Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

Will you be selling the 12V boost driver seperately later on? What is the maximum current it can apply to the LED? I assume the driver diameter is 20mm and it will be retained by an aluminum ring just like in the C8F 21700? AT35 looks gorgeous next to the C8F, somehow it resembles a short-tubed Convoy L2 (of course, AT35 is more beautiful :heart_eyes: ). If you increase the head diameter, take advantage of the SMO reflector and use a tail switch and side switch combination it could fill the gap between C8G and SP70 in terms of throw. This host could be run with boost drivers (XHP35 HI, XHP50.2) or 3V FET (Luxeon V 4.000K 70CRI, SST40 (5.000K)). I just thought about it’s possible name but “Sofirn SP35” already exists.

+1 :+1:

I presume Sofirn uses the same rubber plug as in the SP36, so it’s quite cost effective. While this might be okay for a handheld flashlight I have some doubts it would be a good idea on a headlamp that is much more exposed to humidity (sweat, rain). Once the light gets really warm, the plug suddently pops out, i.e. water ingress is only a matter of time. It would be much better to have the USB port either concealed underneath a cap like teacher showed above or integrated in the threads just like in the D25. My favorite charging type is magnetic, though. This is to my mind the most convenient and safest kind of charging.

I think a magnetic charging is a bad idea, because it nullifies the benefit that you can use any phone charger, that you already have (or carry on a vacation/trip). Instead, you have to carry yet something else which is also unique and not compatible with other lights (manufacturers) and it’s easy to forget/lose it. When there is an option for a light with usb charging and without it, I always pick the one with the usb charging. I like this feature, but magnetic charging is a big no no. It’s worse than without it. I never buy magnetic charging lights. The only thing with magnetic charging I have is my sony phone, it has magnetic charging port (and micro usb, but you can’t use it, because its cover would quickly void its IP68 water resistance). This means I have to carry special cable with me always and its real pita, when I go on vacation or family visit, because no one can lend me his charger. usb-c/micro-usb is the way to go.

SP40 passed the waterproof test: 2m under water for 30 minutes.

If you keep the rubber tight in the place, I think it works great in cave.

There is another lucrative niche that Sofirn should consider: Sleeptrainers

In example:

LED Philips Littlebro 44510/35/16

or

Beaba Pixie

or

OXO Candela Zoom Nightlight

or

Zazu GINA

I looked at Alibaba and found few products that in my opinion Sofirn could improve and if properly advertised sell with good profit. E.g.

Plastic panda touch table lamp usb energy saving night light
or

Multicolor Soft Dolphin Silicone LED Night Light for Kids

I’m sorry, did Sofirn ask for new product ideas? I think I missed that.

Kind of…

:wink:

When I was a kid, I had a 2x D-cell Maglite.
Just sayin’

My (3 year old) daughter has some AA Energizer thing, but keeps stealing my BLF 348 and then shining it in my face… hooray retinas (10440, not AAA)

Sofirn SP36 Anduril 4x Sumsung LH531D 5000k Version can be preordered now on banggood. click me
Normal Price:$78.99
Coupon Price: $46.99
Coupon Code:BLFSP36

Link

That’s great news Barry! :+1: :beer:
Can you please post a picture of the label that is attached to the LED reel from Samsung that was used for the SP36 with LH351D 5.000K? I will be glad to „translate“ all the information about flux bin and chromatic bin. Thank you!

Before I pull the trigger on one, am I reading it correctly that the C8T is limited to 4.5A? If so…. hello Osram Flat White 1mm.

I had to do it.

Third SP36, if i could have easily got the driver out i would had put Anduril on it myself.

Still its only money LOL.

Hello Thomas,

Let me add, that from my current purchase, I got an SF14 V2.0, which had glued bezel, so I cannot open it and replace LED. Could you please update the row in the table?

If you have not opened it yet, how do you know it’s glued as opposed to just really tight?

Thomas would probably need confirmation of glue before putting it on the list.

…or a left-hand thread. :laughing:

The SF14 doesn’t have a removeable bezel at all.

You can remove the driver/pill/MCPCB by unscrewing the battery tube from the head of the light and using tweezers or snap ring pliers to unscrew the internals. I believe both the retaining ring and pill/board combo are reverse threaded.

I reflowed an LH351D into mine and its great - nice floody beam perfect for a smaller EDC light like that. A suspension clip is a great replacement for the very “eh” clip that comes stock on the light.

SF14, yes. But the SF14 V2.0 is constructed differently. No retaining ring. Driver appears to be glued in, you can see a little evidence of that in one of my pictures: my quick impression here

Sf14 v2 is not mod friendly. I bought a bunch of them only to find out it is not constructed the same as the SF14 original. Very disappointing. I hope Sofirn brings back the original SF14.

how do you want to mode it?