Amazon Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

Looks nice but is it UL listed?

The outside looks awesome but the inside can be a very poor sub standard electrical design.

1 Thank

Good question.
Some people said it is UL Listed, while others said no, but it’s ETL.

However, I decided to look a little further, and one guy opened his unit up… and said that this isn’t a surge protector. And since you only know if it works if you experience a surge spike, triggering the cut-off switch… probably most people don’t even know it.

This was from 2022:

I opened this item up and it is so poorly constructed it is dangerous.
The Instead of a bus bar type construction, the outlets are connected with what looks like 16 or smaller gauge wires that are hand soldered. The soldering is of poor quality with large blobs of solder covering multiple contact points on the USB board.
To be clear, no UL certified surge protector would ever be made this way.
This thing is a fire hazard and I returned it because of the product quality.

I also read through some of the negative reviews… that were well written by customers from 2022, 2023, and even 2024. Some reported the USB bank stopped working. Others noted flimsy construction.

That’s it. I’m going to pull my suggestion. Thanks, Zoulas.

Can’t comment on the user reviews, but wanted to mention that ETL listed is, for all technical intents and purposes, the same as UL listed. UL develops the standard AND tests to it, ETL just does testing to UL’s standards. Both are nationally recognized testing labs. However, as observed here, more folks know the UL name so it gets questioned by customers less often.

1 Thank

Sofirn LT1S lantern in red is back at $32 ($1 more for green) if you missed it last time ($22 coupon + 10% coupon)
https://a.co/d/6mXWmYp

2 Thanks

Send one to The Big Clive. I love those video titles like “Low Cost Chinese House-Igniter”. :skull::skull::skull:

4 Thanks

I was going to wait on the LT1S Pro to go on sale, but… just read a couple of reviews that ding it pretty badly. Noticeable visible PWM is a deal breaker for me. The LT1S doesn’t appear to have visible PWM.

I have not had any PWM issues with mine. I keep it on my nightstand and use moonlight mode if I have to get up in the middle of the night. Dim enough to not wake up the wife, bright enough so I don’t trip over the cats!

1 Thank

I agree and I don’t hear the noise that people report unless pressing my ear to the top of the light…
But some people are more sensitive to PWM and some have better ears than me. Just saying that it may not be the problem for any given person that it is for the few reporting on it.

1 Thank

I should clarify that I was referring to my LT1S, I don’t have an LT1S Pro so can’t comment on it.

Same experience with the Pro here

I’m not susceptible to the frequencies of the whining noise, but my kids confirm it’s there & I can hear it when I hold it up to my ear.

My eyes must be similarly insensitive to PWM because I don’t notice that either…

Speaking for the LT1S Pro. Also, TK had done some work in recent A2 releases for the Pro to improve some of these issues.

I do recommend it, as it’s nice having the A2 functions in such a small lantern, but there’s a lot to be said for the “simpler” version…

1 Thank

REOLINK Security Camera Outdoor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKC9BJ8

I’m not sure what the price is after the discount because this security camera is already discounted.
I like Reolink security cameras like this one because they work with Blue Iris security camera software.
(Not every Reolink security camera works with Blue Iris, though.)
I have two different Reolink security cameras, and they offer a lot of bang for the buck if you want to use Blue Iris. :+1:

I love when products show comparison photos that try to make 1080p look terrible.

Also an FYI for anyone interested, this model is power over ethernet only so you will need a PoE switch.

1 Thank

Good catch!
Don’t order that specific security camera if you want to use Wi-Fi. :man_facepalming:

Lumintop Tool AA is ~$17. No battery. Use 5% discount on page.

The GRANITESTONE Stainless Steel Nonstick 12” Frying Pan is down to $25

Think I grabbed the last one, tnx!

Really liking the 10. Tried my old “nonstick” pan, and even melted butter was sticking to it, so that’s getting trashed.

With the granny, I was for the first time in ages able to actually fry slices of deli ham (individually) to “toast” 'em, and not have to sandblast the pan before frying eggs to plop on top.

SS or cast-iron, any meat-fat from ham, bacon, sausage, anything, would cause eggs to stick to the pan no matter what. Nekkid, butter, or oil. Start cool, or get it scorching hot. Didn’t matter what I’d try, no difference.

With the granny, I was able to just lay down a slice, toast, flip, toast, lay on plate. Repeat for the other slices. Any “fat” that would bubble off would bounce around the pan 'til the water would boil off and leave just a brownish speck (flyshiite). Damp paper towel to wipe off the flyshiite, little bit of butter, eggs just drop in and I can shake 'em around like a gigantic egg-pancake. Cut 'em through with a silicone spatula, flipped each piece, then just layered 'em on the ham.

Breakfast fit for a King! (“Here, King! Here, King!” :dog:)

So yeah, count me in as a believer!

Crank-Powered Clip-On Flashlight & Smartphone Charger ~$5 …eh, it’s a cup of coffee.

Nothing new…
I’ve discovered that these are the highest current capable 18650s I’ve ever bought. Even better than 30Qs individually purchased brand new. Like one commentor said, the matched cells have a super low IR.
What are the tiers of battery manufacturing quality called? 1st quality, 1st level, ?

ROMOSS 40000mAh Portable Charger, 18W PD External Power Bank, USB C Fast Charging, Battery Pack LED Display with 3 Outputs & 2 Inputs, Compatible with iPhone 15/14/13, iPad, Galaxy, Android and More
ROMOSS 40000mAh Portable Charger, 18W PD External Power Bank, USB C Fast Charging, Battery Pack LED Display with 3 Outputs & 2 Inputs, Compatible with iPhone 15/14/13, iPad, Galaxy, Android and More Amazon.com

3 Thanks

Snagged one … good deal … $25.85

Thanks for the heads-up … :beers: