Announced: The 4th annual BLF / Old-Lumens scratch made light contest

Hopefully the winner circle.

:person_facepalming:

If time allows I may try something. Ideas abound; time aggravates!

As to dual category entries I think it’s fine but winning should be limited to one category or the other so that somebody else has a chance too. DBSAR voluntarily sitting this year out shows great character :+1: and perhaps we might consider a one year post-win exclusion in that category on winners for the same reason (they could still build for the other category next year).

Even for spectators his is going to be fun :smiley:

Phil

I disagree on both counts.

:stuck_out_tongue:

If DB wants to sit out to give others a shot that is noble I guess. I just hope it was his idea alone. Personally I would rather see him jump in. I also dont think we need a sit one out rule either. A win is a better win if you get it beating winners.

If I was in it to win it I would not be in it. I just love to see the absolute amazing lights created with whatever anyone has that would otherwise not ever see the light of day.

+1. I always prefer the champion to defend his title, but we have to support DBSAR’s decision.

That’s the spirit! Even though this is a contest, it shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Modding is fun, and so shall also this contest be… :slight_smile: Every participant will be a winner!

I’m trying to gather enough prizes so that everyone finishing their build in time will get a prize. Thanks to our generous sponsors we already have quite many great prizes, but we having more would be nice… Feel free to step in if you want to sponsor this contest by donating something. (Flashlights, host kits, components, gift cards, … Anything goes!)

I’ve seen where having a known unbeatable winner entering caused a lack of participation before. IMHO It’s not nearly a much fun racing for second place knowing you can’t possibly win which is why I mentioned the thought. As the idea seems unpopular I’ll withdraw my proposal.

If you open a category for the ugliest soldering work or ugliest member I know I can win that but somehow I doubt it would be very interesting to most folks and it would be a questionable accolade I might not want anyhow. Some questions are better left un-asked :wink:

Phil

I reckon I’m in the running for ugliest soldering. Ugliest host… I’ll wear that if it performs well :laughing:

5 days to go bump. Getting an itch I can’t scratch.

Need some inspiration on what can be made by hand?

It not light related but AAWWW!!! Holy macaroni !!

[video:YouTube

]

3 days!

You want some hand made inspiration?
Now, I know this doesn’t qualify for this contest, but it’s done by hand, intense mind boggling work by our very own Mr. Rufusbduck. I had to go all the way back to June 3, 2013 to dig this photo out, it took 40 images, focus stacked into one, to show this level of detail on this amazing little AAA MiniMag from Scott. Inspirational, to the Nth…

It was fun working with you to come up with that design. Too bad we didn’t have the tiny10 drivers back then, it would have been sooo much easier. Chopped host and driver.

I’m in for handmade. If all goes as planned the only power used will be the soldering iron. Expect the unexpected and get ready for a surprise. :laughing:

I’ve thought about this for awhile now wondering what to do, have made the decision to prioritise my time here. I am entering this years comp but the light will not be my highest priority. If I finish a light for the comp well all good. If not then I apologise in advance.
My number one priority here is the XHP70 build.
Saying this I dont want to take away the importance of the comp at all to others or myself as it is something that makes this forum special and helps set it apart from other light forums.

I think I’ll be in as well. Just still thinking which light to make…

Contest thread is now alive and the contest has started! See here: Closed: The 4th Annual BLF / Old Lumens Scratch Made Light Contest - Winners announced!