ANDURIL used in higher end lights

That was one of the first things I had changed:

It adds a short delay at the transition from one channel to another so that you have a chance to stay at max regulated.

Done. Can be enabled in the global config menu like the 2C turbo behavior:

Already done. :wink:

It was good/necessary in Narsil where there was no other way to ramp down, but your Andúril has CC&H. It is more consistent to remove auto reverse. In addition, I wonder if reversing the direction is really more often used than keeping the direction. I really don’t like it and often found myself waiting for the timeout.

BTW, Crecendo, you will know this, also doesn’t reverse the direction. Using it is more straight forward for me.

Please make a poll. Maybe it’s only me, but maybe more people are bothered by this inconsistent action.

Edit: BTW, ramping is too fast for me, too. But I’m 53yo ;-).

Maybe 3-4 preset mode, like slow - medium - fast - mega faster

I learned a lot reading this thread but I’d like to learn more. Is there a place with more documentation about Anduril (1 & 2) for someone interested in creating their own branch?

Maybe some tips and tricks to avoid bricking lights?

Thanks!

^
this

2.4, 4.8, 7.2, 9.6 seconds? Who would use something even slower than 4.8 s?

> [Unheard] BTW, ramping is too fast for me, too. But I’m 53yo ;-).

Recent version of the software changed this, I think, so you might try reflashing.

> [Toykeeper] License…

Please keep it GPL3, that is what attracted me to it in the first place, preserving the end user’s ability to get the code and reprogram the light. Every damn poser Ferengi whines about GPL code because they want a handout for proprietary products, but then they use Linux and GCC anyway so it’s fine. If they want people to write proprietary code for them, they can bloody well pay the developers for that.

> [Mass market]

In mass market electronics the AVR is actually a fairly expensive part, and a mass market light is more likely to use something like a Padauk processor that has a few dozen bytes of ram and costs a couple of cents instead of close to $1. So Anduril doesn’t compete there on hardware cost grounds. That is fine, most people don’t want to hack their lights anyway.

It would be great if the strobe could use the last ramped/stepped brightness level (mode memory). I don’t ask for much!

TK

good exposition

could you possibly rank the factors in order ?

1. would be the main reason why anduril isn;t everywhere
  2. the next most important

so on

but i get it

i was guessing cost was the main thing

one thing i get from the whole thread is, there are many ways it could cost more, besides just needing ATTiny
including hardware redesigh, safety issues
and a bunch of other stuff

what i REALLY want is anduril to run somehow on alkaline/nimh voltages, 1.35

which i think the ATTiny cannot do.

That is not really a limitation. The upcoming Sofirn SP10 Pro will have Anduril and works with NiMH down to 1 V (and less).

Sofirn SP10 Pro runs on NiMh

output on NiMh:

interested if it also costs $18

is it out yet, when is it avail?

Am I the only one who thinks these fancy user interfaces only work when one is using the dominant hand and the dominant finger? Now to be perfectly honest, I do not have a real Anduril on any of my light but an imitation of it. However, the concept is still the same.

For example, take Wurkkos WK30 light. It is next to impossible to get red emitter or UV emitter to work if the light is in my left hand. I then tried to use my right (dominant) hand to do the same but used different (than the usual/normal) finger to do the 2-click or 3-click as necessary. It only resulted in blinding myself because the light went in to full white blast as the MCU behind the switch interpreted those clicks much differently than my intention.

I am assuming there will be similar issues even with real Anduril firmware.

Comments?

post here:

I don't have any issues with getting accurate UI switch responses when using my non-dominant hand on any of my Andúril lights.

The problems your having are less likely the result of your flashlight's UI firmware than it is with either the physical pressure and/or placement input applied by your finger/thumb, or the mechanical/electrical intricacies of your flashlight's switch.

It's not the fault of the UI, it's your brain. :-]

Luckily your brain was delivered with an upgradeable firmware, i.e. you can adapt and learn new things - including using a complex flashlight UI with your non-dominant hand. ;-)

Try using your flashlight exclusively with your non-dominant hand for a month - you will get a lot better.

One of month of training to use the flashlight! I like that solution.

I like how you left out all the important parts of the argument.

About everyone is slower with their non-dominant hand so it's kind of natural that you won't be as good/quick until, well, you do some training.

Anduril has rather "short timings", so you need to click quickly and precisely.

I’m sure this has been mentioned elsewhere and previously, and I realise there are many technical issues. What I reckon would be really cool would be USB or ideally (but with even more issues) Bluetooth configuration. Essentially flashlight runs in similar to simple mode, but plug in or link via phone and set all the advanced things you want without having to resort to complex flow diagrams or custom compile options.

It would add to the cost, I don’t know if any aTiny chips are really up to this, but it would be really cool linked to an app on your phone to set all the advanced options. Sliders to set step/ramp levels etc etc. Rgb pickers for aux etc.

Just as well dreams are free!

That is already done by a company called Knog who have an app called ModeMaker which uploads modes via USB.