Another one! When will people freaking learn?

They dont explode when they vent into air. I’ve had one vent they just hiss and steam.

True but if the product the batt is in is air/water tight that might cause an explosion.

a fuel-air explosion still needs a igniter
you cant compare that to a rocket with 200kg of stuff getting sprayed out and ignited by a small bomb hitting a ship

the easiest fuel-air explosion is using gasoline inside a building and then hit the light switch after an explosive concentration was reached

venting lithium cell starts around 100°C nowhere hot enough to ignite the gas
also the gas venting from a lithium cell is not the bad it is when the metal starts to melt, burn and gets sprayed out

look at this video with as shortcut battery, no wonder nothing happenes, just the battery cut output when it starts to vent

and this a cheap cell with no internal protection vent valve disconnecting the cell

Yes I agree, that is why the vent holes are there in a good mod as I pointed out in my first post.

Not true they can explode and not vent. It depends on the type of fault and battery of course. Also remember the gas may travel over the hot coil and cause an explosion. Like this.

Prohibition of lithium ion batteries maybe?

How would that work then ? Banning something which many many people use and of which there is a limitless source always available of an item people would still want to get hold off.
You ban the individual cells, people would just buy/salvage laptop packs, tool packs etc etc etc.
Those that didn’t know of those many limitless sources would just buy from people who do.
Then probably criminal types would move in to the sale,distribution and smuggling of lithium ion batteries, like they do with most banned/Illegal things.

Plus any such ban would likely end up with a far far worse situation regarding safety than before they were banned.
:slight_smile:

If you will go back and read my post where I specifically mentioned “proper batteries” that means batteries that will not explode. IMR unprotected batts will not do that. There are 18650 size batteries that will, but they are not the type you should have in a mod.

you are right cheap fake cells can explode by shortcut, because they lack internal safety feature costwise

but burning even a high quality cell with a 1200°C gas burner will cause a dramatic explosion

Lithium Ion Batteries: Why They Explode

By Michigan Engineering

uhh nice video not telling any technically significant information that make a cell fail,

even worse the Laptop explosion is faked with explosives, there are no battery parts seen in any image of that explosion
or the typical spray of sparks in one direction from a cell or pack, also like no laptop on market had the battery in the middle it, usually the mainboard sits there

When vaping the coil can be at 250+ degrees Celsius. Hot enough to ignite the gases.

you are right, but if you have ever looked at vaper reviews of quality products, the vent holes are as far away from the coil as possible
and the battery compartmend is airtight towards the vaporizer

I do not know i dont vape. Makes me wonder if any components inside a torch can get hot enough to ignite the gases? If you have a short and the spring melts?

I am not really here to argue the point if batteries are safe or not. If used correctly they are safe 110% But time and time again this is happening its becoming a more common problem. Even if you say these are extreme cases 1 in 10 million or even 1 in 100 million? How many lithium ion cells are used every day? Billions?

Hundreds of thousands of these dangerous batteries :wink: produced every hour

So billions and billions out in the wild

Every few weeks some idiot does something stupid with one, as idiots do, and it makes some news.

O well, only a couple more weeks and we’ll all be back here discussing another idiot with a few less teeth and maybe some broken chinaware :slight_smile:

yeah to happen an accident with lithium batteries a series of mishaps have to take place plus bad luck

we are talking of billions of lithium batteries used every day and maybe a few dozen accidents a year
and like most of the accidents are caused by bad engeneering
(going beyond safe to make it smaller or simply XXXfire ones produced as cheap as possible removing the safety features)

one thing for sure firearms should be forbidden for private persons
how many people are killed every week by gun accidents and people freak out by a few battery blow outs a year

And on that note, I am out of this conversation.

Yea please no gun comments! Or i will ask Sb to close the thread!

This is strictly for educational purposes only.

There ya go, that’s the problem(s) identified and addressed.

I’m not arguing a ban is a good idea, i’m trying to say governments often do things that sound good on paper

It’s not gonna happen. It just won’t.