An advanced(?)-muggle LED bulb article, and CRI / color temp vs. TM-30

Very recent article. The author uses many words for dramatic effect when fewer would suffice for simple informational purposes. He shows a little very basic understanding of LED lighting, while the gist of the article is about the generally poor light quality & limited useful lifetime of consumer-grade LED bulbs.

The thing that stood out to me is the following entry:
[Royer] …has created an elaborate alternative to CRI called TM-30. In this scheme, bulbs are classified under three separate but interrelated categories: P, V, and F, for preference, vividness, and fidelity, each of which is further broken down into subcategories indicating performance level. Manufacturers and retailers have not agreed to this new scoring system.

My basic understanding of TM-30 is, it’s fairly precise while being fairly complex. Not for muggles, in other words.

The average consumer is confused by color temp and CRI to begin with.

Do consumer-grade LED’s really need TM-30 specs when simple CRI and color temp specs would suffice?

slmjim

1 Thank

TM-30, though complicated, seems more useful than CRI, given that CRI does only average R1-R8 and other important values such as R9 (red) are not accounted for.
It’s amazing how we still use CRI in 2023.
I hope that TM-30, or a simplified version, e.g. just fidelity, gets adopted.

Does anyone have a preferred LED based on TM-30?