Andúril2 on a Lexel buck driver

I’ve just bought an original 219C MF01 (not s, not mini), modded with a Lexel buck driver. I like it very much but at the moment it’s running NarsilM. Through various scientific methods I’ve come to the conclusion that Andúril2 is objectively awesome and everything should run it.

Unfortunately I’ve never done any low level Atmel (or MCU in general) development and I don’t want to risk damage to my pretty new shiny toy by using it as a first-steps learning platform.

Where should I start if I want to make this happen? Is there a reason this shouldn’t or couldn’t be done? Could it be as simple as applying the configs listed here to Andúril2 codebase and compiling?

Hmm, the 3 channels ramp is probably for the FET+x+x drivers.

For the buck driver there is probably only one PWM channel for PWM dimming, but it could also use a second channel for analog dimming, or maybe only one channel for analog dimming… Without the original hwdef and cfg file you’ll have to look at the board to make them. There is no pictures on Lexel threads anymore. But as an example the BLF GT XHP35 use the same IC , LM3409 (U3)

Pin 2 on LM3409 is ADJ for analog dimming, there is a RC filter and divider from pin6 of the T85, meaning analog dimming is used with a PWM channel on T85pin6, LM3409 pin 3 is the EN/PWM pin for enable and PWM dimming, but probably not used for PWM dimming, just for turning on the buck IC.

I’m guessing Lexel would have used only PWM dimming ? so a PWM pin directly connected to LM3409 pin 3 (EN) and nothing to pin 2. If you post a pic we could see if that’s the case.

Then you would look where the e-switch and the Batt level divider is connected on the T85, check the values to determine what to put in the hwdef file. Then generate a single PWM ramp table for the cfg file.

Edit: never mind I didn’t see the source files for it.

Thank you both!

This is the best I can do. I’m not equipped to properly de/solder MCPCBS, esp. when they’re thermally bonded to a massive heatsink so I can’t remove the driver.

What’s the worst that could happen? Is the current limit imposed by the MCU?

I do not recognize this driver. Its written GT firmware. If so , flash BLF GT firmware. In case dumb- back up old firmware

I took some scope readings of my MF04S driver that lexel made which says GT firmware. It used the same pins as, and worked with the stock BLF GT firmware.

Is the voltage readout correct? Is yours also modded to use 4S1P cell configuration?

Thanks, I’ll try that once I’m a bit more confident about this being safe for the light.

Worked up the courage. The GT image works a treat. Thank you all!

I have an MF04S with a Lexel MF02 buck driver for XHP70 with 4s carriers. I would like to flash it with Anduril 2. I am using the command prompt and AVRDUDE on my PC. Using my chip clamp that I use for other lights, I am not able to connect to the MCU. I have a ‘dummy’ BLF GT driver that I can connect to and flash, and I’ve flashed a GT, FW3a, and HL3a, without issue. I’ve double checked pin 1 a couple times. The lexel driver MCU marking is “ATMEL 1730 / TINY85 / 20SU.” The GT’s MCU marking is “ATMEL 1717 / TINY85 / 20SU.” Any ideas?

Is the light fully functional otherwise? First thing on my mind would be the chip clip making poor connection, perhaps caused by flux residue or oxidation on the MCU’s pins. Try cleaning them with some isopropanol and a lint-free swab.

Light is functional.

I reflowed the MCU pins with flux, cleaned up, and tried again. Same result. I’m running the command ‘avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n’ and getting ‘enable target doesn’t answer’ and ‘initialization failed’. Light still works fine with NarsilM.

Maybe this light just really wants to keep NarsilM. Lol.

It occurred to me shortly after the reflowing that I could just do a little MCU swap between the Anduril 2 BLF GT driver and the Lexel driver. So, I did. The light is now Anduril 2 equipped.

I’m more comfortable with my soldering gear than I am with AVRDUDE. lol.

Understandable! Glad you made it work in the end. Andúril is. the. best.