Amazon Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

To whatever I needed it transferred to… or if I replace the board down the road. Just flexibility.
Why do you ask? Are you buying one?

No, I am not buying one but this sounds like the standard W11 license agreement. Are you buying one? Why do you ask?

It is only not transferable in terms of the machine. Windows OEM license (if it is an OEM license) lives and dies with the machine. You cannot move the license to another device. However, if you sell the machine to another person, the ownership transfers to the other person as long as the license is still on the machine. Given that said, one of the reviews I read said it was asking for an email address or username of some university in Germany. That may be an indication that the computer was installed with volume licensing. In this case, volume license belongs to the license holder. That will deem using the license on a sold hardware invalid. There is actually a way to tell what is the licensing channel by looking at the Windows product key. OEM channel product key always have the OEM string within the key somewhere. Retail and Volume is more cryptic.

1 Thank

This is precisely the W11 license agreement I was talking about. Thank You.

can you take the ssd out and put it on another device? then bam, you have windows and upgraded pc?

If you move the drive to another computer, you will need to reactivate the Windows license. You will need the original activation key. Depending on what channel the license came from, it may or may not reactivate. You can, however, run Windows un-activated with some limitations and nagging.

1 Thank

If I bought one of these computers the 1st thing I would do would be to download the latest Win11 version from Microsoft and then reinstall the o/s. Who knows what’s in the current o/s, or even what’s missing, if it was originally a university’s computer.

If the computers indeed came off from a university, they likely have the education version of the license in the computer. Best way to look at this purchase is to treat this as if there is no OS installed and if you get anything working without paying extra money, that becomes gravy. If you are a 365 Premium, E3 or E5 licensed user, you may be able to utilize your Windows license in the subscription. Otherwise, put Linux on it. :grin:

1 Thank

Linux is not a sure bet on these micros. Some drivers may not be available.
I would take a snapshot of of the OS, wipe the drive, and re-install with a fresh copy. If it IS activated, it should activate again. I’d guess trying to move this OS to a different PC would be an exercise in frustration. Less hassle to operate UN-activated. You lose very little functionality .

1 Thank

And you will likely be limited to only distros that support secure boot since many of these mini PCs don’t let you turn it off.

Wait… what? You can’t shut them down, like, ever?

1 Thank

I hope not.
That sounds like a waste of electricity if you don’t need your computer on 24/7. :thinking:

I think he means [secure boot].
The UEFI/BIOS is heavily tweaked on these allowing minimal user changes (aka dell).

1 Thank

He meant turning off secure boot, not the hardware itself.

2 Thanks

They meant they don’t let you disable Restricted Boot (AKA “Secure” Boot), not that you can’t shut the system down. Meaning a linux distro has to have a signed bootloader to run on them, which some do but others don’t.

2 Thanks

I sort of doubt that too many people care, but for those that ordered the ridiculously low priced E-Bike, I got updated tracking info today:

2023-11-11 23:03 US, Parcel is leaving Airport, Parcel Leaving Port.

So if I read this correctly, a package, with something in it, is in the US now and is leaving the “port”.
Nothing about customs clearance. Of course I don’t have any idea what is in the package, but something is moving through the system.

4 Thanks

Just for s&g, I checked and mine’s still at “carrier has picked up the package”.

Curious what’ll be in the box if/when you’ll get it. :joy:

Pentax Papilio II Binoculars 6.5x21 for $85 or the 8.5x21 for $95. This is about as low as I’ve seen them. This is a product I would highly recommend. They have a close focus of about 2 feet!

3 Thanks

The ACEBEAM H16 is on sale at the moment.
Limited-time deal: ACEBEAM H16 650 High Lumens Rechargeable Led Headlamp, EDC AA Right Angle Flashlight, Pocket Mini Small Flashlight with Clip, 519A 90+ High CRI Led Head Lamp with Headband kit(Neutral White 5000K) Amazon.com

1 Thank

is this a practical binocular and price range? I have an older $60~$80 one that’s gigantic, but very well recommended from astronomy forums. Its a bit too big to lug around, so i don’t use it much, and it can’t see anything super close for sure. But I can look at the moon and distant objects fairly well. What do you use it for? Any other tips on how to shop for one?