AMUTORCH E3S ---Guess its length, Win a Free E3S! (revealed)

I'll post beamshot videos of the Amutorch E3S compared with some 'similar' flashlight

(distance of flashlight to 'wall" around 18 meters or 60 feet)

1) Lumintop FW3A (3x SST20-4000k) [left side] vs Amutorch E3S (3x SST20-4000k) [right side]:

2) Sofirn IF25A (4x SST20-6500k) [left side] vs Amutorch E3S (3x SST20-6500k)

3) Lumintop FW3A (3x XPL-Hi 5000k) [left] vs Amutorch E3S (3x SST20-5000k) [right]

(for some reason, my FW3A XPL-Hi 5000k seems to be slightly less bright than other FW3A XPL-Hi...)

Received my E3S (bronze, 4000K) today (order #20072116591877). Cute little light and I really liked it for the approx. 3 minutes that it was working.

Within 3 minutes I was down from 3 LEDs to only 1 LED active.

Tried a few different batteries (their 20350 and two of my 18350s) and made sure the tailcap was tight, etc.

Looks like this one is DOA. I’ve written to Amutorch support. I hope they do the right thing and just send me another instead of offering silly partial rebates or asking me to ship it back to them.

-adept1

I was offered replacement parts, if I was willing to purchase another light to save them shipping fees… Which normally, I’d be ok with, but not after they reassured me that there’s no way I received a customers return, it had to be their work and theirs alone. So I’ll pass on the opportunity to own another amuturd

And Tom, my broken screw is actually a stud they use to hold the mcpcb in place, which I’d assume they all should have? The burned stuff on the emitters was just thermal paste,? And if I understand correctly, nothing is wrong with my driver, it’s just the updated version, that doesn’t ramp.

lol.

Pretty sure mine had no such stud - I think, now not so sure... I got about a dozen Amutorch lights of differing models and none came with any major issues, like those. Just ordered another E3S in purple - guess because I don't have a purple flashlight and it's my wife's favorite color.

Let me see, Amutorch inventory:

TC500, TC750, AL1, two X9's, two AX2's, two AX3's, AX4, E3, E3S, plus two JM70's sold under the Amutorch name. Might be missing 1 or 2. Amutorch is actually the same as the old Shadow brand.

The AX3, AX4, and TC750 seem to be gone now - short lived, but I really like them - unique dual LED's. I modded all of them, running Anduril now.

Here's a FT snapshot of some old Shadow models, same as some current Amutorch's: https://www.fasttech.com/search?shadow%20flashlight

My E3s came with a faulty driver. The light shuts down in every mode after three seconds. The only way to light it up continusly is to hold the button in ramping mode for seconds and then it goes.
I sent Armutorch my issues and after 9 days I received the new driver. It looks different to the old one. I hope the issue is gone with the swap. The next hours I’ll do the swap.

Robert

Is the difference in only components? Hope the layout with the 2 screw holes didn't change?

The BG thread just posted a good deal on the E3S's for $26: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/28144

So now I did the swap wirh the new driver. And guess what happens? The ramping has gone!!! Sorry, but this is a no go, I’d payed for a ramping light, nothing else. I hope Amutorch read this lines. It is a wonderful small light, hopefully it will be fine the next time.

Robert

Does it have a good low mode or even firefly in this new driver firmware? If so, I want one!

Sorry, no low or moonlight Mode. Armutorch has to do one more job.

Robert

Thanks!

Was about asking for a new one since my switch is not ok. But … No light for me that is at min brighter than what I usually use.

What were they thinking!

So far no reply from them about my defective light. I also noticed that the 20350 battery I received is still labeled as 1200 mah when they said it would be 1400. I don’t have the equipment to measure it to see what it really is, but that’s also a minor disappointment since the only reason I ordered the battery was for its slightly higher capacity over my existing 18350 stash.

After reading these posts I sure am glade I did not waste 40 more dollars ordering the E3S along with the XT45 I just ordered. Now I am worried about the XT45 I ordered, is the quality going to be just as bad? We live and we learn :frowning:

It shouldn’t be, the xt45 I received was perfect….and awesome. Looks like they’re just having problems with this one model, and are happy to lose customers over it.

I will admit I’ve been carrying the es3 everyday since it came in, but I’ll have more spent money and time to get it where it needs to be then I should have. The xpl’s I sliced and reflowed are much cooler, similar tint and output, now I need to find a lens to make up for the difference in gap a carclo optic leaves behind, find a driver and it’ll be what I was expecting.

And for anyone wondering, noctigon kr4 clip/ring fit perfectly, but I’m currently using a convoy deep carry clip.

Thank you, That make me feel a hole lot better. This is my first Amutorch flashlight order. :smiley:

To be honest, I think their QC is not very good. Out of the the 3 Amutorches I’ve owned, they’ve all had issues:

AT-40 with Quad Nichia: Stopped working properly (every mode dims within a few seconds of powering it on). But it’s out of warranty now and I feel bad about disposing it since it’s a beautiful host and I loved it in the beginning.

AT-40 with Dual XP-L: Functions great, but came with badly aligned clip. After living with it for several months and always being a bit annoyed about it, I bargained with Amutorch on Aliexpress to replace the tailcap bezel for $5. This is actually one of my favorite lights I own and I use it very regularly.

E3S: Worked for a few minutes when I received it, but now only one LED illuminates. I think it’s a really cute little light, so I hope to get a replacement that functions properly.

Maybe I’m just really unlucky!

“now only one LED illuminates”…. Its parallel triple , i wonder how its possible.;)))

Mandy from Amutorch contacted me just now (thanks Mandy) and asked me to remove the bezel from the head and check to see if the LED are burnt out.

They are not burnt. I determined that if there’s any pressure applied to the board, one or more LEDs will turn off. This is a problem because as soon as the bezel is re-installed, the LEDs don’t illuminate reliably. It doesn’t even take much pressure at all to make them fail.

I have prepared some videos to send to Mandy. Here they are:

-adept1

Bad reflow? If you can solder, you might be able to fix it.

No equipment to preform this. Anyway, I’m into repairing stuff myself when something is out of warranty, but when it’s brand new I expect the vendor to resolve it.

Sure. Amutorch will likely send you a replacement flashlight. But if I’m not mistaken, the driver UI has changed significantly. Keep your light until you’re ready to repair it :slight_smile: .