Anduril 2 feature change suggestions

Easiest is definitely using SammysHP’s docker image : Building Anduril with Docker

4 Thanks

I started a bit of work on fully-configurable strobe a while back, but it never worked quite right (mostly in adjustment; there are some combinations of frequency and duty cycle for tactical and for ontime and delay for party that either don’t work or do something weird, while others work fine). If there’s demand I’ll try and find some time though, maybe if I get my devboard project up and running to reduce the annoyance of having to constantly reflash to test.

Yup, I’m a total muggle in the software/programming world,
followed the guidance in that thread and succeeded compiling hex files for TS10, SP10 Pro, etc…
no customization or editing yet, only compiling what’s available here :
~toykeeper/flashlight-firmware/anduril2
(~toykeeper/flashlight-firmware/anduril2 : revision 657 , click “download tarball”)

1 Thank

Yes Sir! :saluting_face:
(especially for me who knows basically nothing about C language, let alone Assembler )

1 Thank

For any software-muggle who’s interested in compiling Anduril hex file, please read that thread, SammysHP’s Docker method works great.
I’m using Windows 10 laptop btw.
terminal: PowerShell, I didn’t try with Command Prompt, YMMV.

On windows, I’ve been using WSL2 with great success. windows subsystem for linux - version 2 - uses a real linux kernel from what I understand, and you can access the linux filesystem in windows explorer with the “explorer.exe .” command (from linux, and don’t forget the “.” at the end).

So, yesterday it took me less than 2 minutes to fire up ubunty (straight from windows), update the linux programs, update the repository and compile.

This is the method I use Anduril ... 2? - #353 by elendur (I just added a few steps to what ToyKeeper originally suggest doing).

2 Thanks

Thank you,
I’ll try your method later, next weekend maybe.
Which version of Linux do you use for Step #1 ?

ubuntu. I’m not going the lie, the first run takes more than the 2 minutes I quoted, but it’s easy afterwards. Just take notes of what you do so you can come back to it later.

1 Thank

Whoa-
I got on here hoping to digest some programming info, (lol, need more sleep for that I guess) but found it cool to find someone that knows the difference between tig and stick (now that’s my language) and programming :smiley:

1 Thank

:grin:

Yup, that’s so cool !

I did a little bit of stick weld yesterday,
I know very little about MIG,
nothing about TIG and less than nothing about programming :grin:

2 Thanks

I’m sure it won’t be so simple for me,
not because of the complexity of the method but because of my lack of knowledge.
but hopefully I’ll be able to overcome the trouble,
like when I was trying SammysHP’s method with Docker and anduril-builder image

Docker and WSL2 work well together. Just install the Docker Desktop package, then in WSL2 Docker should work out of the box, or if not, you might need to set up the group (usermod -a -G docker $(whoami)), reopen any open WSL programs/terminals, then it should work.

This is like “another level of TIG welding” to me :thinking::thinking:, now I’m even more clueless than before.
Docker and WSL2?

I thought it’s :

A. Docker + SammysHP’s anduril-builder image = compile/build hex files.
(SammysHP’s method mentioned by @thefreeman)

or

B. WSL + Linux = compile/build/make hex files.
(ToyKeeper’s method mentioned by @elendur)

I’ve tried method A and most builds have succeeded (a few failed),
and I’ve got hex files for my SP10 Pro, TS10, SC21 Pro (all reflashes have been successful).

1 Thank

Ah, ignore what I said then. But yeah, Docker and WSL2 do work well together, I tend to use WSL as a general terminal environment fairly equally with cygwin (another Linux-like system for Windows) and WSL. Just that pulling the docker image is a lot more convenient than installing the AVR build toolset manually first.

I was trying to say that I’m clueless about “method B” ,
I’m OK with “method A” (I’ve got quite a few hex files using that method, reflashing my SC21 Pro multiple times to try the result of the edited cfg-.h files).

So, for my next “experiment” I’m gonna uninstall Docker Desktop.
My laptop will then be without Docker Desktop.
Then try “method B”, do you think it’s gonna work?

1 Thank

@jon_slider , I’m sorry if I’ve made too much clutter in your thread, it’s my rookie habit I guess :grin:
You’ve started a good discussion, thank you so much. and
thanks so much to everyone who have given their explanations about Anduril, cfg-.h files, compiling hex files etc etc…
Thanks ToyKeeper, @gchart, @SammysHP, @wolfgirl42, thefreeman, @elendur

I’ve learned a lot from this thread,
EDC flashlights have become more and more fun and meaningful to me

no worries at all
I admire your enthusiasm and applaud your efforts.
carry on :wink:

2 Thanks

Rather refreshing for me to see both of you here, same reason! Nice to see I’m not the only fabricator flashlight nut… OR only computer geek with a welder. :smiley:

I can stick wonderfully(most of the time lol), flux core MIG(auto body stuff), Some MIG and have done TIG; I suck at that… which is amazing since its just electric torch welding and I’m not bad with a oxy/acyt rig… but I digress.

Once upon a time I could do C+ like my TIG… lol. I can kinda read it now, but can’t write it. Hoping to pick it up more this time around, maybe as good as my rough MIG… :wink:

Think you’re having a hard time, try getting either any of this to run on windows 8.1!! Not as old as @jon_slider s Mac, but not much friendlier to this software.

I almost have Docker working… Almost. It requires a BIOS setting to be right, but won’t believe what my BIOS tells it… Ugh.

I might try method B this weekend but I’m not hopeful.

2 Thanks

I can just about get two pieces of metal to stick together, but I’ve only ever tried it like twice and don’t have one at home. Just heard and liked that as an analogy about learning the harder thing first and then the easier. C was one of my first proper languages (HTML/JS don’t count) too.

3 Thanks

I like this place b/c there’s lots of people here that like to build / create stuff…they just use different tools. I’m always amazed at how something extremely complicated/ difficult can look so easy in some people’s hands- even more so at the ones who can teach it to you in a way that you can uderstand. That said, I’m not sure I’m ever going to learn programming like someone such as yourself who’s obviously whos been doing it for a long time.

Probably best I stick with what I’m good at…metal.
Though the Stick welding I learned as a kid on the farm progressed on to tig and mig in high school then a number of jobs at fab shops,I always said I didn’t want to be a welder for a living.

Well, It’s turned from my fallback profession to building tig welded Stainless and Titanium race car/ bike exhaust systems/ suspension components, stuff that’s actually fun and has kept my interest for the last 10 years. One of these days I’ll build something I can actually keep :smiley:

4 Thanks