Amazon Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

Another is “Your order Has been delayed”. I get all kinds of scams in my inbox. Usually if I hover the mouse it will be some easy to recognize as spam address but this one looked so real I clicked on it first before verifying the senders address.

Tempted, for use as an emergency-type radio, and since it takes 18650s.

Has anyone bought and received one of these?

Usually circumspect about Amazon reviews, but even more so when there are no reviews at all.

(The lady ticking features off the box in her video doesn’t count)

Mine should arrive tomorrow. But my entire state is essentially without power so if be surprised if its delivered, but I’ll update with a quick once over if it does

1 Thank

8 D cells, Li with buckboard to reduce to 1.5V.

Vipon says 25.79, but mine rang up as 23.64 or something before tax.

Might be good for an old-timey D-Maglite. I got a cat-toy that takes D cells, so will try 'em in that, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5X4QLD3/

code 40TIM8IH

Go crazy…

Picture shows a BL-5C battery and the description states that it’s either 18650 or BL-5C. Anyone gotten theirs yet and can confirm? If it’s an 18650, is it easily removable or is it soldered in?

The battery is a 1200 mah 18650 and it isn’t soldered, there is also the plug and space for a BL-5C battery, it also runs just on just the usb plug if the battery is removed, the battery comes outside of the radio.

1 Thank

Clearance

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness, 5 Pack, Blue $30.99

at Woot! An Amazon Company

I’d be very interested in the actual capacity and amp limit. Lots of reviews unhappy with them.
Wonder what’s actually inside? I seriously doubt they even remotely close to 7500mAh.

It says 7500mWh on the battery.

So, if this is at 1.5 volts… it is 5000mAh.
And who knows if that 7500mWh is before or after buck converter, so you may also lose the conversion efficiency, which might be significant at higher current draws.

FB

mWH, not mAH.

Figure I’ll take one for the team…

1 Thank

Yeah lots of reviews similar to this
“They are not capable of putting out enough power to keep my flash light on”.
They look interesting, but too many reviews say that they are flaky in different ways. Decenet price compared to good “D” NiMh cells (really good ones harder to find recently), but I think I will pass.

Please let us know what you find. Though by then they will be back to full price…which makes it even more iffy…

Yeh, no different from the AA versions of those cells. Hi-po lights try sucking more juice than the cells can provide, and they shut down.

I’d be using the LED drop-in Magbulb anyway, so I’m not too concerned.

Cat toy? Just runs a motor that pokes a “mouse” out of random holes, so that shouldn’t draw too much. Ain’t about to pay 10bux for a pair of alkaleaks every time.

My main use would be a couple of “D” MAGs too. But they were sort of hot rodded for their time. ~1600 lumens LED.
Also for D cell radios. I am sure they would be fine, just potentially much less runtime than Alkaleeks… or the (supposedly) 10K mAh NiMh cells that I use now.

Also I wonder about the self discharge rate… If it is like the AAs, much higher than LSD NiMh. I would hate to go to use my radios and have them dead… Not as big an issue for a cat toy though… :smiling_imp:

Where were these things when I was growing up.
Everything back then was D powered.

Here is the same radio but more $ but it has some reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/SEMIER-Portable-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Shortwave/dp/B0C9F1DQGZ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=SL6B2CRANL4U&keywords=Portable+AM+FM+Shortave+Radio+with+Bluetooth+Receiver%2C+Rechargeable+LCD+Digital+Tunning&qid=1703020477&s=electronics&sprefix=portable+am+fm+shortave+radio+with+bluetooth+receiver%2C+rechargeable+lcd+digital+tunning%2Celectronics%2C146&sr=1-4

1 Thank

Apparently the conversion circuit has a high probability of interfering with the radio reception.

1 Thank

Did not see that. The Amazon blurb says 7500mAh. That’s what I saw and stopped looking after that.
They could…maybe…get a 26650 size in there. More likely a 18650.

Yeah… I forgot, that was mentioned in the discussion about the AA version…

I make cheapo DC power supplies for that kind of stuff.
Use an old wall wart for power.
3 for $14

https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Voltage-Regulator-1-5-35V-Converter/dp/B07WQJ2GD6/ref=sr_1_3_pp?crid=BDL5MCNRIV97&keywords=dc+buck+converter&qid=1703020806&s=electronics&sprefix=dc+buck+converter%2Celectronics%2C122&sr=1-3

Or cheaper 10 for $16

https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Efficiency-Voltage-Regulator-Converter/dp/B076H3XHXP/ref=pd_bxgy_d_sccl_1/134-6918770-6033220?pd_rd_w=duWn4&content-id=amzn1.sym.839d7715-b862-4989-8f65-c6f9502d15f9&pf_rd_p=839d7715-b862-4989-8f65-c6f9502d15f9&pf_rd_r=ZKCYRCR8Y52P6YPDKGE6&pd_rd_wg=3JAIn&pd_rd_r=eff30f2f-11d1-4031-8d37-15c5cdc8a252&pd_rd_i=B076H3XHXP&th=1

Those are cool. I think I can use a couple. Thanks.