is not implemented: pressing it does exactly nothing.

But in my thinking, there’s no missing features in Anduril, there are only implementation opportunities! :grin:

Seriously, if you really want that, please post a comment to that effect (referring this one of mine) in the Anduril 2 feature change suggestions and I’m sure someone will jump in and implement it for you, perhaps even Yours Truly :slight_smile:

I use non-slip tape (e.g. skateboard tape) and put it next to the charging port so that I can tell which side the switch is on. Being rough it’s easily felt. It’s also good for handgun grips to make them less slippery :slight_smile:

1 Thank

I don’t have any skate tape, but that sounds like a better/more elegant solution. :+1:

For an EDC, I just don’t want anything but a rear clicky. When I’m trying to start a piece of heavy equipment in sub-zero temps with thick gloves on, it’s the only thing that works

2 Thanks

I agree, its proven technology.

1 Thank

It’s part of the reason I strongly prefer tail switches. You find them fast 100% of the time. I also use a reverse grip a lot, so my thumb is naturally on the tail to start with.

2 Thanks

Once you get used to it, it’s not an issue really, but starting out with a new light is annoying.

+1 on lighted switches. I really like Wubens ‘breathing’ switch led option. And I really like the adjustible brightness from Anduril.

How does it differ to Anduril’s “blinking” mode?

Gluing a ring or washer around the switch directs your finger to it. All my side switch lights have it.

Lots of lights have a “breathing” mode. It’s a triangle wave on the PWM for a switch LED. It looks nice… but it requires keeping the MCU awake to generate a PWM signal, and the LED tends to use a few milliamps, so it uses more power than just leaving the main LEDs in moon mode.

So I haven’t put a breathing mode into Anduril. It’s generally perceived as a safe mode to leave a light in while unused, but it drains the battery pretty fast. I’ve had a couple lights with breathing mode, and it took about 10 to 20 days to empty the battery.

Anduril’s blinking aux mode, however, runs for about a year per charge. It doesn’t look as nice, but it’s much more practical.

1 Thank

It’d be ideal if you could tell where the switch it as soon as you grab the flashlight. Something just in the design that points to it. Idk what but something

Yes for example Emisar has the raised ring around the switch.

I wish more manufacturers would adopt hidden charging port in threads. I’m not one of those guys who hates USB ports as if they murdered a family member (unlike some users on here), but the ‘hidden’ charging ports are really nice.

2 Thanks

I hate “breathing” mode for just being creepy, and have refused to buy lights (mainly Wubens) because they had it and it couldn’t be disabled.

Not a fan of andy’s “blinking” mode because it’s kind of spazzy, but it’s a good annoying way to tell if a light’s in lockout mode, like, “Hey, do not forget to unlock me when you’re done doing God-knows-whatever.”. I have off set to “low” and lockout to “blinking”.

What I’d really want is a “beacon” mode like my MH20 has. Switch-light just blips on every 2sec or so. Gets attention in the dark and should use almost nothing in LED/µC power.

One thing I keep forgetting to mention to you, I had a good idea about this one.

On my lights, I have some configurable settings (that I would reduce and simplify for a main branch patch, of course :rofl: ) so that when I lock it, I can have the aux stay on high for a configurable length of time, then drop to low. I like having bright aux in my pockets and bags even when a light needs to be locked, it makes it more likely to be easier to find when I need it, possibly in a hurry, but don’t want them on high all night by my bedside or the battery drain of high aux over a week.

Obviously, the breathing needs enough PWM outputs available anyway, but if it did then that might be doable similarly as a solution to the battery consumption. After a certain amount of time (obviously, I’d make it configurable :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , but even hardcoded still helps), it drops to another aux pattern.

1 Thank