An interesting quote from Old Lumens...what do you think?

because… why not? :slight_smile: its fun.

For me, 2 things that I really enjoy are electronics and machining. So modding flashlight brings the two together. I also enjoy wowing myself and other people with the lights I build.

The only problem is the next lights needs more lumens or more throw than the last.

I also start with pathetically dim lights so anything I do is a massive improvement.

I almost posted this in the other thread, but seeing this again I have to say that OL’s eye produces some really beautiful flashlights.

Soooo, my only response is is follow your eyes, Justin!

I loved that OL added some extra functionality to the 1D as he did, I was waiting for him to add a 3*AAA adapter (AAA to AA adapters already exist to work in the AA versions so he might not have seen the need for extra expense on his part)

Personally, I love a variety of different lights with different functionality and I especially love see individual lights improved by expanding their versatility. Another example of this I bought into was the E1320 UF2100s - great set of light modes from very high to moonlight.

I see no reason OL can’t pioneer a new path in other aspects, like run time, functionality, and other unique improvements where his eyes take us.

As for me, I lust for an OL visually improved ImA4Wheelr-style DST. And I have a similar lust for another L3 L10 nichia that has a more versatile UI with OL flames (truthfully, almost any light with those flames).

I only posted OL’s words because I thought the same thing when I first joined BLF. Watching you all slave over these things for hours for small amounts of ‘more light’ seemed odd to me.

Now I get it. :party:

I love the satisfaction of taking a $15 light, adding $10 in parts, and getting something better and more practical than many $80 or $120 lights. This means brightness in true dark areas, the modes I want, the quality I want, the feel/portability, etc. I also get a lot of satisfaction from building custom mods for people in real-use scenarios: night fishing/boating, security work, out on the tarmac, S&R, etc.

From pocket rockets, zoomies, to big throwers - just about every light can benefit from some custom tweaking, even for just tint and efficiency. I get enjoyment from the before/after measurements, so I've gotten the light meter early on to verify and help in tweaking.

Have you ever seen an Solarforce L2m Shorty? Made for a single 18350 cell and a P-60 drop-in, it’s diminutive and many consider extremely limited from the get go by it’s drop-in. 4” long right?

Just put together a Noction copper Triple with XP-G2 R5 2B emitters in direct drive off of an AW IMR18350 for a start-up of over 7A and ~2000 lumens. Not exactly a small amount of light. With 3 ounces of copper in the head, it feels solid, is very impressive and it was fun building it with hand tools, the O-L way. Copper sinked Triple Noctigon

I’m proud of it, and that’s why we do this is it not?

Super impressive, sir!

Whether it’s making stuff that doesn’t exist, or helping existing lights achieve their potential, you guys are amazing!!

It’s all Justin’s fault. :slight_smile:

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.

OMG! I really have to watch what I say around this place don't I? I never thought I would be quoted in a thread and put on display like that. It's rather disconcerting and actually it's somewhat upsetting. I never meant it to be the center of today's discussion group.

I do not carry lights around, that's true. I am not a flashaholic. I only look at a lot of lights and "my eyes", (for my eyes only ), tell me this. In the low increments, (from 1 to 100 lumens), I can see differences, like going from 10 lumens to 60 lumens. Well, OK, that's a 6x increase, so it should be noticeable. When I look at a 100 lumen light and a 300 lumen light, I can tell the difference. That's a 3x increase. But, when I get to that 1000 lumen point, then it becomes all muddled. 1000 lumens is "bright as hell" and if it is a floody light, (the only style as far as I am concerned), then going from 1000 lumens to 2000 lumens is not such a radical change. 1000 lumens already hurts my eyes and robs my night vision, so it's like, "wow it's bright" and "ow that hurts", so move on. It's great for just a minute and it becomes useless, as I can't see anything past the area of illumination any more. When I get to 3000 lumens or more, I just feel it's totally useless in everyday life. Not only do you blind everyone about you, but you blind yourself.

I feel that high powered lights are nothing more than useless toys for boys, but that's what we do don't we? We want the fastest car, or the biggest house, or the most powerful RC plane, etc, etc, etc. It's what we do, so calling it for what it is, should not be of concern. It's the truth and obviously, there's nothing wrong with that, in the male mentality, so why take offense of it?

The reason I add power to lights? Easy, in hopes of selling them easier. That's the reason plain and simple. When I make a low powered light, it does not go over well, but when I make a high powered light out of any light, it's WOW! So, I cater to demand to some extent, but I still resist it.

Lastly, the older I get, the more resistant to change I am. This is because I know change leads to aging and I don't like it, so as things change in my world, then I know I am changing and I grow to hate it. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just means it is the way it is.

Careful OL, you’re just giving us more “quotable quotes!” LOL!!

I sure didn’t mean to offend or upset you…you just said what I used to think, and to some degree, still do think. I could’ve quoted anyone, but you said it the best. Modding flashlights really has to be for the enjoyment of it, at the end of the day, or it wouldn’t be worthwhile would it?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!!

People here love to pick fly ‘stuff’ out’ the pepper. :slight_smile:

I also agree on the super high power lights for looking at anything very close. They are handy for some things though. I live on a river and have used high power lights to search for people stranded in the river and on a nearby island.

Boys and their toys goes a long way to explain super powerful lights. While women look for shoes and purses we buy high horsepower cars, and high tech guns, golf clubs, fishing equipment etc. always looking for an edge and frankly bragging rights. It wasn’t any different in ancient times. People excavating ancient artifacts find huge finely crafted spear points and knives with no practical use other than, bragging rights. As I said, “It’s all good.” :bigsmile:

^

This.. +1

(I made the quote a bit shorter)

Yeah OL… I’ve got to agree (mostly). The lights I use 95% of the time are of the 70-300 lumen/flood variety.
Living in a highly-urbanized country there is really not much need for a 400Kcd monster; so my K40Vn gets put into service to impress friends usually :bigsmile:
It’s a guy thing, I guess… just like many women I know just love have a closet full of shoes (like my wife).
They have their thing and we have ours. Isn’t that great?

FOR OLD LUMENS! ,I didn’t copy it right!

I feel that high powered lights are nothing more than useless toys for boys, but that’s what we do don’t we?

Tell that to someone doing SAR ? :open_mouth:

We all have different preferences, views and opinions,but there are uses for high powered torches!! :slight_smile:

I love them,I am a turbo freak! lol!

I use my TK-75 and BST to walk my Siberian!! :wink: Wait a minute,these are on wooded trails and isolated country roads where all we see are wildlife.

I sort of agree. There’s only a handful of flashlights I see that benefit a bit from overmodding such as the STL-V6, K40, BTU and TN31. I mean if you are spending already 100-200 bucks on a flashlight and paying 100-200 bucks on modding it. Might as well go DIY HID and light half the countryside up while walking. Why buy ever new mod or the next 2-3 similar lights to mod? Just step up and buy a polarion or DIY 100 watt HID spotlight or 85w fleabay HID. They fleabay is around 85 bucks with free shipping and beat any non modded BTU, TK70 etc around and prob. best bang for your buck besides a HD2010 and C8.

- Modding Flashlights is the same as Overclocking computers to make them faster and more powerful, modding cars to make them faster and more powerful, modding boats for the same.
its the satisfaction of “making somthing better, or more powerful” , regardless if the cost, time, and frustration somtimes outweigh the gains.
its what humans do. :slight_smile:

this has been discussed in many threads, including this one

read my explanation in post 53, or better yet read the entire thread

Old-Lumens, careful indeed, as folks here hold your value quite highly and respect your skill/craftsmanship :slight_smile:

I like bright lights, they tie in with two activities of mine, Rescue Officer for an Emergency Services as a volunteer and for exploration.
The more light, the better, as it’s easy enough to run at a lower level of light.

Just imagine telling a friend ur beast mod J12/J18 has a max runtime of 10 minutes or it nukes. He knowingly disobeys u and run it a hour or so. Imagine those 26650 batteries near empty in there with the body tube temp of 50 degrees Celsius. Doubling the lumens just to show off 10 minutes is not worth the danger.

I reckon that we should just let OL get on with what he does best without any fuss. He voiced an opinion like we all do at times and viola. Has anyone thought how he now feels? Lets all move on guys and enjoy the forum for what it is.